LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

13 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:
2 hours ago, patchicago said:

I understand that the daily pcr spit tests have to be ready for pickup by 8:00 am. and that you cannot eat, drink or smoke for an hour before you spit. Does it matter how long it takes you to fill the tube? Can you start to fill the tube before you go to bed at night and then during the night to ensure the minimum amount by 8 AM? I don’t think I’ve seen whatever instructions you’re provided posted anywhere. TIA.

Expand  

It is not that difficult as long as you don't suffer with dry mouth in the morning. We did our second one today and I doubt that it took longer than two minutes. First thing and no water before,  just saliva, no phlegm and you fill it to the first blue line. The room steward will collect it when they make up the room. The first time we were going on excursions so had room service breakfast. Still no delay in completing it before eating.

thank you! I appreciate the response and I’m less worried now about being able to fill to the first blue line.

17 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

The room steward will collect it when they make up the room.

They want it before you leave the ship so if the ship docks early, they come knocking.  Ours were very insistent so we started having them ready for pickup by 8am.  She wanted our paper health survey even if we did the app version... there was a LOT of trouble with the app.  DH can't get the app to stay up on his iphone for more than a second before it crashes.  I can use the app to do the form on my android phone.  DH has done it using the room TV, but we still fill out the paper form.  It's only 4 questions about how your feel and any new symptoms, so easy either way.  They prefer electronic if you can do it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, minka34 said:

They want it before you leave the ship so if the ship docks early, they come knocking.  Ours were very insistent so we started having them ready for pickup by 8am.  She wanted our paper health survey even if we did the app version... there was a LOT of trouble with the app.  DH can't get the app to stay up on his iphone for more than a second before it crashes.  I can use the app to do the form on my android phone.  DH has done it using the room TV, but we still fill out the paper form.  It's only 4 questions about how your feel and any new symptoms, so easy either way.  They prefer electronic if you can do it.

Thanks for the additional info. This is helpful!!

• Like 1

This was issued today, July 19, by the Ministry of Health of Iceland,

Effective July 27
COVID-19 in Iceland: All Travellers Required to Present Negative Test Before Departure to Iceland 

This includes vaccinated travelers 

Here’s the link;

https://www.government.is/ministries/ministry-of-health/

Edited by firefox33

2 hours ago, BarbRN said:

I’m beginning to dread all this crap. Thought it was safe to travel vaccinated now. 

It’s not as trouble free to travel now as it was in the before days but none of this is more trouble than I’m willing to go to for a week on a ship I know I love and a country that I can see is beautiful. I’m going to make the best of it. If the weather is lousy and I don’t feel like getting soaking wet I will stay on board and enjoy my silver spirits package.

• Like 12

I was looking at the itineraries on my booking statement and it shows arrival on day seven at Heimaey Island at noon. My wildlife of Heimaey by boat excursion is it 10:30 AM.

Those of you who have already been did you notice what time you got there?

4 hours ago, minka34 said:

37 minutes ago, patchicago said:

I was looking at the itineraries on my booking statement and it shows arrival on day seven at Heimaey Island at noon. My wildlife of Heimaey by boat excursion is it 10:30 AM.

Those of you who have already been did you notice what time you got there?

I noticed that, too, but it took me at least a month!!!  Anyway, I think you might be on my cruise.  So here's the answer:  if you look at MVJ it shows we are now scheduled to arrive at 10, and the first excursions are at 10:30.  So I'm pretty sure we're arriving at 10, and that Viking changed the time somewhere after making up the itinerary.   I don't know for sure whether arrival and departure times are included in the email (or whatever it is) that we will get shortly before the cruise, but I would think so.  And I know the first time Sky went to Heimaey,  I looked at a webcam I found for Heimaey to see what I could see.  This was late morning Iceland time and I saw a tender boat come into the harbor and pull into a pier on the waterfront.  I also looked at Marine Traffic (tracking site) and it showed Sky's arrival time as around 10 Iceland time.   So we should be just fine, and have a fairly long day on the island, although I think the tender ride is kind of long.

37 minutes ago, patchicago said:

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, IheartNYC said:

Thanks for the heads up! I am working long hours till the day we leave for vacation so I would now have to find a way to squeeze in a test perhaps during my lunch break? 

Unless I missed some posts, we're just talking about tests once we're on Viking.  And if you're vaccinated, as you need to be for Viking, you don't need to be tested to get on the plane unless there's a requirement by a particular airline I'm not aware of.

5 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Unless I missed some posts, we're just talking about tests once we're on Viking.  And if you're vaccinated, as you need to be for Viking, you don't need to be tested to get on the plane unless there's a requirement by a particular airline I'm not aware of.

This came out today from government.is

As of 27 July, all vaccinated persons and those that can present a certificate of a prior COVID-19 infection must present a negative PCR or antigen (rapid) test that is no more than 72 hours old before departure to Iceland. This decision by the Minister of Health is based on recommendations from the Chief Epidemiologist.

3 minutes ago, KarNog said:

This came out today from government.is

As of 27 July, all vaccinated persons and those that can present a certificate of a prior COVID-19 infection must present a negative PCR or antigen (rapid) test that is no more than 72 hours old before departure to Iceland. This decision by the Minister of Health is based on recommendations from the Chief Epidemiologist.

Oh, yes, guess I missed that post.  Thank you.  Yet one more thing to add to my To Do list. Good thing it's easy to get tested where I live.  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I just saw the post of firefox33 and clicked on the link he provided. Starting July 27th, we are all required to provide a negative test even if we're vaccinated

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Oh, yes, guess I missed that post.  Thank you.  Yet one more thing to add to my To Do list. Good thing it's easy to get tested where I live.  

Tell me about it! My head is spinning already just trying to get everything organized. Can't wait till I'm actually on the ship and enjoying the view from my balcony

• Like 2

3 hours ago, firefox33 said:

This was issued today, July 19, by the Ministry of Health of Iceland,

Effective July 27
COVID-19 in Iceland: All Travellers Required to Present Negative Test Before Departure to Iceland 

This includes vaccinated travelers 

Here’s the link;

https://www.government.is/ministries/ministry-of-health/

From reading this, I gleaned that we do not need a certificate for travel, but just the results of the test. I ask because Walgreens will give you the results of a PCR for free within 72 hours, while the agencies I've checked who present you with a certificate within 72 hours charge anywhere from $129 to $250 per test. I sorta like free.

• Thanks 1

Just now, IheartNYC said:

Tell me about it! My head is spinning already just trying to get everything organized. Can't wait till I'm actually on the ship and enjoying the view from my balcony

Well, at least Viking will email you something at the 2 week mark which charts out what you need to do for them and for Iceland, and when.  But of course they may now need to revise/customize the letter to include testing at home.  

But timing of the test might be a little tricky.  I don't even know how long it takes to get test results these days. I guess the rapid antigen tests are fast, and allowed, so perhaps that's my best bet in order to get results (not just tested) within Iceland's timeframe. I know many sites notify by text, but I'd prefer something more concrete. We'll see.

3 minutes ago, KarNog said:

From reading this, I gleaned that we do not need a certificate for travel, but just the results of the test. I ask because Walgreens will give you the results of a PCR for free within 72 hours, while the agencies I've checked who present you with a certificate within 72 hours charge anywhere from $129 to $250 per test. I sorta like free.

That's great if they do.  I wasn't aware of that.  And some U.S. states or counties test for free, so that may be an option. 

1 minute ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

That's great if they do.  I wasn't aware of that.  And some U.S. states or counties test for free, so that may be an option. 

Our county (Wake in NC) does. We did it before we left for Iceland for our own peace of mind. Didn’t relish the idea of flying there and being thrown off the ship. 

• Like 1

Cannot comment on testing requirements to enter Iceland for vaccinated visitors; however, don’t stress over Vikings spit test!  Just spit before you brush and leave for BF or excursions! I wish someone knocked on my door this AM because we overslept!  Never had an early demand for spit!  

Florida Health Dept. in Manatee County recommended getting both tests, one in morning and one in afternoon.  Said to download App and they would send results to phone.  Lady also said they are no cost.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Testing is free in Colorado if it isn't for travel. I don't quite understand how they'll know if I'm just curious or if I'm headed to the airport.

Weird question of the day. 🙂

what does the bottom of the blue lagoon feel like?  Do we need water shoes?

do you have a towel or does it stay in a locker?  I LOVE natural hot springs, but admit to never getting out in 45 degree weather and running to the locker room.

3 minutes ago, Margigarcia said:

Weird question of the day. 🙂

what does the bottom of the blue lagoon feel like?  Do we need water shoes?

do you have a towel or does it stay in a locker?  I LOVE natural hot springs, but admit to never getting out in 45 degree weather and running to the locker room.

I had the same questions the first time. Towels and plastic slippers were provided. For a slight fee   You enter barefooted. The floor is concrete—the Blue Lagoon is, after all, man-made— and you will be sure-footed. It’s quite the experience!  You park your towel nearby on a peg. Trust me… after spending time in the pleasantly warm water, even in the winter, in the snow, you can take your time reaching for your towel and staying outside or into the building. 

• Thanks 1