LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

1 hour ago, Liz Masterson said:

Oh I have a random question for those sailing these Back to the World cruises... is Viking still giving out those cute wool bags with the travel quotes? And if so what does yours say? 

Unfortunately not - as first time Viking Cruisers I am disappointed, but hoping they will start sending them for our future cruise(s).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Yes.

The video posted on the site posted by Clay says the Jupiter passengers did not go out of the ship.  The lady who posted video said they left port 15 minutes late and deck 3 starboard is under quarantine.

11 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

The video posted on the site posted by Clay says the Jupiter passengers did not go out of the ship.  The lady who posted video said they left port 15 minutes late and deck 3 starboard is under quarantine.

But this was the previous port Akureyri- according to those on board, all went as planned today in

Seydisfjordur.
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

I just watched the film she posted and she stated the Captain advised of a "Possible" covid positive case on board. She then stated it has not been confirmed.

With respect to Deck 3, she stated only that, "She had heard the Dk 3 Stbd FSD's were closed, for quarantine, but had not gone down to verify herself". Other information was attributed to the Captain, but she did not specify the source of the alleged closing off the Dk 3 FSD's. Therefore, I assume this was not from a reliable source such as the Captain, GM, CD, etc. more likely from another pax.

FSD's on a ship can and are closed at times for many reasons. At no time during the film did she state the Captain confirmed any quarantine zone, or even a confirmed case of COVID.

We have recent experience of how these types of unconfirmed statements can seriously impact a cruise itinerary. On the 2020 WC, on seeing photos of us going ashore in Komodo wearing masks, a comment was made on a social media platform that the ship must have COVID. This was picked up by local media and the ship was banned from the next posts.

In 4 months we had zero COVID cases, but after Bali we never permitted ashore again.

Edited by Heidi13
  • Like 6

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I just watched the film she posted and she stated the Captain advised of a "Possible" covid positive case on board. She then stated it has not been confirmed.

With respect to Deck 3, she stated only that, "She had heard the Dk 3 Stbd FSD's were closed, for quarantine, but had not gone down to verify herself". Other information was attributed to the Captain, but she did not specify the source of the alleged closing off the Dk 3 FSD's. Therefore, I assume this was not from a reliable source such as the Captain, GM, CD, etc. more likely from another pax.

FSD's on a ship can and are closed at times for many reasons. At no time during the film did she state the Captain confirmed any quarantine zone, or even a confirmed case of COVID.

We have recent experience of how these types of unconfirmed statements can seriously impact a cruise itinerary. On the 2020 WC, on seeing photos of us going ashore in Komodo wearing masks, a comment was made on a social media platform that the ship must have COVID. This was picked up by local media and the ship was banned from the next posts.

In 4 months we had zero COVID cases, but after Bali we never permitted ashore again.

I didn't see the video, and thought it sounded strange.  But now I'm confused - was there a confirmed positive case of Covid on Jupiter, or possible case, or none? 

On 7/16/2021 at 8:18 AM, minka34 said:

We did the Dynjandi tour with WildWestfjords.com and it was pretty good for half the price of Viking tour. What I liked best was the small grpup, and getting to the falls well ahead of the 3 giant Viking busses. Used the facilities and got to the top of the trail before the Viking busses arrived. Had a nice drive and stopped for fresh baked pastries and coffee at a small museum before heading back to town. What I didn't like was that their sound system for the guide was not good enough to hear over much if the road noise (on gravel road much of the way).  They were accomodating and the guide repeated some of his content when the road was smooth again. They dropped us in town at a knitting shop that I wanted to see. Offered to wait and drive us to the ship also, but we chose to walk the town a little and then walk back to the ship. I enjoyed the tour, and the price!

Thank you for the info! I was looking at this tour but was very skeptical considering how  much cheaper it was compared to the Viking tour. Any other info on other self tours would be appreciated. Thanks!

21 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I didn't see the video, and thought it sounded strange.  But now I'm confused - was there a confirmed positive case of Covid on Jupiter, or possible case, or none? 

It has been over a couple of hours since I watched the film, so can't remember the exact words she used. I suggest checking out the film on the the thread Clay started on the Sky situation, it is most likely one of the last few post.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Wander58 said:

port Akureyri-

(Jupiter) one positive case. hallway quarantined for less than an hour in Akureyri. All going as planned after Akureyri.  We have SUNSHINE in Djupivigor! 😎

Edited by minka34
wording change
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

but she did not specify the source of the alleged closing off the Dk 3 FSD

(Jupiter) I should say that it was MY hallway that was quarantined with the big metal alarmed door closed.  There was a positive test on Jupiter (I don't think that I heard confirmed case), but my hallway was quarantined for cleaning, so I assume in a cabin in my hallway.  I was in the cabin for about an hour and it was open by the time we went to dinner. It wasn't nothing, but it didn't last long.  I would say that it was more startling to me than anything else, as I was just humming along returning to my cabin when - boom there was the closed door with the sign on it.  Someone with authority had to come let me in so I could get to my cabin. I think that they were very careful and wouldn't tell me the cabin number that was affected, but I had to assume it wasn't mine since we were running around the ship - DH got to the cabin 15 min before me and had no idea that the quarentine had happened.  It was handled very quickly and appropriately.  It's all over, no additional issues as of this morning and we are tendering to Djupivigor in the relatively warm sunshine and it is wonderful.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

A speculative question, did anyone from Scotland join these voyages or are planning to - what flight arrangements did you have?  Glasgow Icelandair arriving on the day of the cruise?

For those in Djupivogur today and for those at home who will be there soon: check out this webcam, which shows a nice sight if you wait for the camera to make its way around: Jupiter out in the water, a tender boat, coaches on the pier, and lots of activity in the small town of Djupivogur at the harbor! 

Live view - AXIS 233D Network Dome Camera

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea
  • Like 3

Deck 3:

Recently on Viking Venus Uk cruise and an area of Deck 3 was permanently closed off. The team looking after the area explained that it’s permanently sealed off and prepared in case of a need for quarantine. Fortunately not needed on our cruise but all part of Viking’s incredibly impressive protocols. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Tarheel1952 said:

Clay, 

Thank you so much for all of your posts.  We really appreciate all of your information and your attitude.

Debbie

(originally from Winston-Salem)

Most welcome. Just paying it forward. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

I read a previous post from a lady on deck 3.  When returning from to cabin found fire door closed.  She reported her area of deck 3 was closed off.

17 hours ago, Heartgrove said:

My device kept doing a series of flashing then stopping then flashing again. Sue's device didn't do anything. Checked with Guest Services and that is normal.

We were told that the flashing is when it is uploading info. Didn’t ever seem to be a rhyme or reason to when or how long it flashed. I was told that if it turns red that indicates a low battery. Oh, and it it starts blinking like a disco floor and plays “oops I did it again” by Brittany Spears-it means you’ve tested positive and to go immediately to throw yourself overboard 😂

• Like 10
  • Haha 9

Good morning.  I know I read somewhere about a website for doing day tours.  Hubs wants to go see the volcano when we get in.  We arrive on 21 August and will be gone almost all day on the Golden Circle tour on 22 August.  Does anyone have that website?  

Edited by vabeachlady

16 minutes ago, vabeachlady said:

Good morning.  I know I read somewhere about a website for doing day tours.  Hubs wants to go see the volcano when we get in.  We arrive on 21 August and will be gone almost all day on the Golden Circle tour on 22 August.  Does anyone have that website?  

We are doing a helicopter tour to get the most out of it quickly. There are also LOADS of walking tours. People with car rentals can just drive out there and walk, but the path seems to change quickly (lava) and so certainly recommend a guide. Our helicopter tour is with https://helicopter.is/.  I also looked at walking tours with https://guidetoiceland.is/book-trips-holiday/nature-tours/volcanoes and as you can see there are over 75 tours on offer. I have no opinion as to quality.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, kate7047 said:

We are doing a helicopter tour to get the most out of it quickly. There are also LOADS of walking tours. People with car rentals can just drive out there and walk, but the path seems to change quickly (lava) and so certainly recommend a guide. Our helicopter tour is with https://helicopter.is/.  I also looked at walking tours with https://guidetoiceland.is/book-trips-holiday/nature-tours/volcanoes and as you can see there are over 75 tours on offer. I have no opinion as to quality.

We booked helicopter tour to volcano and original date and rescheduled date have been cancelled due to weather. I think with the amount of fog in Reykjavik it might be iffy so don’t get your heart set on it like I did. It very likely won’t happen. 

18 minutes ago, Jgg630 said:

We booked helicopter tour to volcano and original date and rescheduled date have been cancelled due to weather. I think with the amount of fog in Reykjavik it might be iffy so don’t get your heart set on it like I did. It very likely won’t happen. 

Yup, weather issue is a given. Not heart set and it will mean earlier dinner in Reykjavik. (Still haven't successfully managed a hot-air balloon ride anywhere either due to same issue.)

20 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

We are back in the US at JFK awaiting our flight back to RDU. For future travelers, be sure to leave plenty of time to deal with KEF. 

We were on the Delta 10:50 am flight. 

We started down the gangway at 7:30 am

Our driver picked us up at 7:45

We arrived at KEF at 8:10. 
The lines to check in/drop bag were crazy long. Luckily we had access to Sky Priority so our wait was only 10 min or so. 
From there we went through security, then a very short stop at duty free to buy gin, an equally short pit stop, then border control, then a long walk to the Delta gates. We got to our gate at 9:30 just as boarding was starting. 

Lessons learned-if you don’t have access to priority checkin, leave at least an extra half hour. 

Have fun!

Half hour? I wish!

Waited 2 hours in line to check in/baggage for our 10 July return, arriving at KEF at ~6:30AM for 9:10AM flight. Made it thru security who for some reason singled me out as usual and to gate just in time.
Problem is Icelandair has too many early flights with too few (although still almost a dozen) gate agents for the crush. They worked hard. So busy that nobody checked our COVID test results!

Clay - We are from Cary NC and will be cruising on the Viking Sky embarking on August 14 (our 50th wedding anniversary!).  Can you share your bottom line summary opinion of the cruise?  Sounds like there have been some hiccups along the way.  We have visited Iceland briefly in past as layover on our way to Spain.  Thanks, Scott