LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

Dynjandi:

I thought I'd offer some comments on who should do Dynjandi, and who maybe should consider skipping. First, you can the waterfall directly from the road.  The hike is to get you closer to it, and to see the rocks, moss, and flowers growing in the wet environment.

OK, before "first" (zeroth?) there are ample bathroom facilities. Unfortunately all the buses seem to arrive at the same time, so perhaps there might be a line anyway.

There is a short trail from the parking area that most people should be able to do. If you don't want stairs, it even has a wheelchair accessible ramp that winds upwards. From there you can see a bit of the ground scenery. After that, though, it gets more difficult. You get some irregular steps, some quite tall. You get uneven rocks to walk on. But you also get to more viewpoints, even one with a short stretch of rapids.

To get to the upper levels, unfortunately you are walking on irregular stones that can slip. My hiking boots had very good traction, but it was important to check on each step if my new stone was stable. I'm sure that most people even into their 40s (with good hiking boots) could do this, because it is a very short hike, even if it gets a bit steep.

You never need to use your hands to clamber over rocks.

Also, it's really pretty. 8-)

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, CILCIANRQTS said:

What did they tell you about WHY you’re having a sea day instead of going ashore???

I can't add anything more than what has just been said. We don't know if anyone aboard has tested positive. We are being assured that everything possible is being done, but not a word on why there's an issue. Here in Akureyri this is not some tiny town, it's 18,000 people and there are numerous other towns in the area.

Heart of the Glacier:

I will admit that this didn't intrigue me like I was hoping, but my friend enjoyed it and others have too, so I'll try to not be too negative and stick to the facts. 8-)

We stopped first for a waterfall stop, which was quite nice. Just a 30 minute stop. We skipped the hot springs stop because we were told it had no bathrooms, and we'd thank the guide later for doing it on the way back instead. We made a VERY brief stop on the way back, and truthfully it wasn't much. He tried to convince us to skip it altogether but a few said they wanted to see it.

Unfortunately since we skipped the stop, we arrived a half and hour early at the hotel where we were having lunch. So we sat around in the hotel restaurant for the half hour until we were scheduled to eat, which is why we ran short of time for the hot springs at the end.

The lunch was quite good. A broth soup with lamb and vegetables and croutons. Main was poached cod well cooked, with mashed potatoes and vegetables.

We drove from the hotel along a gravel road to the expedition base, where we were given our gear of waterproof parkas and waterproof slip-over boots. If your foot is very big or small, make sure you bring waterproof boots that go above the ankle!

We switched into the "rocket launcher" heavy vehicle which drove us up to the edge of the glacier, and then up along the glacier to the cave. Along the way there are signs showing where the glacier was in decades past, as it is melting rapidly.

When you enter the cave you walk along some mats over the ice to a room where you get the crampons, then you follow a guide. I think the distance was well under a mile in each direction, with some slope to it. But that's not what makes the walking so demanding.

Perhaps because it had been raining straight for several days, water was dripping from ceilings, and there were pools of water ankle-deep frequently throughout the trip. As you stepped, you had to give a bit of a stomp in order to get a better grip. Several people slipped, and a couple of people had to be helped up. If your bones are fragile, this is not for you.

Maybe because of the water, some wiring that ran along the floor under the ice was now directly under foot because the ice above it had melted. Basically, I had in my mind something like an "ice hotel". This hotel was dilapidated. 8-) But it was still interesting. You can see the layering in the ice like tree rings, years where sand and dirt were high and left brown layers, and a thick layer from 11 years ago when E15 erupted.

You could see a crevasse in the ice that they had to get over, although it is much narrowed today from compaction. And the lighting effects were neat. So it's definitely an experience that will be unique for most of us. I suspect it's a stronger experience in Winter when they don't have to be pumping out the water. e.g. we were told that our usual return route was flooded so we just turned around and walked back to the entrance.

FYI if you're concerned about social distancing on excursions, there is absolutely none. You will be required to huddle close while in the cave. Most were not wearing masks.

If you want to know the real locations where we were, from Google Maps:

Barnafossar

Hótel Húsafell

Jaki, Mountaineers Of Iceland

Glacier Tunnel

Deildartunguhver

The springs may have been less interesting because they are in a construction site, so something is being done with them.

Edited by FoggyEthan
forgot stuff
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

Dynjandi

We did the Dynjandi tour with WildWestfjords.com and it was pretty good for half the price of Viking tour. What I liked best was the small grpup, and getting to the falls well ahead of the 3 giant Viking busses. Used the facilities and got to the top of the trail before the Viking busses arrived. Had a nice drive and stopped for fresh baked pastries and coffee at a small museum before heading back to town. What I didn't like was that their sound system for the guide was not good enough to hear over much if the road noise (on gravel road much of the way).  They were accomodating and the guide repeated some of his content when the road was smooth again. They dropped us in town at a knitting shop that I wanted to see. Offered to wait and drive us to the ship also, but we chose to walk the town a little and then walk back to the ship. I enjoyed the tour, and the price!

Edited by minka34
Corrections.
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

Dynjandi:

I thought I'd offer some comments on who should do Dynjandi, and who maybe should consider skipping. First, you can the waterfall directly from the road.  The hike is to get you closer to it, and to see the rocks, moss, and flowers growing in the wet environment.

OK, before "first" (zeroth?) there are ample bathroom facilities. Unfortunately all the buses seem to arrive at the same time, so perhaps there might be a line anyway.

There is a short trail from the parking area that most people should be able to do. If you don't want stairs, it even has a wheelchair accessible ramp that winds upwards. From there you can see a bit of the ground scenery. After that, though, it gets more difficult. You get some irregular steps, some quite tall. You get uneven rocks to walk on. But you also get to more viewpoints, even one with a short stretch of rapids.

To get to the upper levels, unfortunately you are walking on irregular stones that can slip. My hiking boots had very good traction, but it was important to check on each step if my new stone was stable. I'm sure that most people even into their 40s (with good hiking boots) could do this, because it is a very short hike, even if it gets a bit steep.

You never need to use your hands to clamber over rocks.

Also, it's really pretty. 8-)

I never liked tenders when I was young and more steady.  I'd love to do this tour and view the waterfall from the bottom, but nervous about getting in and out of a tender.  Thoughts?

Sorry to hear about Jupiter!  We are still a couple of hours away from Reykjavik. Cameil the General Manager just opened his bar tab for everyone on board so while the passengers are happy the bartenders and bar waiters no so much. LOL

Still no word on whether we will be able to go ashore upon arrival in Reykjavik. 🤞 that we can since we didn’t get to do so before embarking. 

Seas have calmed down to a slight roll and the sun is trying to peak through. 

and to top it all off-Mike and I won trivia!

27B0DC1B-5B38-4939-9EDB-E4140E08E1E8.jpeg

• Like 15
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

and to top it all off-Mike and I won trivia

Would love to see the questions given those answers.

Sorry you missed all those ports, but I know, from doing the crossing with you folks, that you enjoy sea days.

Tom

27 minutes ago, esther e said:

I never liked tenders when I was young and more steady.  I'd love to do this tour and view the waterfall from the bottom, but nervous about getting in and out of a tender.  Thoughts?

There are no tenders involved just a one hour bus ride

27 minutes ago, esther e said:

There are no tenders involved just a one hour bus ride

(Jupiter)

Dynjandi is a tour out of Isafjodur. No tender, we docked. I think all sailings dock at Isafjodur, but some tender the last 3 ports and others only tender the last 2.  My understanding is thst Seydisfjordur has a ferry; if the ferry is scheduled for the same day as your ship, the ferry docks and you tender.

46 minutes ago, Tom.in.nc said:

Would love to see the questions given those answers.

Sorry you missed all those ports, but I know, from doing the crossing with you folks, that you enjoy sea days.

Tom

Sky-July 10

1. Last time Roger Moore was Bond

2. Tallest Mountain in Africa 

3. Time Man of the Year in 1982

4. NATO Headquarters 

5. Length of Statue of Liberty’s index finger

6. What is Queunliskanphobia?

7. What Country popularized Wife Carrying?

8. What was banned in Indonesia for causing too much passion. 
9.? but we got it right😂

10. what was an ancient form of contraception 

11. What is the National animal of Scotland

12. What country originated the Cesar salad ?

13. What beverage originally included cocaine 

14. who is  Reginald Kenneth Dwight?

15. What is the smallest type of tree?

16. what was invented at the Raffles Hotel in Singapore?

sorry I don’t have a picture of the back with the last four questions. 

Sky July 10

Captain just announced that Iceland has confirmed that all negative testing passengers will be able to disembark tomorrow and continue their journeys as planned. 

He also said that the authorities had confirmed that passengers for the July 17th cruise could embark as planned tomorrow. 

No word yet on whether we will be able to go ashore this afternoon/evening. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

Seydisfjordur: Anyone wanting to look up whether tendering or docking is scheduled for Seydisfjordur can check the port's website.  Strandarbakki is a berth (dock). However, port schedules CAN change, so no guarantees.  But I see a lot of Strandarbakki....and ferry Norrona on different days than Jupiter and Sky.

= port schedule

http://myiceland.net/webcams/live/seydisfjordur.phpmyiceland.net = webcam

(Ignore underlining, if it appears.  Use Control & click or Command & click if necessary to pull up a link)

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

17 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

They were denied being able to go ashore this morning in Akureyri.  Haven’t seen a post lately to know if they worked it out. 

We are still on board Jupiter and no updates since the captain said the locals were inspecting protocols on the ship. Today is shot. No updates for tomorrow but would love to plan ahead…like sleep late if we can’t get off ship. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, JeriGail said:

Viking offered a gin tasting on one of the Venus' UK only cruises.  Were there any tastings available on the Iceland cruises?

Yes there was some kind of tasting on our 3 July cruise. Forget what it was.

On Jupiter

mid morning captain announced that the delay for clearance was due to Akureyri  local police still learning how to deal in post pandemic era and since we have been cleared by Iceland authorities the matter should be resolved shortly.

Note.. Local officials were still on board and Sky plus other ships had no problems.

Second announcement Captain a few hours latter said that local health officials were inspecting health protocols.

Everything else is hearsay due to lack of official communications.

WIFI is intermittent at best due to our location