LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

1 minute ago, azdrydock said:

On Jupiter

mid morning captain announced that the delay for clearance was due to Akureyri  local police still learning how to deal in post pandemic era and since we have been cleared by Iceland authorities the matter should be resolved shortly.

Note.. Local officials were still on board and Sky plus other ships had no problems.

Second announcement Captain a few hours latter said that local health officials were inspecting health protocols.

Everything else is hearsay due to lack of official communications.

WIFI is intermittent at best due to our location 

Are people wearing masks on board and on the buses like they’re supposed to now? Maybe the locals got ticked because people weren’t following the rules.

A positive o

1 minute ago, azdrydock said:

Captain just announced problems were due to positive COVID test and would announce departure and rest of journey soon

Is that a positive on Jupiter?

• Like 1

People have been mostly good about wearing masks on board except when eating or drinking. Not perfect but better than back home, definitely. On transportation to shore excursions, compliance has not been as good. Wearing a mask under your nose doesn’t do much good, in my view. Overall, however, the vast majority of people have been conscientious. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Jaea said:

Are people wearing masks on board and on the buses like they’re supposed to now? Maybe the locals got ticked because people weren’t following the rules.

Doubtful. Saw close to zero locals wearing masks on our 3 July cruise. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

Doubtful. Saw close to zero locals wearing masks on our 3 July cruise. 

The below screenshot is from covid.is  ---  going off of that (screenshot) I think it's safe to assume that's why locals weren't/don't wear masks.   

image.png.a48a33b71895bb2bbe95549ef99f9adf.png

• Like 3

1 minute ago, librarylady19 said:

Jupiter - see above posts. 

There are currently two Viking ships that are having issues in Iceland...I would rather clarify myself so assumptions aren't made by me or others.  And yes, I have seen posts above, but there are have been so many posts that I thought it'd be okay to ask.  🙂

• Like 1

For those looking for a quick summary:

Sky arrived this evening in Reykjavik, although it was scheduled to arrive tomorrow morning. Passengers were ultimately unable to explore the final 3 ports because of a positive test. No passengers were allowed off in Reykjavik upon arrival. The expectation is that everyone will be permitted off in the morning.

Jupiter arrived this morning in Akureyri, but because of a positive test result not passengers were permitted off. It was announced that someone came on board to randomly PCR test passengers, but we do not know the outcome. Upon departure it was announced that the Coast Guard will let us disembark at the next port of call, but there are many ways that this could still go wrong, so I'm not raising my hopes yet.

-- Ethan

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

I find it ironic that Iceland says here they “relied on the science to guide its response.” That’s not what they are doing now.

The key is that the health authorities are acting sanely, but the coast guard and local officials appear to not have been convinced in advance and are now acting on fear. Hopefully it can be smoothed out for us (Jupiter) and future cruisers.

• Like 7

56 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

it was announced that the Coast Guard will let us disembark at the next port of call

(Jupiter) Captain stopped by at the table next to ours at dinner. Said he was 95% sure (not a quote) we'd be able to dock and go ashore in Seydisfjordur tomorrow. The authorities said our protocol was excellent (again paraphrasing).

56 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

I find it ironic that Iceland says here they “relied on the science to guide its response.” That’s not what they are doing now.

Well, Iceland has a higher percentage of vaccinated people compared to the U.S., so I can understand their initial hesitation at allowing a whole ship full of Americans unloading in their country.  And of course, cruise ships have a bad reputation, deserved or not.  But hopefully what they found by inspecting the ship will allay their fears a little, plus pave the way for future cruisers. 

But I haven't read much more about Jupiter this afternoon.  Were any positive cases found on her, either by Viking's testing or the health authorities who came on board to test?  From a post above, I can't tell. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

But I haven't read much more about Jupiter this afternoon. 

Look at the post started by Clay titled something like "Covid on the Viking Sky" the Jupiter covid info is shared there.

Here's the link:

Edited by minka34
Adding link

On 7/14/2021 at 5:53 PM, SantaFe1 said:

No I think not.  Felicity and her husband only bought the island two years ago.  Before that she was a polar explorer.  

Her husband was Icelandic and they wanted to buy the island it was a bidding war starting at 2.5 million and an American almost bought it but wanted to put in a helipad.  So these two are pretty rich.

1 hour ago, minka34 said:

(Jupiter) Captain stopped by at the table next to ours at dinner. Said he was 95% sure (not a quote) we'd be able to dock and go ashore in Seydisfjordur tomorrow. The authorities said our protocol was excellent (again paraphrasing).

I talked to the Captain in the stairwell and he repeated that he was very hopeful that we would be able to go ashore tomorrow. 

• Like 4