LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

46 minutes ago, vslparis said:

It was on the last night . We came back to the room and it was there .

Well, that explains it.  We never got delivered anything, including our negative covid tests, that last night,  Had to go down to guest services at 10 pm.  Maybe our room steward fell asleep.  Too bad.  It would have made a nice addition to our couple of equator crossing certificates and the one for crossing the international date line.  

2 hours ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

Those who have been…is it worth waking at 530 am to see scenic fjord?

I haven't been, but just a comment/question: Which fjord, the one with Akureyri, or any?  I don't know, but at least you go back out the way you came.  Therefore, unless dinner and a show or whatever gets in the way, with those very long days, you'll be able to see the fjord on the way out!  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, travelinjones said:

We took this excursion in Heimaey on while on the July 3 sailing. (By the way, once onboard, we received a notice that this optional excursion originally marketed as an "extension" has been converted to a 3.5 hour tour that covered both the included tour and this Eldfell Mountain Hike.)  Friday, July 9th --the day we visited Heimaey Island -- was the only bad weather day of our cruise. It was raining, cold and very foggy, so we could see nothing on the hike, even the part before going up the mountain. We had a great guide, who kept a small group of us going by saying "only 10 more minutes," while others dropped out at various parts of the tour and headed to the museum portion of the tour or back to the ship. 

To answer your question, I would consider the "climbing up the mountain" part of the tour very strenuous, but that was in part due to the weather and fog that made it difficult to see more than a few feet in front of you, and we were rain-soaked. At the very top, we took turns reaching into the "hole" in the picture, where you can feel the volcanic heat, and where the locals often bake bread to show the heat. 

Eldfell Mountain.jpg

Thanks for the report.  Now the excursion makes sense.  I hope we have better weather.

Currently on Jupiter in Akureyri. Got here at 8:00 and 2 hours later we are all still stuck on ship. It sounds like the local police don’t want us getting off even though we were precleared by Icelandic government. 

Tour busses just left empty. There was an ambulance that just left, not sure if empty, but there were nurses leaving in a vehicle after stuffing their garb into bins before gettingin their vehicle ... I don't think we are getting off the ship, but who knows... maybe a shuttle bus if there wasn't a case on board.

More specifically, on the Jupiter the local authorities came onboard to perform a random sampling of guests to take PCR tests, and we're waiting on the results. Which kinda implies to me that someone tested positive, but truly we don't know. It's odd that no one official is commenting on it.

Just read on another site, and apparently confirmed by a crew member, that the ambulance outside of Jupiter this morning was for a passenger that slipped, fell, and broke a hip. Bummer for that person, what a sad thing to have happen, especially on vacation. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, minka34 said:

Just read on another site, and apparently confirmed by a crew member, that the ambulance outside of Jupiter this morning was for a passenger that slipped, fell, and broke a hip. Bummer for that person, what a sad thing to have happen, especially on vacation. 

That is terribly sad. Perhaps the ambulance is completely unrelated to whyever Akureyri is blocking us.

3 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

Viking Jupiter:

I thought people might be curious what they're doing about our new sea day. Here is the new update Daily for today:

1626435074946-0fa96785-ca59-4f17-83c0-3f24652d08ae.jpg

1626435044461-0a9a0f17-db15-4156-bfd9-3b93dfe81689.jpg

What did they tell you about WHY you’re having a sea day instead of going ashore???