LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

Trying to think of some things to tell people about the Jupiter:

• I don't know how many are on board (yet) but it seems incredibly empty.
  • Max 2 people per hot tub and 4 per pool. That's super low, especially for the pools.
  • Chef's Table: Asian Panorama, Scandinavian, California.
  • The weather gods are not in our favor. Tomorrow the vedur.is weather service is forecasting for Reykjavik and the areas just inland high 40s, 25-30mph winds, and frequent rain. So just be prepared with good gear because Iceland is not predictable.
  • There were 3 tours that were strangely missing from the Jupiter's itinerary vs. Sky. The Husavik geobaths, Djupi kayaking, and the nature cruise in Heimaey. ALL were available to book on board. We boarded late and yet all were still available.
  • FYI on day 1 the spa was only open for touring and no afternoon tea. Tomorrow the movie will be in the theater "Butch Cassidy". The planetarium has not yet had any events announced for days 1 or 2.

Not sure what else to tell for now. I'll add some photos later.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Clay Clayton said:

That's the one. We are eating there tomorrow so I'll try to see if I can find out what's coming next. 

What?????   Who is eating reindeer?  Is that one of the Chef's Choices dinners?   Which one?   What are the others and what is the menu?   

Can someone tell me....does Iceland stamp your passport?  I have been to a lot of places and the only stamps I have in my passport are Halifax and Cuba.  

Another question:   Iceland says to fill out the assessment within 72 hours of arrival in Iceland and someone said it was 72 hours from your first flight.   Which is it?   Our first flight is at 2.30 PM on Friday and our arrival in Iceland is 8.30 AM on Saturday so there is a difference.   

Thanks so much to all of you'll who are going before for cluing us in to what is expected from us and what we can expect when we arrive.  It is much appreciated.

Thank you all for the comments on rollators.  I was thinking the ramp was much like what it's like in FLL to get on HAL.  But that's in a huge building.  I did cancel all my tours that were tendered because I didn't feel secure enough and it would take too much time to hold up other pax.

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

Trying to think of some things to tell people about the Jupiter:

• I don't know how many are on board (yet) but it seems incredibly empty.
  • Max 2 people per hot tub and 4 per pool. That's super low, especially for the pools.
  • Chef's Table: Asian Panorama, Scandinavian, California.
  • The weather gods are not in our favor. Tomorrow the vedur.is weather service is forecasting for Reykjavik and the areas just inland high 40s, 25-30mph winds, and frequent rain. So just be prepared with good gear because Iceland is not predictable.
  • There were 3 tours that were strangely missing from the Jupiter's itinerary vs. Sky. The Husavik geobaths, Djupi kayaking, and the nature cruise in Heimaey. ALL were available to book on board. We boarded late and yet all were still available.
  • FYI on day 1 the spa was only open for touring and no afternoon tea. Tomorrow the movie will be in the theater "Butch Cassidy". The planetarium has not yet had any events announced for days 1 or 2.

Not sure what else to tell for now. I'll add some photos later.

Just keep posting. We board the Jupiter next week and are very interested.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Camden lady said:

Can someone tell me....does Iceland stamp your passport?  I have been to a lot of places and the only stamps I have in my passport are Halifax and Cuba.  

Got passport stamps entering and  leaving. 

KEF Enter 180702.jpg

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sfocruiser said:

Got passport stamps entering and  leaving. 

KEF Enter 180702.jpg

That's 20 years ago, right? Those days there were much less people - we have travelled to Iceland a few times and each time I would smile and ask for the stamp. The last time I was in Iceland was in 2007 (first time was in 1983). I have since passed through Keflavik a few times and the airport has become much much busier and the immigration officials just glanced at the passports. If you ask nicely they might stamp your passport.

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

That's 20 years ago, right? Those days there were much less people - we have travelled to Iceland a few times and each time I would smile and ask for the stamp. The last time I was in Iceland was in 2007 (first time was in 1983). I have since passed through Keflavik a few times and the airport has become much much busier and the immigration officials just glanced at the passports. If you ask nicely they might stamp your passport.

We traveled through last week and were stamped without asking.  picture was from the Web 

Edited by sfocruiser
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, sinsonte said:

I traveled to Iceland in 2018 and I just looked at my passport and have entry and exit stamps.

we were surprised we got them.  As immigration was swamped in and out.  You would think they might nix the stamps to speed things up.   We were so jet lagged that we didn’t think to look for a stamp until we were in our cabin 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, esther e said:

Mine 3 wheels and no seat.  I use it mostly for balance security and it makes walking much easier.  But pushing it up a ramp is another question.  I am surprised there are no wheelchairs and helpers available.

If the ramp is in use, it will be difficult to use a three wheeled device since there are foot grips of a sort running crosswise down the middle of the ramp -- triangular bar, 12+ inches across and protruding an inch or more from the surface of the ramp like a triangular-shaped speed-bump.  There are also handrails along both sides of the ramp.

Maybe someone who is on-board currently could share pictures with you of the various configurations that you could encounter over the course of the cruise.

45 minutes ago, Kerrfamily said:

can someone one who took the Zodiac trip in Djupivogur please tell me they made a stop by Diamond beach? thank you! 

Yes, we stopped on the way back to the ship for about 20 minutes.  We thought it was one of the best tours ever, I’m sure beautiful weather helped.

7 hours ago, TayanaLorna said:

Would someone currently on the Sky post the telephone number for the ship while in Iceland.  Thanks.

Lorna, when we had a problem at the airport in KEF, I tried to call the ship from my cell phone and it would not connect. The attendant in the Saga Lounge tried to help me and even tried to place the call from a land-line but that didn't work either.

The number is +1-323-870-4740.  This is the number that is given in our final docs and on the Viking Daily every day. One would hope that if this is the number we are given for contacting the ship in case of emergency while we are in Iceland that one would actually be able to put the call through and reach the ship.

Viking also gave us a 24 hour emergency numbers for problems with flights prior to departure. Someone from the first sailing has already reported that when they called the number, it was the insurance company and that they were unable to help them with their problem.

1 hour ago, Kerrfamily said:

can someone one who took the Zodiac trip in Djupivogur please tell me they made a stop by Diamond beach? thank you! 

Yes, we stopped at Diamond Beach briefly, can't remember if it was 10 or 15 minutes. There were two items of interest here, the beach and the ice lagoon (the one we didn't go to).

Crew member told me only 400 pax on the Jupiter for July 13th sailing.  We got a reservation at the Chefs Table for the last day, the only day for the California menu, which we have never had.  Last night we walked up and got into the Chef's Table with no waiting, for Asian Panorama menu.  We were seated at a window table - not crowded. We liked the menu very much.

I think the ramp here at Reykjavik is the steepest ramp I've been on.  Also seems like it might be slippery when wet.  We might find out later today.