LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

5 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

BIG HEADS UP: if you are not heading from ship to airport, make sure you check the date on your test results as soon as they arrive in your cabin.  Ours were dated for THURSDAY  and not FRIDAY.  

My bad.  I did not look at the test date.  We are sitting at the airport fortunate  to have gotten our boarding passes and I am about to call the ship.  

And double triple check the teeny tiny names on the saliva tube sticker as we received our neighbor's tubes on the last day which is the one used for the final test to receive results for your flights back home! We caught it..our neighbors did not! 

Ok

15 hours ago, KarNog said:

Virgin question here. I have the Silver "Bullet" (I forget the name - told ya I was a virgin) drink package. What does that mean re this list? These are included? Part of me says "wheeee" Part of me (the liver part) says "oh no!"

Any wine by the glass is included.  You get a discount on a bottle.  

FYI it’s Silver Spirits

• Like 3

Can someone please clarify if "everyone" goes  through Harpa Concert Hall prior to the port--or is this only for people who have bought their air through Viking? 

We booked our flights independently and will arrive on a Friday morning in August.  We board the Sky on Saturday.  Can we just take a taxi from our hotel on Saturday to the port or we we also go through Harpa to get our key cards, etc through Viking?  

Thanks! 

16 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

Forgot to post this yesterday. Talked to the general manager yesterday and we are scheduled to have 760 passengers aboard this week. However a number of passengers were not aboard yesterday (due to flight issues) but most were expected to arrive today.  I know that several arrived today but don’t know how many. 

I’m sitting with JM0115 (and his lovely wife) and we can’t remember the exact number but it was under 850. He also said that to his knowledge that these Welcome Back cruises would not be at full capacity. 
YMMV

If someone has the travel and connection issues and misses boarding the ship on Day 1 arriving next day, how does one let Viking know they are going to be late.  No Viking Air so they wouldn't know that way.  Have Viking shuttle from airport but do they track no shows.  Apparently the phone number on our Travel Docs does not work in Iceland (Peregrina).  Two seats would be open on Day 2 excursion.  It was not something i wanted to think about until what happened last weekend.  Our flight from SJU arrived hours after our JFK international took off.

39 minutes ago, Buddysmom10 said:

Can someone please clarify if "everyone" goes  through Harpa Concert Hall prior to the port--or is this only for people who have bought their air through Viking? 

We booked our flights independently and will arrive on a Friday morning in August.  We board the Sky on Saturday.  Can we just take a taxi from our hotel on Saturday to the port or we we also go through Harpa to get our key cards, etc through Viking?  

Thanks! 

We purchased Viking transfers only and did a check in at Harpa and got key cards for boarding. Our issued personal tracking devices wouldn't work so we got them at port boarding. No idea what happens at port without key cards.

Edited by philw1776

7 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

BIG HEADS UP: if you are not heading from ship to airport, make sure you check the date on your test results as soon as they arrive in your cabin.  Ours were dated for THURSDAY  and not FRIDAY.  

My bad.  I did not look at the test date.  We are sitting at the airport fortunate  to have gotten our boarding passes and I am about to call the ship.  

That's horrible. From dailies, Viking Sky Iceland phone: +1 323 870 4740

4 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Here's our view of Jupiter, from the port's webcam today389284548_jupiteratdockreykj.jpg.fb92f4c4a5378544eb28a3b72194b898.jpg389284548_jupiteratdockreykj.jpg.fb92f4c4a5378544eb28a3b72194b898.jpg389284548_jupiteratdockreykj.jpg.fb92f4c4a5378544eb28a3b72194b898.jpg389284548_jupiteratdockreykj.jpg.fb92f4c4a5378544eb28a3b72194b898.jpg!  Welcome, Jupiter!  I'm coming.....

I checked the port website today too - was so excited when I saw the Jupiter at the dock!  Then, looked closer and saw someone walking around out on our balcony (Aug 17 cabin on the stern)!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Buddysmom10 said:

Thanks! 

I've been asking the same question for days - I also have an email into Viking but have not gotten any answer yet.  We are on the Aug 17 sailing so we have some time to figure it out.  

14 hours ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

No but we had two Borg beers ( we love Star Trek.)

We went to Einstock's bar and Session's craft beer bar in Reykjavik. Try to go at happy hour when prices are a bit less; great people watching in town while you enjoy your beers!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

We went to Einstock's bar and Session's craft beer bar in Reykjavik. Try to go at happy hour when prices are a bit less; great people watching in town while you enjoy your beers! 

Also, had some great beers at El Grillo Bar (Kafe Lara) in Seydisfordjur.

DA7C63DB-77D8-4A2E-92CE-65CF93B68EE4.jpeg

view from Sessions

ACE397A9-A79D-494E-BEFE-A9F93CA31428.jpeg

Perusing menu at Sessions

CF46920E-C6F4-4963-89FF-24FB8D206769.jpeg

Einstock Bar, Reykjavik

E61DEF76-6885-40B9-BD9B-DAA89C8844DA.jpeg

Enjoying a beer with a view at El Grillo Seydisfordjur

Edited by librarylady19
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Wander58 said:

I've been asking the same question for days - I also have an email into Viking but have not gotten any answer yet.  We are on the Aug 17 sailing so we have some time to figure it out.  

Are you on Jupiter?  If so, now that they're actually sailing, maybe someone knows the number on the ship and you can call and ask them. I did that when we were in Venice a while back and it looked like the embarkation location had changed between the time they sent out the address and they actually docked.  (Port assignments are made by the port & can change.)  If calling the ship (whether Sky or Jupiter) doesn't work, I've seen more than one person reporting here or on Facebook that they were told they should (or at least could) go directly to the ship - after 11, I believe.  But obviously it's best to confirm with Viking.

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

On 7/10/2021 at 5:12 PM, Bookworm114 said:

Culture Night is coming. 

https://visitreykjavik.is/reykjavik-culture-night

For those cruisers who will be in the country there is a huge once a year festival that takes over central Reykjavik on Saturday Aug 21. People come from all over the country for the event. Art galleries,  museums, music venues will be open and free of charge.  It ends with fireworks at 11:00 over the harbor. 

I have never been but I spoke with a US Guide who said it was wonderful and not to be missed. We travel shoulder seasons and always seem to miss events so I was excited to see this one. We are coming in early and just stumbled on it. 

Thank you. Arrival day for us

14 minutes ago, OffToSailTheWaters said:

Great photos.  I hope we are able to sit outside and enjoy a beer next week. 

Yes, we were very lucky with the weather. We enjoyed the disparity in clothing while people watching. Locals in tanks and shorts and tourists in fleece and down!!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Buddysmom10 said:

Thanks! 

We have the same question as we are arriving Thursday independently.  For now, we are planning to head to the port. Guess we could take a shuttle back to the concert hall if that doesn't work.  We are having the driver pick us up at 11:00 from Hertz at the airport.

First time Viking cruiser. We will be on the Sky July 17. We have independent air with no Viking transfers. I contacted Viking about where to check in on Saturday and was told to go to dock around 11.  We could check in there and would be given everything we needed. Dock is Skarfabakki cruise pier Skarfagoroum 8.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

We have the same question as we are arriving Thursday independently.  For now, we are planning to head to the port. Guess we could take a shuttle back to the concert hall if that doesn't work.  We are having the driver pick us up at 11:00 from Hertz at the airport.

The only reason the Viking shuttle is taking people to the Harpa is because no one can board the ship before 11 am and there are lots of flights arriving between 6 and 7. Probably don't want anyone on board while they are doing the cleaning between sailings.  Normal boarding time is 11 am.

22 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

If you are locked up at 11 it will be 11:30 at the earliest and you should be able to check in at the pier (took us 5 min) and go aboard. Rooms for us were already available when we arrived about noon. 

Be advised that they will not let you take your rollaboard with you. They have to go through screening and then get delivered to your room (for us by 1:30).  I was upset because that meant I had to tote my underseat bag rather than rolling it. #firstworldproblems

• Like 1

Someone asked about the sky lagoon.  We went today!  Incredible views of the North Atlantic. Clean and purified water with the signature 7 step ritual.  It is definitely worth your time and money! 6 miles from central Reykjavik.  Any questions about specifics email us luxurytraveldocs@gmail.com. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

Someone asked about the sky lagoon.  We went today!  Incredible views of the North Atlantic. Clean and purified water with the signature 7 step ritual.  It is definitely worth your time and money! 6 miles from central Reykjavik.  Any questions about specifics email us luxurytraveldocs@gmail.com. 

Sound fabulous!  Did you drive or book a transport/tour to Sky Lagoon?

1 hour ago, vabeachlady said:

Since Iceland is 'just' south of the Arctic Circle, does the ship actually cross the Circle during its circumnavigate of Iceland?  Is there a ceremony?  Thanks.

We just crossed!  No ceremony-presumably Covid precaution prohibit doing the usual blue nose ceremony.  Hard to put blue cold cream on your masked nose I guess!  It was announced last night that we would cross tonight about 8pm and again another night (tomorrow?) about 10. 

7D78EA4C-4A8F-48A3-A756-810C1D6E4994.jpeg

88CD8661-BBB8-40AA-9F03-38F5CD2D5F90.jpeg

56E7FD8F-C7A9-4885-B253-FEFACB136CA2.jpeg

B35B1BD4-8A7B-48EE-B65A-3313856ED1D5.jpeg

5C64FF7F-F07B-44A0-A20A-0719A281E27D.jpeg

• Like 1