LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

28 minutes ago, Clay Clayton said:

We just crossed!  No ceremony-presumably Covid precaution prohibit doing the usual blue nose ceremony.  Hard to put blue cold cream on your masked nose I guess!  It was announced last night that we would cross tonight about 8pm and again another night (tomorrow?) about 10. 

7D78EA4C-4A8F-48A3-A756-810C1D6E4994.jpeg

88CD8661-BBB8-40AA-9F03-38F5CD2D5F90.jpeg

56E7FD8F-C7A9-4885-B253-FEFACB136CA2.jpeg

B35B1BD4-8A7B-48EE-B65A-3313856ED1D5.jpeg

5C64FF7F-F07B-44A0-A20A-0719A281E27D.jpeg

Obviously a more pleasant experience than when I became a "Golden Dragon" crossing the International Dateline while in the Coast Guard! 

DSC04089.thumb.JPG.cad49023d24bebab34f502699b36d366.JPG

Edited by Heartgrove
  • Like 4

23 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

A note about airport check-in: checking in today at EWR for United, they told me that the Iceland barcode document was insufficient because it doesn't specify your name or any other identifying details. So I had to dig up the email containing the barcode so that they could validate it.

So print out the entire email and not just the barcode like I did.

-- Ethan

What is this barcode everyone keeps talking about? Is it something Viking emails you?

6 minutes ago, ValarieDennis said:

@Jaea you have to register with the Country of Iceland no more than 3 days before you enter. After registration, you will receive an email with a Bar Code. Each person in your party has to register.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, BamaT said:

Sound fabulous!  Did you drive or book a transport/tour to Sky Lagoon?

We’re staying in Reykjavik. We took a taxi each way ($30 ish each way!) There were people who walked from the Perl museum. They said it took 45 minutes from there.  Some people scootered from Reykjavik.  We bought our tickets ahead online.  We did the sky pass for private changing rooms but not necessary really.  Not super crowded.  About 50% locals and 50% tourists. 

3 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

If you are locked up at 11 it will be 11:30 at the earliest and you should be able to check in at the pier (took us 5 min) and go aboard. Rooms for us were already available when we arrived about noon. 

Be advised that they will not let you take your rollaboard with you. They have to go through screening and then get delivered to your room (for us by 1:30).  I was upset because that meant I had to tote my underseat bag rather than rolling it. #firstworldproblems

Spouse and I have transfers and an early arriving flight, so we'll be going to Harpa.  I was planning to take my smallish backpack camera bag out of my carryon, and go for a walk after checking in at Harpa.  I know they'll tell us what we need to know on the way from the airport to the city.  However, I may be a little brain dead/too jetlagged to hear it. So can someone tell me more about how the bus to Harpa works.  Do they load your carryons on the bus along with your larger bags?  Or do you take it on the bus with you?  Can you leave it on the bus? 

I guess Reykjavik doesn't have a port terminal with security screening equipment, right?  If so, that's a lot of work for the cruise lines to do if they have to screen everyone's luggage on the ship upon embarkation.  

The Harpa bus carries you and your carry on bag. You can leave your carry on and coats in that bus while you breakfast at Harpa and subsequently enjoy walking the city. The bus is watched.

A9F55152-FEA5-4BBE-80C9-9AAEB4599F46_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.51371dddc16ab55ba626007737bf9817.jpeg

Edited by philw1776
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, vabeachlady said:

Clay Clayton.... Thanks for the reply.  I was hoping for the ceremony.  Shoot!  Maybe by my sailing on 21 August, restrictions will ease a bit and they will do something.  I'm also hoping we get the CC Meet and Mingle then!

No ceremony, but we did get a certificate in our cabin on the last day. This was on the first cruise ,

Yay, I'm finally in Iceland, so my posts will now be on-topic!

To those on the first cruises who talked about the great weather, it seems like you used it all up. For those on upcoming cruises, make sure you pack for all kinds of weather. Yesterday (day before departure) we needed a fully rainproof shell, pants and top.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

For those who may carry a DSLR camera, in addition to their phone, and have done the horseback riding, kayaking, or ice lagoon excursions; what was your experience?

We're bringing a small drybag to store our DLSR as a strategy to keep it dry when it might get really splashed or it's raining etc., and pull it out at opportune times. Looking for feedback.

Thanks!

20 hours ago, Buddysmom10 said:

Can someone please clarify if "everyone" goes  through Harpa Concert Hall prior to the port--or is this only for people who have bought their air through Viking? 

We booked our flights independently and will arrive on a Friday morning in August.  We board the Sky on Saturday.  Can we just take a taxi from our hotel on Saturday to the port or we we also go through Harpa to get our key cards, etc through Viking?  

Thanks! 

We booked our flights independently for the July 3 cruise.  On July 3, we left our luggage at the hotel, wandered around and had lunch in the city then took a taxi to the pier at 2pm.  There was no crowd to check-in and our room was ready for us.  Luggage was delivered about an hour later.

Normally we like to board before noon but it this was very nice.  We'll probably try it on future cruises.   

• Like 1

6 hours ago, esther e said:

I think I read that there were no wheelchairs at embarkation.  I have a rollator but would have problems trying to get up a ramp.  Is the ship docked at street level or am I going to have trouble?  Thanks 

I hope someone answers you as I too have been considering bringing my rollator.  Hopefully my physician can have me much better by August 30 so I don't have to worry.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Buddysmom10 said:

Can someone please clarify if "everyone" goes  through Harpa Concert Hall prior to the port--or is this only for people who have bought their air through Viking? 

We booked our flights independently and will arrive on a Friday morning in August.  We board the Sky on Saturday.  Can we just take a taxi from our hotel on Saturday to the port or we we also go through Harpa to get our key cards, etc through Viking?  

Thanks! 

When we arrived at the pier, there were people checking in there.

7 hours ago, esther e said:

I think I read that there were no wheelchairs at embarkation.  I have a rollator but would have problems trying to get up a ramp.  Is the ship docked at street level or am I going to have trouble?  Thanks 

Depends on the tides. When we arrived and when we departed, it was a steep ramp up to Deck 2.

1 hour ago, Crockett&Darla said:

For those who may carry a DSLR camera, in addition to their phone, and have done the horseback riding, kayaking, or ice lagoon excursions; what was your experience?

We're bringing a small drybag to store our DLSR as a strategy to keep it dry when it might get really splashed or it's raining etc., and pull it out at opportune times. Looking for feedback.

Thanks!

We did the ice lagoon and the Heimaey Wildlife Boat trip

I carried a dry bag for the ice lagoon, just in case I did something stupid getting in or out of the boat. I did not. Otherwise, unless precipitating, it is a dry ride.

It was drizzling in Heimaey where the issue was keeping things dry while trying to use the camera.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

We did the ice lagoon and the Heimaey Wildlife Boat trip

I carried a dry bag for the ice lagoon, just in case I did something stupid getting in or out of the boat. I did not. Otherwise, unless precipitating, it is a dry ride.

It was drizzling in Heimaey where the issue was keeping things dry while trying to use the camera.

7 hours ago, esther e said:

Even if the ship is at street level for one cruise, the tide could elevate it for the next.  We have been on cruises where the gangway was quite steep.  Each port is different too.  

8 hours ago, esther e said:

Is a rollator one of those walkers with wheels and a seat?

4 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

Yay, I'm finally in Iceland, so my posts will now be on-topic!

To those on the first cruises who talked about the great weather, it seems like you used it all up. For those on upcoming cruises, make sure you pack for all kinds of weather. Yesterday (day before departure) we needed a fully rainproof shell, pants and top.

Shush!  It’s beautiful in Akureyri. Hope it lasts for y’all. 

ECD37498-BC12-47E8-AB82-CC782E886B9A.jpeg

• Like 8