LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

47 minutes ago, stbiehn said:

Quick question - where do you go to sign up for Manfredi and Chef's Table reservations?  Used to be upstairs but heard earlier it was down on 1st level.  Also. how do you get on a wait list for an excursion that's full?  We are going out on July 27.

This afternoon, the desk handling restaurant reservations is on Deck 1, next to the area where they are handling Shore Excursions.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Susan34104 said:

This afternoon, the desk handling restaurant reservations is on Deck 1, next to the area where they are handling Shore Excursions.  

last week we tried the deck 1 reservations once and had less than stellar experience.   Seemed a bit bored and when asking about availability he said completely full (with no glance at his Laptop).   We then went by Manfredis after the 5:30 rush and asked the Maitre d' and had no problem getting us in (I think her name was Katie and she was a customer service super star).  After that we dealt directly with the specialty restaurant and never had a problem getting in the same day (though we did eat later which might have helped)

• Like 2

23 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Clay or JMO, could you confirm that at Harpa, you can just go outside and walk around once you've  checked in?  And how do they do the buses once they start running to the ship - just form a line and get onboard when you can, I assume?  

Hi

We used Viking Air and so had the transfer to Harpa before going to the ship.  First, our plane was held up at least 45 minutes on the tarmac waiting on a gate, and then it was certainly 40 minutes if not longer.  There were Viking reps in Baggage Claim and outside to take us to the bus.  Then it was probably a 30 minute drive to downtown where we sat again waiting to pull up to the building.  That said, we had no time other than to check in and then have a bit of the brunch they offered.  

They had however told us what time our bus would live Harpa so that if we chose we could wander a bit and just return in time to take the bus to the ship.  Having gotten no sleep on the plane, we opted to just relax at Harpa for the brief time we had after checking in.

We did not use the shuttles from the ship so not able to comment on that.

Travel safe,

Susan

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2021 at 6:32 PM, SantaFe1 said:

Well, on a happier note— this afternoon, after getting back on board, we were so hot we went to the pool grill and ordered margaritas and chips!  What fun!!  Hadn’t planned to do that until our Panama Canal cruise in December.  I unpacked my parka, rain pants, rain hat, umbrella, stocking hat and mittens on June 26 and put them in the closet and never used them.  Can’t promise this for all, but we have had lovely weather, and I brought the wrong clothes!  But still, all in all, a wonderful cruise,  everyone bent over backwards to make sure we had a great time!  To all those going forward, ENJOY!

• Like 2

And they're off!  The Sky just pulled away from the dock, looks like about 32 minutes late (if there really is such a thing).  Love the webcams posted!  It is fascinating!

Can't wait to be there in one week!

Peace and Cheers!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, HalenK said:

3 hours ago, Susan34104 said:

Hi

We used Viking Air and so had the transfer to Harpa before going to the ship.  First, our plane was held up at least 45 minutes on the tarmac waiting on a gate, and then it was certainly 40 minutes if not longer.  There were Viking reps in Baggage Claim and outside to take us to the bus.  Then it was probably a 30 minute drive to downtown where we sat again waiting to pull up to the building.  That said, we had no time other than to check in and then have a bit of the brunch they offered.  

They had however told us what time our bus would live Harpa so that if we chose we could wander a bit and just return in time to take the bus to the ship.  Having gotten no sleep on the plane, we opted to just relax at Harpa for the brief time we had after checking in.

We did not use the shuttles from the ship so not able to comment on that.

Travel safe,

Susan

Last week we went to the Harpa and had breakfast then went on to sightsee and shop, didn’t have to take the same bus just walked around and came back to the Harpa for a return to ship shuttle.  Our luggage went with the original bus and it was waiting for us when we got to the room.  I was afraid if I got to the room first I would decide to stay so that’s why I stayed and took the shuttle back later

• Like 1

3 hours ago, VolTravler said:

And they're off!  The Sky just pulled away from the dock, looks like about 32 minutes late (if there really is such a thing).  Love the webcams posted!  It is fascinating!

Can't wait to be there in one week!

Peace and Cheers!

There was an excursion that got back late. 

• Like 1

A note about airport check-in: checking in today at EWR for United, they told me that the Iceland barcode document was insufficient because it doesn't specify your name or any other identifying details. So I had to dig up the email containing the barcode so that they could validate it.

So print out the entire email and not just the barcode like I did.

-- Ethan

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

A note about airport check-in: checking in today at EWR for United, they told me that the Iceland barcode document was insufficient because it doesn't specify your name or any other identifying details. So I had to dig up the email containing the barcode so that they could validate it.

-- Ethan

Thanks!  Great advice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Forgot to post this yesterday. Talked to the general manager yesterday and we are scheduled to have 760 passengers aboard this week. However a number of passengers were not aboard yesterday (due to flight issues) but most were expected to arrive today.  I know that several arrived today but don’t know how many. 

I’m sitting with JM0115 (and his lovely wife) and we can’t remember the exact number but it was under 850. He also said that to his knowledge that these Welcome Back cruises would not be at full capacity. 
YMMV

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peregrina651 said:

IMHO, cut out the middlemen and email the ship.  Let them tell you what they are willing let you do.  

Thanks!  I think that makes sense too.  If can go direct to the ship that will be easiest.

28 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

-- Ethan

Just went through kef customs today.  They scanned barcode and cross checked computer information with your covid card and passport.  Just the barcode was needed - we flew in on delta. Weather lovely.  Light fleece yoga pants, tee shirt and llbean fleece for me with trail sneakers.  Glenn a fleece over tee shirt and hiking pants with trail shoes. No rain and light breeze.  In the wind my arms were cold. Tried the local beers  - walked the old town. We’re on July 13 Jupiter  Baleaf fleece yoga pants with leg pocket for phone is one of the best investments I made   👇🏻https://amzn.to/2oGqugs

225089AA-DABF-4805-A443-03CA4191D406.jpeg

B978D93B-A013-4847-A628-C7010F53E305.jpeg

Edited by Doc who loves to travel
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

-- Ethan

UA desk got it wrong.  The only thing Iceland cares about is the bar code-- and if you don't have it when you board, you can get it when you land.  

Passport control does not need it or even look at it.  Once you get your luggage, someone will check to see that you have a bar code and will point you where to go to get one if you don't. Right before you exit security, they scan the barcode and release you into Viking's waiting arms.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 7/5/2021 at 11:57 AM, VI_Lounger said:

There are pages and pages of wines. Do you prefer white or red? We just got caymus for the same price as we pay at costco so shocking to us as usually huge markups on board. Bad signal but will try some attachments. 

20210705_174407.jpg

20210705_174351.jpg

Virgin question here. I have the Silver "Bullet" (I forget the name - told ya I was a virgin) drink package. What does that mean re this list? These are included? Part of me says "wheeee" Part of me (the liver part) says "oh no!"

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

Just went through kef customs today.  They scanned barcode and cross checked computer information with your covid card and passport.  Just the barcode was needed - we flew in on delta. Weather lovely.  Light fleece yoga pants, tee shirt and llbean fleece for me with trail sneakers.  Glenn a fleece over tee shirt and hiking pants with trail shoes. No rain and light breeze.  In the wind my arms were cold. Tried the local beers  - walked the old town. We’re on July 13 Jupiter  Baleaf fleece yoga pants with leg pocket for phone is one of the best investments I made   👇🏻https://amzn.to/2oGqugs

Seeing that amber colored beer got an “Oooh” out of my husband.  Do you recommend any brewery in particular?

BIG HEADS UP: if you are not heading from ship to airport, make sure you check the date on your test results as soon as they arrive in your cabin.  Ours were dated for THURSDAY  and not FRIDAY.  

My bad.  I did not look at the test date.  We are sitting at the airport fortunate  to have gotten our boarding passes and I am about to call the ship.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

BIG HEADS UP: if you are not heading from ship to airport, make sure you check the date on your test results as soon as they arrive in your cabin.  Ours were dated for THURSDAY  and not FRIDAY.  

My bad.  I did not look at the test date.  We are sitting at the airport fortunate  to have gotten our boarding passes and I am about to call the ship.  

In the air; ended up emailing the ship.  The phone number in our digital docs cannot be reached from Iceland.  

Hoping the email is actually to the ship and not to some mailbox in the California office, where it is currently the dead of night.  I guess time will tell. Worst comes to worst, we test in Boston. 

12 hours ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

Here's our view of Jupiter, from the port's webcam today389284548_jupiteratdockreykj.jpg.fb92f4c4a5378544eb28a3b72194b898.jpg389284548_jupiteratdockreykj.jpg.fb92f4c4a5378544eb28a3b72194b898.jpg389284548_jupiteratdockreykj.jpg.fb92f4c4a5378544eb28a3b72194b898.jpg389284548_jupiteratdockreykj.jpg.fb92f4c4a5378544eb28a3b72194b898.jpg!  Welcome, Jupiter!  I'm coming.....

• Like 3

13 hours ago, KarNog said:

Virgin question here. I have the Silver "Bullet" (I forget the name - told ya I was a virgin) drink package. What does that mean re this list? These are included? Part of me says "wheeee" Part of me (the liver part) says "oh no!"

All the wines by the glass are included in the Silver Spirit Package.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Oh no...hope everything works out for you.

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Sorry for multiple images!  

1 hour ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Here's our view of Jupiter, from the port's webcam today389284548_jupiteratdockreykj.jpg.fb92f4c4a5378544eb28a3b72194b898.jpg389284548_jupiteratdockreykj.jpg.fb92f4c4a5378544eb28a3b72194b898.jpg389284548_jupiteratdockreykj.jpg.fb92f4c4a5378544eb28a3b72194b898.jpg389284548_jupiteratdockreykj.jpg.fb92f4c4a5378544eb28a3b72194b898.jpg!  Welcome, Jupiter!  I'm coming.....

Looks like the weather forecast is holding🤪

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

The fact that the airline let you on the plane tells me it probably won’t be an issue in Boston. They can get fined for sending people on without the correct documentation.  

On the several times that I have flown back to the US where we needed the Covid test, no one in the US looked at the form . Don’t know if the fact that we have Global Entry and didn’t need to see a human or perhaps in our record there was a note of having the form, but I would think not .  Good luck !