LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

2 hours ago, dcl999 said:

Are the sauna and ice room open? Do you need to reserve a time? Thanks 

Yes. We did have to reserve a time slot though. Two days ago I used both the sauna and ice room. The last time I had used the ice room there was actually a mound of ice within. Now it is just like sitting in a deep freeze - no real ice. 

• Like 1

Yesterday in Seydisfjordur was another day filled with sunshine. No jackets required mid day. We took the In the Footsteps of Elves tour. While the tour wasn’t the most exciting I’ve taken, I loved going through the two mountain passes and seeing the farmlands. The drive was beautiful. There was a walking tour after lunch with an opportunity to climb “Elf Hill” - with a nice view of the surrounding mountains and sea. Of course the real highlight was spending the last hour at a puffin viewing area. You climb stairs up a cliff area where the puffins have their nests and they are right next to the stairs. Lots of close up photos. 

We just arrived in Djupivogur. The ocean is like glass this morning and the skies are blue. I’ll report in our ice lagoon tour later. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Australia08 said:

Yesterday in Seydisfjordur was another day filled with sunshine. No jackets required mid day. We took the In the Footsteps of Elves tour. While the tour wasn’t the most exciting I’ve taken, I loved going through the two mountain passes and seeing the farmlands. The drive was beautiful. There was a walking tour after lunch with an opportunity to climb “Elf Hill” - with a nice view of the surrounding mountains and sea. Of course the real highlight was spending the last hour at a puffin viewing area. You climb stairs up a cliff area where the puffins have their nests and they are right next to the stairs. Lots of close up photos. 

We just arrived in Djupivogur. The ocean is like glass this morning and the skies are blue. I’ll report in our ice lagoon tour later. 

Did you see Viking Star yesterday in Seydisfjordur?  Do you know why she is there? She is supposed to be going round the British Isles shortly..  J

With the new positive PCR test requirement the 72 hour requirement is going to be tight for us. We have a Saturday and Sunday  prior to our flight and hope to avoid the $250 test at the airport.  I was told the rapid test does not qualify and must be the PCR. Once the results are sent by email will the airline officials look at our phones for proof or must it be printed out.

3 minutes ago, DAVE & PAT said:

With the new positive PCR test requirement the 72 hour requirement is going to be tight for us. We have a Saturday and Sunday  prior to our flight and hope to avoid the $250 test at the airport.  I was told the rapid test does not qualify and must be the PCR. Once the results are sent by email will the airline officials look at our phones for proof or must it be printed out.

Did Viking tell you the rapid test does not qualify? Covid.is states that the PCR or rapid antigen test is acceptable.

I've heard that from some that having things both electronically and printed helps to expedite the process. (Others didn't seem to have an issue with just electronic results.) This, of course, is before the 7/26-27 requirements. 

I haven't heard a word from Viking about the new requirement. I checked on Delta and found out that flights on 7/26 to Iceland would be impacted by the change. 

9 minutes ago, Steve NH said:

Did Viking tell you the rapid test does not qualify? Covid.is states that the PCR or rapid antigen test is acceptable.

I've heard that from some that having things both electronically and printed helps to expedite the process. (Others didn't seem to have an issue with just electronic results.) This, of course, is before the 7/26-27 requirements. 

I haven't heard a word from Viking about the new requirement. I checked on Delta and found out that flights on 7/26 to Iceland would be impacted by the change. 

No CVS said for travel purposes rapid test is not acceptable. Pretty sure Icelandair only accepts the PCR but double checking on that. We've heard nothing from Viking but our cruise is 8/31- 9/7. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DAVE & PAT said:

No CVS said for travel purposes rapid test is not acceptable. Pretty sure Icelandair only accepts the PCR but double checking on that. We've heard nothing from Viking but our cruise is 8/31- 9/7. 

Here’s your updated pre-Cruise advice from Viking:

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-210721-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Iceland-US-UK FINAL.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

Linda

This is very helpful in that it originates from Viking. 

Can you point me in the correct direction on the website where I can find this document because the requirement for a PCR test rather than an antigen test (Lateral Flow) does not match what has been said by the Icelandic Authorities.

I would like to query this with Viking in the UK but it would be good to know where on the website I can find that document.

The following quote is a straight copy from the Iceland.is site

https://island.is/en/p/entry

NOTE: From 27 July 2021 vaccinated passengers (and those with a prior infection) born in 2004 or earlier, must present a negative PCR or antigen test (not older than 72 hours) prior to boarding a vessel to Iceland.

Edited by NeilP57
additional link

25 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

Linda

This is very helpful in that it originates from Viking. 

Can you point me in the correct direction on the website where I can find this document because the requirement for a PCR test rather than an antigen test (Lateral Flow) does not match what has been said by the Icelandic Authorities.

I would like to query this with Viking in the UK but it would be good to know where on the website I can find that document.

I have now found the document in the Resources section on the main website.

I think it is better that further discussion be done on the specific Covid Testing post 26 July thread.

2 hours ago, Doc who loves to travel said:

Reserve early!  We tried for appointments a few days into our cruise and couldn't get any.  Also if on Jupiter, reserve the explorer planetarium early.  

How do I book spa time...can I do it before cruise?

do I need to book exercise time?

32 minutes ago, NeilP57 said:

I have now found the document in the Resources section on the main website.

I think it is better that further discussion be done on the specific Covid Testing post 26 July thread.

That's an interesting place to put it. Thank you!

31 minutes ago, susanlik said:

I was on Jupiter and booked two Spa times soon after I boarded which was about 1:30. They said they were filling up and we only had 488 pax. They only take 6 at a time for 45 min sessions. 

19 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

More likely.

Here in Bermuda taking food off ship onto shore is a big no-no, except for drinks and sealed snacks.

Same on Caribbean cruises.  Only permitted to take prepackaged crackers/cookies/drinks in most or all ports.  Have not sailed Viking previously but would imagine the same rules apply to them.  I have seen people make sandwiches in buffet and have to throw them away before leaving ship.  Keen eye caught them.  Strange because you are allowed to bring cheese and other items back to the ship.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DAVE & PAT said:

Are you flying out of Tampa?  We depart Tampa August 30 on Delta at 12:50 pm.  (Delta keeps changing time).  Wondering how to get the required test within the 72 hour time frame.  Manatee County will send results to phone but I don't believe they are open Saturdays.  I will have to call CVS and Walgreens to see if they do the testing.  Normally go to Quest Diagnostics but I am almost certain they are not open Saturday.

3 hours ago, susanlik said:

Go to spa when you arrive and book. We couldn’t book anything but services ahead.  You do need an appointment for gym but every time I went, even without an appointment, no one was in there so I told them I was going in to workout.  They want your room number so you should at least check in at desk even without a reservation. 

SNIT13 - evidently a Rapid Test is ok if it is a certain type. What the new directions say are:

image.thumb.png.3601be90bd694a08b0f266b05eeb4b96.png

So all of these new changes are very confusing. I plan to get tested on the Saturday prior to my Monday departure. Walgreens told me there is no copay with insurance so either test will do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

Resource section on Viking site?  

Neil's in the UK, so there may be a separate site for UK passengers; not sure.  In any case, I called Viking to ask for help in determining availability of a particular timeslot for an excursion.  The agent helped me with that.  I then asked the antigen versus PCR question.  She indicated Viking recommends (or possibly says "requires") PCR  because not all airlines/airports accept antigen results, plus any requirements (country, airline, etc.) can still change.  PCR is also more accurate.  I really wanted PCR so I booked an appointment with Quest Labs.  They indicate 1 to 2 day turnaround once received in the lab.  They use monitored self-administered nasal testing, require an appointment and insurance information, state that most tests are no cost to person being tested U.S. government pays if your insurance doesn't).  Not all Quest Labs do Covid testing, but it wasn't hard for me to find one that did. Some locations are closed Sundays. The results come by email, but it may be possible to ask for text.

I believe CVS and Walgreens have similar testing options.