Wine and Spirits on Board

Calypso54

5 minutes ago, mexicobob said:

A margarita without triple sec or something fancier??????  In most places in Mexico that might not go over well, although most margaritas are drank by Americans.  Not using fresh lime juice is probably a capital offense in the Mexican Constitution (just kidding...maybe).

Try the Tommy’s recipe and then report back. (You may be VERY surprised. I certainly was)

On 7/1/2021 at 10:43 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

Try the Tommy’s recipe and then report back. (You may be VERY surprised. I certainly was)

A challenge involving drinking multiple margaritas..............is a challenge I really like. The reporting back might be a problem, at least for a day or two.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On 7/1/2021 at 11:36 PM, mexicobob said:

A margarita without triple sec or something fancier??????  In most places in Mexico that might not go over well, although most margaritas are drank by Americans.  Not using fresh lime juice is probably a capital offense in the Mexican Constitution (just kidding...maybe).

Would agree that NOT using fresh squeezed lime juice could get you a firing squad in Mexico :).  The truth is that fresh limes are very common in Mexico and quite cheap.  I doubt if you find anyone using Rose's Lime Juice in Mexico.   We always pack our manual "lime squeezer" when we had down to Mexico although there are street stands that will sell you fresh squeezed lime juice for a very low price.

Hank

2 hours ago, Munga 6 said:

I'm confused. Per Oceania website it says you can bring 6 bottles of wine onboard but no other kind of alcohol. I would love to bring a bottle of Drambuie and Cointreau for the room. 

That’s a CYA statement by O.
We regularly bring a case of wine onboard at embarkation and replenish along the way. Have also occasionally brought regional spirits like caçhasa on board at port stops. 
O is very liberal with bringing personal alcohol. 

HOWEVER, personal alcohol is meant for in-cabin consumption.The only exception is that you can bring personal bottles of wine to dining and other public venues for which you’ll pay $25/bottle corkage (includes 18% tip). O will store/retrieve any unfinished bottle as needed. 

There are the occasional cheapskates who will try to bring filled glasses of personal wine (or spirits) to dinner or to a public space. They’re easy to spot since the cabin glassware is different. Most of the maitre d’s will remind the offenders of the rules. And I’ve even seen fellow passengers give them a polite reminder.

Fortunately, the vast majority of O regulars obey the simple/reasonable rules.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer
  • Like 3

On 6/25/2021 at 6:47 PM, mauibabes said:

Two things, don’t bother with bringing soda’s aboard, just ask your TA to request the brand you drink. We are Pepsi drinkers so Pepsi appears in our refrigerator throughout the cruise. Second, I don’t know where you are traveling from or where you are buying the 1.75 Ltr bottles but if you are carrying them with you on your flight, they would have to travel in your checked suitcases and eat up your 50# weight limit . If you can buy the bottles before boarding or perhaps in one of the ports of call, you are good to go.  Not an issue on O and we love them for that policy. 
Gerry 

We did this on our O cruises, and we were very grateful for whoever it was who had mentioned it here on CC so that we knew to ask.

We had our TA make the request to make it "official" (perhaps less likely that it got... overlooked?) and we made the request far in advance, so they had plenty of time to arrange it.

We also let them know the approximate quantities that we wanted (for each of two preferred beverages).  Given that we try to drink a lot of fluids, this way we didn't run out.  Then we told our butler how many to keep in the fridge or on the counter so we could put a couple more in the fridge as needed.  

The supply was replenished invisibly. 😉 

I admit that the first time, we weren't quite sure if it would work, but it was handled perfectly.

GC

26 minutes ago, GeezerCouple said:

We did this on our O cruises, and we were very grateful for whoever it was who had mentioned it here on CC so that we knew to ask.

We had our TA make the request to make it "official" (perhaps less likely that it got... overlooked?) and we made the request far in advance, so they had plenty of time to arrange it.

We also let them know the approximate quantities that we wanted (for each of two preferred beverages).  Given that we try to drink a lot of fluids, this way we didn't run out.  Then we told our butler how many to keep in the fridge or on the counter so we could put a couple more in the fridge as needed.  

The supply was replenished invisibly. 😉 

I admit that the first time, we weren't quite sure if it would work, but it was handled perfectly.

GC

They still make Pepsi?😳

9 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

They still make Pepsi?😳

Hey!

That was definitely not "us" mentioning a preference for Pepsi.  I think that was mauibabes  

We are strictly "Coca Cola" Fan Geezers. 😀

And that was one of the things we requested, but in small bottles.  If there is an open can near me, it will spill itself before I can even get to it... 😞

GC

Nice shot Flatbush but of course they make Pepsi, much better than Coke although I will drink a Diet Coke if no other option. But then stick a lemon in it and it changes the Coke taste and makes it more palatable. 
Geezer, glad the tip worked for you about the Pepsi.  If I am correct, Coke has the contract for Oceania but the Pepsi will come from the Staff commissary as they have everything. We did have one trip on the Cali coast on Sirena, NO PEPSI in our refrigerator not our friends. 4 days of embarrassment from our Butler because they had none on board and we had only visited Santa Barbara, San Francisco, and Monterey. We made it to Catalina and our Butler got off and bought Pepsi and we got off and bought Pepsi. We all got a good laugh because we had about a case of Pepsi between us and about 2 days left on the cruise. 
they really do try to make it right!

Mauibabes

• Like 1

Flatbush Flyer: 

With so many wonderful concoctions to enjoy, I am fortunate to know my limit - though passing out before I reach it can be problematic 👀 (just kidding).

To update an old standard - in honor of the topic: 

One margarita, Two Margarita

Three Margarita, Floor!

• Haha 4

Vista will be our first Oceania cruise so a couple of beverage questions beyond what has been asked and answered already.

What is the availability of non-alcoholic beverages (soda/bottled water for example) around the ship such as at the pool or lounges during the day/night and is there a charge for these drinks at those times?  I know we will get them in the cabin and at meals just wondering about at other times and venues.

Also is the cooler in the cabin large enough for a bottle of wine?  The ones on previous cruises on other lines typically were not.

7 minutes ago, Goofyisme said:

Vista will be our first Oceania cruise so a couple of beverage questions beyond what has been asked and answered already.

What is the availability of non-alcoholic beverages (soda/bottled water for example) around the ship such as at the pool or lounges during the day/night and is there a charge for these drinks at those times?  I know we will get them in the cabin and at meals just wondering about at other times and venues.

Also is the cooler in the cabin large enough for a bottle of wine?  The ones on previous cruises on other lines typically were not.

Water and soda available everywhere, most of the time. Seems to me the wine bottles fit in at an angle. The won’t stand straight up, nor lie down. You can fit a couple at a time in.

1 hour ago, Goofyisme said:

On the other ships waiter  will get you soda & water  anywhere  you are

Some will even get  coffee  depending where the machine is in relationship to your location

Usually  just ask & they will bring it

They are doing away with bottled water on the other ships so I would think vista will be the same

Non alcoholic beverage  are included in the fare ..not sure why you think they are only available  at meals

We have put wine in the fridge  we take out the top shelf or lay the bottle on it

JMO

2 hours ago, pinotlover said:

Water and soda available everywhere, most of the time. Seems to me the wine bottles fit in at an angle. The won’t stand straight up, nor lie down. You can fit a couple at a time in.

The top tray in the mini-fridge is removeable.  Remove it, and the bottles stand upright.  I'm not sure what this says about me that I know this. 😳

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Thanks for the responses.  If they are doing away with bottled water any idea how they are planning to provide water in the cabins and have water available to take onshore?

Been a while since we have been able to cruise and getting back to these boards is so enjoyable with all the helpful people.

Thanks again

3 hours ago, Goofyisme said:

Thanks for the responses.  If they are doing away with bottled water any idea how they are planning to provide water in the cabins and have water available to take onshore?

Been a while since we have been able to cruise and getting back to these boards is so enjoyable with all the helpful people.

Thanks again

This explains the new system

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/media/2019/OCEANIA+CRUISES+TO+ELIMINATE+PLASTIC+WATER+BOTTLES+IN+PIONEERING+GREEN+INITIATIVE+-+Partnership+With+Vero+Water+Will+Save+More+Than+Three+Million+Plastic+Bottles+Per+Year/

• Thanks 1

Wow, better bagels than NY?  I will have to find a way to Montreal to try them.  Fyi, born in Brooklyn, Bay Parkway until I was 8 then we moved out to the Island. Next your going to tell me you have found better Wonton Soup and Egg rolls outside of NY? (He asked knowing it was not possible.😆

31 minutes ago, Woofa said:

Wow, better bagels than NY?  I will have to find a way to Montreal to try them.  Fyi, born in Brooklyn, Bay Parkway until I was 8 then we moved out to the Island. Next your going to tell me you have found better Wonton Soup and Egg rolls outside of NY? (He asked knowing it was not possible.😆

Not better. Rather, a different process that makes them delectably chewy. There’s a bagel shop across SF Bay in Oakland that does Montreal bagels. You’ll always find NYC natives in the line.

Poutine fan? Yum.