Canadians booking cruises while government has a no cruise advisory?

Gracelyn

We are having a hard time with getting insurance because we’ve been told if we book a cruise while the advisory is in p,ace our cancelation is nul and void because we are advised not to. For warned they say. 
also we are to,d that even if we wait till it’s listed the FCC is not covered for cancellation b/c it’s credit. This is thru  CAA

is anyone else having this issue? We have our cruise on hold till we straighten this out 

gracelyn

1 hour ago, Gracelyn said:

We are having a hard time with getting insurance because we’ve been told if we book a cruise while the advisory is in p,ace our cancelation is nul and void because we are advised not to.

Can't you just book it with a refundable deposit?

• Like 1

@Gracelyn I have 2 cruises booked and each included insurance.. 

May I ask when you cruise is booked?  I know some cruises booked prior to the lifting of restrictions will have many restrictions and prohibitive costs, however, if you accept the insurance offered by the cruise line, you should be fine.

I admit that I do take additional insurance through my insurance company on top of the NCL coverage but that has been the case for me for many years.  

Take care, safe cruises. 

As a Canadian, I haven’t thought as far out as my January cruise. I am hoping that by then vaccinated people will be able to travel without restrictions. I agree with All-ready2cruise that maybe right now you could go with Norwegian insurance. When is your cruise?

• Like 1

So we have on hold a March 5-12 POA using up our FCC( which literally only covers half of the total due to price increases. 
what we have been told is that if it’s booked while there is a cruise advisory   The cruise will not be covered if we have to cancel it. Since we booked during an advisory. 
we have been told many different answers. 
CAA has toLd us that as well, but did advise us to call NCL  for cancellation. 
none of this makes sense. 
we were also told we need to purchase insurance 72 hours from booking.. I said “why since you keep telling me it’s null end void”   Ugggg 

2 hours ago, RumRunner2021 said:

Can't you just book it with a refundable deposit?

I’m not sure about that using FCC but even booking it now I’m still in the cruise advisory and won’t have travel insurance. I believe our travel ban is being lifted July 21 but not cruise advisory. 

16 minutes ago, RumRunner2021 said:

@Gracelyn  I must have missed that you are from Canada and it appears that your government may be restricting you from taking any cruises, even if they sail from the US or elsewhere.  Is that the case?

They have an advisory out 

Canada is advising Canadian citizens and permanent residents to avoid all travel on cruise ships outside Canada until further notice

this being said this was issued Pre vaccine but booking a cruise while this in place could be an issue 

7 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

@Gracelyn, I am using FCC and I have CAA for Home and Auto insurance; however, I choose a different travel insurance.   

Thanks. It’s CAA that’s given us various answers   Who do you use for cancellation? I have a call into TravelGuard. 

On 6/25/2021 at 6:53 PM, Gracelyn said:

They have an advisory out 

Canada is advising Canadian citizens and permanent residents to avoid all travel on cruise ships outside Canada until further notice

this being said this was issued Pre vaccine but booking a cruise while this in place could be an issue 

What exactly does this mean for you?  If they "advise" you to avoid cruise travel, what happens if you ignore them and go on a cruise?

3 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

What exactly does this mean for you?  If they "advise" you to avoid cruise travel, what happens if you ignore them and go on a cruise?

It's an advisory, that's it.  As of quite recently, they've decided to eliminate the 14 day quarantine on return, as well. When I finally book my cruise for this fall, soon I hope, it will be just like going  on any other vacation. 

10 minutes ago, All-ready2cruise said:

It's an advisory, that's it.  As of quite recently, they've decided to eliminate the 14 day quarantine on return, as well. When I finally book my cruise for this fall, soon I hope, it will be just like going  on any other vacation. 

Agree..I missed out on my last winter in Florida as I listened to the last “advisory” and not doing that again.  If I had gone down I would have been long vaccinated by now instead of still waiting for my second dose.  My insurance covers me so I am good to go in October, advisory or not, and still good for my dec cruise!

• Like 2

Our Canadian government is changing the travel advisory rules all the time. If you are fully vaccinated, I can’t imagine running into any trouble finding an insurance company. By the time you are getting on the cruise, the advisory will have changed. Happy cruising! 

RBC offers cruise insurance for their client. Check it out.

https://www.rbcinsurance.com/travel-insurance/going-on-a-cruise.html

But they don't cover Covid-19. I already asked.

I am also from Canada. I already have a cruise booked coming Aug from Seattle. My concern is the Covid-19 test required for flying back to Canada. Anybody to know if NCL would provide molecular PCR Covid-19 test on the ship?

Thank you in advance.

9 hours ago, ChiefMateJRK said:

That’s the million dollar question my TA has received mu,tip,e answers but what they all agree is that if I have to cancel due to Covid illness we are out of luck.   

My travel medical insurance expired in April 2020 & the insurance company told me I could not get medical insurance while an advisory is in place -  so we are not traveling outside of Canada until advisories are lifted.

For cancellation insurance, aren't NCL deposits refundable? (advisories should be lifted before final payment date)

On 6/25/2021 at 6:33 PM, RumRunner2021 said:

@Gracelyn  I must have missed that you are from Canada and it appears that your government may be restricting you from taking any cruises, even if they sail from the US or elsewhere.  Is that the case?

Canadian government is asking all Canadians to avoid non-essential travel

Ask people who got stuck in UK at Christmas when all flights were cancelled or who have been stuck in India since flights were cancelled in April 2021

15 minutes ago, YVRBassElectric said:

My travel medical insurance expired in April 2020 & the insurance company told me I could not get medical insurance while an advisory is in place -  so we are not traveling outside of Canada until advisories are lifted.

For cancellation insurance, aren't NCL deposits refundable? (advisories should be lifted before final payment date)

Yes. If our medical insurance had expired we also would have to wait. We are blessed. Ours covers covid but doesn’t include cancellation. 

4 hours ago, lynn5555 said:

RBC offers cruise insurance for their client. Check it out.

https://www.rbcinsurance.com/travel-insurance/going-on-a-cruise.html

But they don't cover Covid-19. I already asked.

I am also from Canada. I already have a cruise booked coming Aug from Seattle. My concern is the Covid-19 test required for flying back to Canada. Anybody to know if NCL would provide molecular PCR Covid-19 test on the ship?

Thank you in advance.

Good question. 

4 hours ago, Diane67B said:

Our Canadian government is changing the travel advisory rules all the time. If you are fully vaccinated, I can’t imagine running into any trouble finding an insurance company. By the time you are getting on the cruise, the advisory will have changed. Happy cruising! 

It’s not about the medical. I. Fully covered and fully vexed. It’s cancellation insurance and trip interruption. I’ve got a few calls in to see who will cover with an advisory. CAA won’t. 

19 minutes ago, Gracelyn said:

It’s not about the medical. I. Fully covered and fully vexed. It’s cancellation insurance and trip interruption. I’ve got a few calls in to see who will cover with an advisory. CAA won’t. 

I feel sorry for you folks in Canada wrestling with this stuff.  Can you buy trip cancellation insurance from a US company that has little interest in Canadian government "advisories?"

• Like 1