Next question. What’s the deal with The Retreat on the Encore & Ovation

Hobar

Going on a warm weather cruise on Ovation.  Not a sun person and actually prefer cold weather cruises. (I live in Arizona.). That said, is there anything special about The Retreat, or anything that someone who does not like the sun would prefer about The Retreat over hiding in a shady spot by the pool?

Edited by Hobar

If you are a wine person and want to drink a lot of it during the day, maybe?  The Retreat has an included wine list that’s nice… the champagne is Krug and you get an unopened bottle in your cabana as well as what they pour all day.  

If you are planning on having spa treatments and want to have a more seamless pool/spa day, maybe?  The Retreat includes a spa credit but it doesn’t have to be used that day.

if you are really bored with the food options everywhere else on Seabourn and want to try one of their menu items, maybe?  You can eat breakfast and lunch up there and they’ll bring you snacks all day long.

If you are feeling like you need extra attention because the usual service on Seabourn just isn’t quite enough for you, maybe?  The staff up there are often bored and looking to do something, anything to stay busy.

If you want to watch on-demand movies but also get in and out of the hot tub and the walk between your suite and the pool is just too overwhelming, maybe?  The cabanas have a couch and tv and are just a few steps from the hot tub.

If you have a bunch of onboard credit and don’t know how else to spend it, maybe?  It’s not the worse way to stretch it either… you get a spa credit and a bottle of Krug plus whatever you consume up there plus a cute Retreat tote bag and pairs of flip flops to keep.  If you are into any of that, of course.

I may have a unique opinion on this (for Cruise Critic at least) because I share the sentiment that it’s a giant waste of space but also have used it a couple of times and didn’t hate it.  It’s highly unlikely I’d spend my own money for it (one visit was a gift, the other extra OBC to use).  We spent two days up there on our honeymoon.  On the first, we were the only couple there… it was a dreary autumn day in the Adriatic and we watched movies in the cabana, drank wine, and warmed up in the hot tub.  On the second, we skipped a sleepy port on a nice day and hung out with another couple we’d befriended - we played cards in the sun, ate lunch, and enjoyed the hot tub - all things we could have done elsewhere on the ship but at least accompanied by nice wines.

There is almost  no shade up there other than in the cabanas and it’s hard to get a good breeze, although the cabanas on Ovation at least open toward the ocean.  

I really wish Seabourn would convert that to a second public outdoor space… pull out tte cabanas, add some shaded area, put in a good number of loungers.  Then they could add more tables downstairs for the Patio Grill/Earth & Ocean.  I don’t recall seeing The Retreat even mentioned in any of the marketing materials I’ve seen this year so maybe it’s under consideration?

• Like 3

There are a few photos shared here.  They do have nice loungers which I wish Seabourn would provide elsewhere on the ship.

https://www.theluxurycruisereview.com/seabourn-encore-retreat/

When we were onboard they were running specials so the stated $249 USD (that’s per suite, not per person) was $149 USD and they also had full cruise packages.

As mentioned there, they offer free tours (and free flowing Krug) on embarkation day afternoon.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jenidallas said:

Thanks Jenidallas. I appreciate you commentary, and actually makes it sound like I might want to try it - if nothing else than just another setting, and I gather some wines that are not on the usual offerings.  The Krug and spa treatment seem like it would almost be a wash.  (And who doesn’t love slippers?? I usually take those for the dogs.) Got lots of sea days on upcoming trip so maybe I will give it a try.  

We've tried The Retreat once.  We found that our cabana offered adequate shade, but was quite hot, even with the overhead fan and the louvered doors open.  We were, however, docked in a hot/humid location (Sihanoukville Cambodia).  The cabana's might be more comfortable in cooler location and when the ship's in motion.

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2021 at 2:01 PM, sfvoyage said:

When was the Krug?  It was Bollinger in 2018 as well as February 2020, right before the pandemic shutdown.

My husband swears it was Krug as well so now I'm confused too.  Maybe we conflated that with onboard purchases or inflight offerings?  I know we shared a review here back in 2018 so that might be the source of truth.

2 hours ago, jenidallas said:

My husband swears it was Krug as well so now I'm confused too.  Maybe we conflated that with onboard purchases or inflight offerings?  I know we shared a review here back in 2018 so that might be the source of truth.

Good, now I don't feel bad about having missed out!  😉

Of course, serving free-flowing Krug would be neither financially prudent nor feasible for Seabourn.  We were perfectly content with Bollinger.

Edited by sfvoyage

JeniDallas, it was definitely Bollinger.I remember reading your posts from Ovation very carefully as we were boarding for the first time about 4 weeks after your cruise.
If you had mentioned Krug at that time I would very likely have been more interested in the Retreat!

Edited by Isklaar

The Retreat? 

For the money, slippers, a tv, Bollinger champagne (which is what it is and definitely not Krug), and the privilege to bake in that airless waste of space at 35C in July on Ovation forgettabouttit.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, markham said:

The Retreat? 

For the money, slippers, a tv, Bollinger champagne (which is what it is and definitely not Krug), and the privilege to bake in that airless waste of space at 35C in July on Ovation forgettabouttit.

Slippers though ! One could wear them to the Howdy Doody Party.

• Haha 1

From what I hear its a huge failure. Not many want to spend the big extra bucks on the inclusive cruise for product that from all the description herein from users is not so great. Elitism a giant turnoff and space should be converted to something more generally useful.

• Like 3

Seems like the consensus is that there’s no bang for the buck. I’ll go up for the intro on embarkation day, but best to watch my alcohol intake since I have been known to sign up for one too many wine clubs and drunk shop (hey, it’s sometimes like Xmas at my house and my husband asked what I ordered - I am often as surprised as he).  I am most curious about the wines, but I suppose if was Far Niente or Nickel & Nickel, someone here would have mentioned that.  

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Hobar said:

I am most curious about the wines, but I suppose if was Far Niente or Nickel & Nickel, someone here would have mentioned that.  

I can confirm “no” and “no”.  

Far Niente Dolce is (or at least see to be) on one of the wine package lists though….

• Like 1

Isklaar,

I know you are one of the biggest fans of the Howdy Doody Git to Know Yer Neyber Seabourn Signature Block Party. I’ve heard about your 3 bean chili hospitality casserole on saltine hors devore that you somehow smuggle on board. You are somethin’ else!

Of course you will be wearing those slippers below your housecoat, the party being timed to interrupt your ablutions. It’s all a hoot seeing your neyber caught out like that. My friend Mel, who fancies cats like you do, told me your bingo jokes make up for that old housecoat. Must have been a Christmas gift 40 years ago that you just can’t part with, right?

Anyway, let’s hope our paths cross again on some Seabourn ship assuming you can figure out their slippery website. Not sure though that Mel will be able to assist. He still calls them tv typewriters.

Maybe you two can team up and share with the Mrs?

• Haha 1

Terrible space.

Wouldn't dream of spending any money for that. They should PAY people to come there. Absolutely no breeze at all. We kept feeling sorry for the people who bothered to spend their day there. Every (!) other place on the beautiful ships is more exciting.

If it were exclusive for PH suites and up, okay... but the current concept is a joke and anyone who pays for this should have their mental status checked.

On 6/28/2021 at 1:34 PM, markham said:

The Retreat? 

The perfect place for covid to take hold

Actually, sounds like a place to avoid COVID.   Especially true if it’s as unpopular as you say.   There are only 16 cabanas with at most 3 to a cabana.   Somehow that doesn’t sound crowded.   We’d book one for the cruise if we could be assured of avoiding the crowd on the pool deck.   Should be easy to get drinks and food.

Wasn’t easy for us on our last Seabourn voyage, but then we aren’t special guests and won’t be this time.    We did get great service from our cabin attendant  but other than that we had to wait for drinks and oftentimes in the busy bars by the pool and in the forward lounge we were ignored.   

On 7/3/2021 at 11:41 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

Wasn’t easy for us on our last Seabourn voyage, but then we aren’t special guests and won’t be this time.    We did get great service from our cabin attendant  but other than that we had to wait for drinks and oftentimes in the busy bars by the pool and in the forward lounge we were ignored.   

To be honest I, have never heard that a guest on Seabourn was unable to get a drink in various venues.

The staff are more than attentive and when you cough loud enough you should be getting their attention very quickly. Especially under today's circumstances 😂.

Once during Ovation's premier season, though,  I had trouble getting a drink in the Observation Bar at night. But then I just stood up, walked up to the bar and asked the 2 guys behind the bar if there is anything that I could do for THEM, maybe take some orders, help with mixing cocktails, that sort of thing to make THEIR life easier...

You can trust me, they understood pretty fast and I had my cocktail served before I was back in my chair..

• Like 1

5 hours ago, M&PGermany said:

To be honest I, have never heard that a guest on Seabourn was unable to get a drink in various venues.

The staff are more than attentive and when you cough loud enough you should be getting their attention very quickly. Especially under today's circumstances 😂.

Once during Ovation's premier season, though,  I had trouble getting a drink in the Observation Bar at night. But then I just stood up, walked up to the bar and asked the 2 guys behind the bar if there is anything that I could do for THEM, maybe take some orders, help with mixing cocktails, that sort of thing to make THEIR life easier...

You can trust me, they understood pretty fast and I had my cocktail served before I was back in my chair..

Oh my - you are feisty!

• Like 1