7 day Rome NCL cruise

Lkozinko

I am asking if anyone has done this itinerary, we are doing this trip July of 2022. Not concerned with the exact boat just would like to know what excursions you did and would you do them again.
Looking for some advice.

Thank you,

Lisa

Day Land Tours And Cruise Ports Arrive Depart Booked
Sun Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy --- 5:00 PM 0
Mon At Sea --- --- 0
Tue Dubrovnik, Croatia 8:00 AM --- 0
Wed Corfu, Greece 7:00 AM --- 0
Thu Messina (Sicily), Italy 8:00 AM --- 0
Fri Naples, Italy 6:30 AM --- 0
Sat Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy 8:30 AM --- 0

Have you perused the ports of call forums?   Lots of great info on things to do and places to see.

Italy:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/464-italy-ports/

Greece:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/463-greece-ports/

Other European ports:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/8-europe/

• Like 3

I've been to all the ports mentioned but never booked NCL excursions for any of them.  I tend to be quite independent on cruises and like to do my own thing.  Of course, some others much prefer a ship excursion....which I understand.

I arranged private driver/taxi tours in Corfu and in Dubrovnik...both very enjoyable and well-worthwhile.  I have walked around Messina on my own.  However I have heard the trips to Taormina and Etna are worthwhile.  I have walked Naples on my own and also did a private driver tour on another occasion.   My third time in Naples,  I walked to one of the famous pizza places and enjoyed wine and pizza there.  Finally, I have had Livorno port calls twice but never exited the ship as both times it was raining.  My personal preference would be to do a Pisa visit.  I think there is so much to see in Florence that a 4-5 hour (actual time in Florence) cruise excursion would not do it justice.  It really needs a minimum 4-5 day visit to do it properly.

Enjoy your cruise!!

• Like 1

I did a slightly different itinerary a few years prior, but some of the ports were the same. So this trip report might help you a bit. 

We loved Florence, and the excursion we did through NCL was a great taste of what was to come on our post-cruise stay there. Endless food, endless wine, good banter with our fellow travelers - would definitely do it again. Plus it was combined with with a stop at the infamous tower, so able to cross that off the bucket list and laugh at everyone taking their pictures holding the tower up.

In Naples we had THE BEST mozzarella I've ever tasted in my entire life. We had a somewhat miserable day as it was raining a lot, but we got to go through Pompei first for the history, then grabbed fresh cheese and pizza for a great meal.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Sailing12Away said:

I did a slightly different itinerary a few years prior, but some of the ports were the same. So this trip report might help you a bit. 

We had a somewhat miserable day as it was raining a lot, but we got to go through Pompei first for the history, then grabbed fresh cheese and pizza for a great meal.

Wow, I forgot to mention in my response above that my taxi tour of Naples included visits to Pompeii and also Herculaneum.    Both spectacular.  So glad I went.  If you could only do one thing in Naples I would suggest going to Pompeii.  Just beware that you are very exposed to the elements there as basically you are outdoors the entire time.  The day I was there was bright and sunny...almost too hot to be honest.  I remember another time in Naples (when I walked to a famous pizzeria) it rained alot.  The folks returning back to the ship from the visits to Pompeii said they got soaked from the pouring rain.  

We did not do that exact but similar and longer from Venice ; (overnight Venice- I love Venice at night! )

!). Rome - we do a week but one day - Vatican or The walking Tour with Trevi Fountain & Spanish Stairs; wear trainers take water and KEEP MOVING - Watch for pick pockets, Wear cross body bag in front of you.  

2) Dubrovnik - ONE OF OUR FAVORITE TOURS EVER - We never take ships tours but we took this one - GAME OF THRONES TOUR; we were huge fans and it was worth every penny. So fun!! This tour is intense lots of STAIRS!!!!!

3)Corfu - Took private taxi tour

4) Messina - Go to Taormina ....in Messina  - The BEST cannoli in my life , is a little local stand = get off ship make a left go approx 2 blocks; on a corner tiny shop; ask a local , look where all the locals are getting their coffee and pastries...  OMG..  as good as the orange peal cannoli in Palermo !!

5) Naples - Been here multiple times; Pompeii , Herculaneum Sites and then another trip we took the HOHO BUS and went to the MUSEUM that has all the good antiquities the King took out of the dig site - it was great and was much more comfortable than trekking out on that terrible train!

or Take the Bus trip to Sorrento (beautiful town) - but that is a long bus day - Beautiful Scenery but in my opinion not worth all the bus time for so little tour time - But they do have Lemons as big as your HEAD!! LOL!!  Just go to the duty free at the terminal or air port and buy 2 or 3 different kinds of Lemoncello.. Save yourself the bus sickness and go get a Gelato in Naples!!!

6)Flor/Pisa - Been Multiple times--- if you take the Ship tour take whichever holds your fancy But you must see Florence and the museums and DAVID at least once in your life, it is a lovely city 1 day is not enough.  The line for David can take HOURS in tourist season....So keep that in mind..  Get your tickets in advance or book SHIP TOUR IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE DAY>>>You CANNOT DO PISA AND FLORENCE in one day  - forget about it!! Choose! Pisa is a tilted building  - Florence is an Experience.  

Have a wonderful safe trip!!   Which Ship are you booked??

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lkozinko said:

I am asking if anyone has done this itinerary, we are doing this trip July of 2022. Not concerned with the exact boat just would like to know what excursions you did and would you do them again.
Looking for some advice.

Thank you,

Lisa

Day Land Tours And Cruise Ports Arrive Depart Booked
Sun Rome (Civitavecchia), Italy --- 5:00 PM 0
Mon At Sea --- --- 0
Tue Dubrovnik, Croatia 8:00 AM --- 0
Wed Corfu, Greece 7:00 AM --- 0
Thu Messina (Sicily), Italy 8:00 AM --- 0
Fri Naples, Italy 6:30 AM --- 0
Sat Florence/Pisa (Livorno), Italy 8:30 AM --- 0

We have been to all the posts except Messina.

Dubrovnik,  you can easily do on your own, no need to take an excursion or tour.  Be sure to visit  the museum on the south of the city and walk the walls.  Also, can take the cable car up the hill outside the city.

Corfu, we took a great tour that took us to the north end of the island and to a monastery among other things.

Naples, lots to see there, you can take the train on your own to Pompeii or do a tour.  If you have been to Pompeii, visit Sorrento and Capri, including the Blue Grotto.

Florence/Pisa,  visiting Florence is wonderful, but it is a shame to just do a day trip.  However, if you don't plan on going back to Florence do it.  If not, visit Pisa and Lucca.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Gen X Life said:

We did not do that exact but similar and longer from Venice ; (overnight Venice- I love Venice at night! )

!). Rome - we do a week but one day - Vatican or The walking Tour with Trevi Fountain & Spanish Stairs; wear trainers take water and KEEP MOVING - Watch for pick pockets, Wear cross body bag in front of you.  

2) Dubrovnik - ONE OF OUR FAVORITE TOURS EVER - We never take ships tours but we took this one - GAME OF THRONES TOUR; we were huge fans and it was worth every penny. So fun!! This tour is intense lots of STAIRS!!!!!

3)Corfu - Took private taxi tour

4) Messina - Go to Taormina ....in Messina  - The BEST cannoli in my life , is a little local stand = get off ship make a left go approx 2 blocks; on a corner tiny shop; ask a local , look where all the locals are getting their coffee and pastries...  OMG..  as good as the orange peal cannoli in Palermo !!

5) Naples - Been here multiple times; Pompeii , Herculaneum Sites and then another trip we took the HOHO BUS and went to the MUSEUM that has all the good antiquities the King took out of the dig site - it was great and was much more comfortable than trekking out on that terrible train!

or Take the Bus trip to Sorrento (beautiful town) - but that is a long bus day - Beautiful Scenery but in my opinion not worth all the bus time for so little tour time - But they do have Lemons as big as your HEAD!! LOL!!  Just go to the duty free at the terminal or air port and buy 2 or 3 different kinds of Lemoncello.. Save yourself the bus sickness and go get a Gelato in Naples!!!

6)Flor/Pisa - Been Multiple times--- if you take the Ship tour take whichever holds your fancy But you must see Florence and the museums and DAVID at least once in your life, it is a lovely city 1 day is not enough.  The line for David can take HOURS in tourist season....So keep that in mind..  Get your tickets in advance or book SHIP TOUR IF YOU ONLY HAVE ONE DAY>>>You CANNOT DO PISA AND FLORENCE in one day  - forget about it!! Choose! Pisa is a tilted building  - Florence is an Experience.  

Have a wonderful safe trip!!   Which Ship are you booked??

We are on the Escape. Thank you for all the great info, especially for Pisa.

LK