Newbie Questions: Air Fare, Wine and Caviar

TV Dad

On 3/14/2024 at 9:35 PM, RELS said:

It's not on every sea day Sunday. We had a sea day Sunday on Splendor in January, and there was no big brunch. No big brunch at all on that 21-day cruise, which was a bit disappointing

They did Sunday Brunch 3 days before you boarded. I suspect they don't like to repeat the Sunday Brunch just two weeks later, when you had a Sunday sea day.  There were a lot of people on both segments for the Grand Voyage.

Also, there was a lot of gastrointestinal distress on board, so that may be another reason they did not repeat it so soon.

On 3/17/2024 at 1:08 PM, SusieQft said:

Also, there was a lot of gastrointestinal distress on board, so that may be another reason they did not repeat it so soon.

I'd like to hear more about the gastrointestinal distress on Regent. After tasting the caviar onboard Regent once, we didn't want to try it again since it was rather fishy, and I don't like fishy at breakfast. But if they aren't serving it due to gastrointestinal distress, that makes me worry about having a more widespread problem onboard. Is there a Regent ship other than Voyager who has had norovirus/covid protocol onboard this year?

2 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

I'd like to hear more about the gastrointestinal distress on Regent. After tasting the caviar onboard Regent once, we didn't want to try it again since it was rather fishy, and I don't like fishy at breakfast. But if they aren't serving it due to gastrointestinal distress, that makes me worry about having a more widespread problem onboard. Is there a Regent ship other than Voyager who has had norovirus/covid protocol onboard this year?

I am not aware of any.

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2024 at 4:43 PM, SWFLAOK said:

In my case, it was on Splendor.  They did not go "code red," and I do not know if it was norovirus.  I blamed mine on foolishly drinking some fresh fruit juice from a glass on an excursion in Panama, and the timing supports that, but not from the Brunch in my case.  I reported it to the medical center, and the doctor just asked both my husband and me to stay in our cabin that evening, and we could go out again the next day if we felt okay.

My comment about a "lot of gastrointestinal distress" was based on a remark by the doctor and also overhearing conversations about other guests staying in their cabins on their own initiative.  And perhaps a bit of projection, once I was sensitized to the issue.

It had nothing to do with the caviar.  I was referring to the special Sunday Brunch in Compass Rose as a possible source of GI issues (due to poor guest behavior at the buffet tables), not the caviar which is offered every Sunday in both Compass Rose and La Veranda.  Any time there is a self serve buffet, it increases the risk of disease transmission. 

Edited by SusieQft