Newbie Questions: Air Fare, Wine and Caviar

TV Dad

My wife and I have cruised most of the major cruise lines as well as Seabourn and Silversea. We're thinking about  dipping our toes in the Regent pool. Hope you can answer a few questions for me:

1. Can you upgrade to business class airfare for domestic ports? I'm looking at two cruises that depart and end in the USA. The Regent website says Regent upgrades to business class for international journeys only. What do they do for domestic travel?

2. Can you get a credit if you choose to book your air travel independently? If so, how much credit?

3. Is there a problem, with air arrangements, if you choose to arrive a few days ahead of time?

4. I understand wine is included.  What champagne or Cabernet Sauvignon are typically offered complimentary? What about higher end wines? Are they available on board for sale? Champagnes like Veuve Cliquot or Dom Perignon? Cabs like Silver Oak or Caymus?

5. Is Caviar available? If so, is it complimentary?

Thank you all so much for answering my obviously first world questions!

We have booked our first Regent cruise, so I'm a newbie.  However, I also asked a few of these questions and here is what I learned:

1.  Yes, for an additional amount you can upgrade to business class for domestic flights (we opted not to, since ours are short to the gateway airport).

2. Yes, you can get credit for not using Regent's air and book your own.  I think the credit might be dependent upon the specific trip.  My understanding is you can also get credit if you decide to book a different hotel (if you have the pre-cruise hotel with your stateroom.)

3.  You can pay a deviation fee and get alternate flights/times/dates.  We opted to go in a couple of days early, so paid (if I remember correctly) $175/pp to alternate our route.  Our TA found out what hotel Regent would put us in, so we booked the same hotel, just a couple of days early.  That way, we won't have to move our hotel and we still have the transportation to the port.

4-5.  I am sorry, I can't help you one these, but there are some wonderful folks on this forum that I feel can answer you!  There is great information on this forum, and one helpful one I used included "what I learned on this forum"

We are looking forward to our trip and I hope you find a great trip, too!

On our last cruise, Dom was $250 a bottle.  The only time we saw caviar was at Sunday Brunch.  You receive one serving. I always ordered it, though I do not eat it, so my husband could enjoy two servings.   Not at all like the caviar on Seabourn.  We always have a standing order for champagne and caviar in our statement while we dress for dinner when sailing on Seabourn.  

• Like 3

Yes, don’t make the mistake I did.  We boarded on a Saturday so our first breakfast was a Sunday.  Regent had a wonderful display of various types of caviar, and offered champagne with it.  I thought this would be a daily offering so passed on it, only to learn the following day that it is only offered on Sunday.  🙈

6 hours ago, HotRoot said:

On our last cruise, Dom was $250 a bottle.  The only time we saw caviar was at Sunday Brunch.  You receive one serving. I always ordered it, though I do not eat it, so my husband could enjoy two servings.   Not at all like the caviar on Seabourn.  We always have a standing order for champagne and caviar in our statement while we dress for dinner when sailing on Seabourn.  

Actually, you can enjoy as much as you like....you are not limited to 'one serving' either in Compass Rose or La Veranda during Sunday brunch....all one has to do is ask :-)

Edited by Kwaj girl
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, TV Dad said:

4. I understand wine is included.  What champagne or Cabernet Sauvignon are typically offered complimentary? What about higher end wines? Are they available on board for sale? Champagnes like Veuve Cliquot or Dom Perignon? Cabs like Silver Oak or Caymus?

Caymus is usually available for an upcharge. Not sure about Silver Oak.

There's usually a few Cabs available as regular pours, and it can vary cruise to cruise. I generally go with the Simi if they have it.

7 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

The past two times we were on the Explorer (admittedly in an upper suite), Veuve Clicquot was the welcome champagne in our suite.  We were given a discount on bottles of wine, and believe the V.C. came to about $62. a bottle in the restaurants.

Veuve Clicquot is the welcome bottle for the upper suites and for Titanium and above Seven Seas Society members.

12 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

The past two times we were on the Explorer (admittedly in an upper suite), Veuve Clicquot was the welcome champagne in our suite.  We were given a discount on bottles of wine, and believe the V.C. came to about $62. a bottle in the restaurants.

Given how venues like cruise ships and restaurants tend to have pretty high percentage "mark ups" on liquor....I think the $62 price for a bottle of VC is actually pretty reasonable.  You can get it at Costco for about $45.   😊 

• Like 1

This is a great thread and I thank everyone that contributed.  For several years I have been researching Regent.  What I like best is how transparent everyone is about what is and is not included.  It is so important to a luxury cruise vacation to set our expectations fairly.  It is ok to have up charges, on changes in air fare, fine foods/wines.  All we have to do is know what the "Rules Are" then we don't get disappointed.

Thank you all again, very helpful information for anyone wanting to select Regent.

• Like 5

2) Yes, Regent will reimburse you if make your own flight arrangements.  The amount can be found at the bottom of suite pricing for each cruise.  If you make your own flight arrangements transfers also aren't included. 

3) On my last regent cruise complimentary wines included Raymond R collection Cabernet and a $12-14 Champagne (Googled it).  I was in a Concierge suite and I am not Titanium so the $12/14 Champagne was also the complimentary Champagne in the room.  They don't advertise which wines are complimentary so try to figure out exactly what they have.   For example we specifically asked for the French Burgundy Chardonnay, if you just ask for Chardonnay you'll get the cheaper one.  I don't know if I had asked for a higher quality Champagne I would have gotten one.

I have bought the Caymus Cab for $100 and Phelps Insignia for $200 but that was a while back.  The Connoisseur list is pretty decent and not that badly priced.

4) I have never had caviar on Regent but have never been to the Sunday brunch.

Edited by RetiredandTravel
typo

Re

25 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

2) Yes, Regent will reimburse you if make your own flight arrangements.  The amount can be found at the bottom of suite pricing for each cruise.  If you make your own flight arrangements transfers also aren't included. 

3) On my last regent cruise complimentary wines included Raymond R collection Cabernet and a $12-14 Champagne (Googled it).  I was in a Concierge suite and I am not Titanium so the $12/14 Champagne was also the complimentary Champagne in the room.  They don't advertise which wines are complimentary so try to figure out exactly what they have.   For example we specifically asked for the French Burgundy Chardonnay, if you just ask for Chardonnay you'll get the cheaper one.  I don't know if I had asked for a higher quality Champagne I would have gotten one.

I have bought the Caymus Cab for $100 and Phelps Insignia for $200 but that was a while back.  The Connoisseur list is pretty decent and not that badly priced.

Regent will not reimburse you for making your own flight arrangements. They will give you a credit in lieu of their airfare. Also, the domestic flight upgrade is to First Class, I do not think there is a Business Class domestically any longer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

"Retired" - Getting the Caymus Cab for a $100 "upcharge" is very reasonable, indeed.  I'm only referring to it as an "upcharge" since I know that some of the "accountants" in the group will probably point out that we've "already paid" for the "regular pours" and that a $100 "price difference" is not the same thing as actually paying $100 for a bottle of Caymus.

So, If we wish to play along with that game....let's just assume that a "complimentary" bottle of a "fair or slightly above average" Cab poured at a Regent dinner table is $15 - $20.  Adding that to the "upcharge" for a bottle of Caymus, I would argue....is still a "bargain", compared to what you will be charged at any restaurant that's "good enough" to even know what Caymus is, and for an establishment that even offers it.

Having gone out to nice restaurants many times over the years, a $150-$200 charge on the menu for a bottle of Caymus Cab is "quite normal".  And many on this board have most certainly seen it for even more than that on a restaurant menu.  And that's why I think Regent is really offering some very nice premium wines at a very reasonable price.  Regards  🙂

"Ping" thats exactly what my wife always points out "we aren't drinking the complimentary wine".

The $100 Caymus was in 2016, the Regent Connoisseur list had exceptional values at that time.    The prices were equivalent or lower than you could buy the wines at a wine store. Caymus -$100, Phelps Insignia - $200,  Antinori Cervaro - $55.  I had a $1000 OBC and had a blast, great bottle of wine every night.  

I'm guessing Norwegian has gotten involved and the prices have since gone up but still decently priced.

The Raymond R Collection Cab is a $10 bottle of wine.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, RetiredandTravel said:

The best brunch ever is ….Sunday at sea …. on Regent. Not only caviar but so much more. And, it’s all delicious. After that, you can not eat the rest of the day ( until dinner)!

• Like 4

On 6/28/2021 at 5:53 AM, TV Dad said:

My wife and I have cruised most of the major cruise lines as well as Seabourn and Silversea. We're thinking about  dipping our toes in the Regent pool. Hope you can answer a few questions for me:

1. Can you upgrade to business class airfare for domestic ports? I'm looking at two cruises that depart and end in the USA. The Regent website says Regent upgrades to business class for international journeys only. What do they do for domestic travel?

2. Can you get a credit if you choose to book your air travel independently? If so, how much credit?

3. Is there a problem, with air arrangements, if you choose to arrive a few days ahead of time?

5. Is Caviar available? If so, is it complimentary?

Thank you all so much for answering my obviously first world questions!

We inquired about a Business class upgrade for an upcoming cruise in and out Miami, but it was double what we would pay by booking ourselves

15 minutes ago, tipsygirl said:

We inquired about a Business class upgrade for an upcoming cruise in and out Miami, but it was double what we would pay by booking ourselves

Some advise here.  When I did deep research on Regent, it became clear that you had to be a bit careful with my wife and my expectations on the notion of Business Class Airfare.  Setting expectations especially on a luxury cruise is extremely important.  No one wants to be disappointed.  

Here is what we found out and what we decided.  To gain full business class from start to finish, we had to begin our journey from a major airport like Atlanta, GA.  We live two hours away from Atlanta so that was not perfect but not so bad either.  This allowed the airfare to have the highest chance of being direct and business class.  The potential issue was to gain the lowest fare, Regent might fly us from Atlanta to lets say New York or Chicago.  That would be coach.  Good bet that Atlanta would be direct both ways though.  Worth the risk and no extra cost. 

On overseas travel, if you choose not to take the Airfare the credit back to lower your rate is $2,500.00 per passenger.  You simply can't buy a business class flight to Europe for that price so it was a bargain either way. 

Knowing all this, I was not happy that on my Bucket List cruise, on the very best All Inclusive Cruise Line in the world, we would be in coach.  I wanted Business Class the whole way.  I am a very fortunate person and had traveled all my life, I booked using my Airline Points on Delta One, business class the whole way and took the $2,500.00 per passenger as a discount to my fair.  I am away not everyone can or has the ability to do that.  

It is also important to note that if you are in a fare that provides Pre-Cruise Hotel which I sincerely recommend, make sure when you do not take airfare it you also loss your transfers.  Again, sets expectations and no surprises.  

This is just an example and that is all it is meant to be.  Not a criticism at all.  When you pay what amounts to a new small automobile for a Bucket List cruise,  just "know the rules to the game".  Again, setting reasonable expectations to avoid disappointment is the key.  It makes the vacation so much better. I hope this helps in some way.

• Like 1

Regent always books coach domestically. If you want First Class, there is an upcharge. I buy my own airfare in the US and let Regent do it if I am going outside.

To avoid confusion, there is no Business Class in the USA - only Coach and First.

Although the Regent airline credit is a little light for Europe its quite generous for Japan ($5.5k each), Australia/NZ($8k each) and South America ($3k).   "Sthrn" is correct in that you need to consider the cost of included  hotel and transfers because you lose them when you make your own arrangements.   We almost always use miles so we take the credit.  I was unaware of the deviation fee "Hearth" mentions above, seems like a must.  We met people from London that used Regent  Air , they had to connect thru Dubai (starting) and Hong Kong (ending) going from Tokyo to London, not optimal.

That's very interesting "Bellagio".  We always enjoy the room service for breakfast.  We were surprised on our last cruise that they didn't do anything special for Easter Sunday, just Ham & Lamb at dinner.  I bet they had a big spread at Brunch and we missed it.

For clarity: 

• Caviar & champagne is available during breakfast service in both Compass Rose & La Veranda on all Regent ships every Sunday.
  • The gastronomic extravaganza that is "Sunday Brunch" is only on Splendor & Explorer and only when Sunday is a sea day - usually a maximum of one event per cruise even if there are two Sundays that fall on sea days.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/28/2021 at 5:53 AM, TV Dad said:

As others have mentioned yes, you can have Regent upgrade you to First Class for Domestic flights.  The problem is that the cost of the upgrade is generally much much more than you can book yourself.  Knowledgeable travelers who wish to fly in First Class domestically almost always take the Regent credit and book the First Class flights themselves saving quite a bit of money.