world cruise 2022 tale of tales

poodle664

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

Looks like I can answer my own questions, the Whisper is now ploughing through rough seas at the start of 10 straight sea days, due to arrive Cape Town on Feb 22nd.

That sounds miserable.  SS should be paying the pax to endure that crossing.

I have a quick question about the ship itself.  We will be on Whisper in August (Tromso to Reykjavik) for our first SS cruise.  In reading about the SS ships, it seems that Whisper does not have all the bells and whistles that the newer ships have.  Since it seems that Whisper is a favorite for world cruises, what makes it special?   Is there anything in particular that makes this ship stand out?  Thanks for your thoughts on this subject! 

21 minutes ago, forgap said:

I have a quick question about the ship itself.  We will be on Whisper in August (Tromso to Reykjavik) for our first SS cruise.  In reading about the SS ships, it seems that Whisper does not have all the bells and whistles that the newer ships have.  Since it seems that Whisper is a favorite for world cruises, what makes it special?   Is there anything in particular that makes this ship stand out?  Thanks for your thoughts on this subject! 

It’s more to do with the crew than the ship. It is missing the changes that were made to its sister ship, the Shadow, which have improved it. Perhaps also many happy memories made on the ship.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2022 at 9:10 PM, Gourmet Gal said:

That sounds miserable.  SS should be paying the pax to endure that crossing.

I dont think the word "endure" comes into it.   I suspect they are disappointed at not being able to disembark at various island destinations but that they are having a whale (pardon the pun) of a time eating and drinking, attending lectures, trivia, demonstations, whale and bird watching and just relaxing.

Edited by labrasett
typo

I am guessing that the WC crowd likes the familiarity they have with the crew, the cruise, unique for Silversea as it is, and each other. If so then Whisper is homely.

OTOH, it is what it is. It does not compare facilities-wise to the impactful, luxurious and generous Muse, Moon and Dawn, nor does it compare positively to the Seabourn Odyssey, Quest and Sojourn which are slightly larger, better equipped eg their Observation Bars and Club lounges, and newer than Whisper. 

I have been on Cloud as well and was very unimpressed. But that is just me. Your adventure may take you to all of these ships and more to find one or more “homes” away from home.

Happy and healthy sailing!

• Like 1

I'm sure Markham is right about the importance of the familiar. For me, I don't need all the bells and whistles of a new ship. Whisper, and Shadow which is planned to do the next 2 World Cruises, are comfortable, familiar and great experiences. For me, it is the total package that counts.  As an aside I well remember the uproar created by Seabourn loyalists when that line decided to move from the familiar three sisters to, perish the thought, "new bigger ships".