Viking Star is coming to the UK

Staffordshirecruiser

Just as the UK has to say  goodbye to Viking Venus, we hear that Viking Star is to visit in August to undertake two Scenic Shores cruises which mirror the route Venus took. A number of ex Venus travellers including ourselves have booked already.  Let’s hope Viking decide to operate UK round trips in future years!!!

• Like 3

That's good news.  Hope they will consider some throughout the year in future.  We're not feeling confident about travel just yet (especially flights), but I'm considering a cruise on Saga's newest ship in November, as it looks similar to Viking - apart from the dress code, which will be difficult to accept after three years of Viking's less pretentious and more relaxed style!

Never say never though... our diary is empty for August!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jammy Bun said:

That's good news.  Hope they will consider some throughout the year in future.  We're not feeling confident about travel just yet (especially flights), but I'm considering a cruise on Saga's newest ship in November, as it looks similar to Viking - apart from the dress code, which will be difficult to accept after three years of Viking's less pretentious and more relaxed style!

Never say never though... our diary is empty for August!

Seriously Jammy Bun the dress code is not that rigid on Saga, especially for the ladies. Saw ladies on Viking who wouldn’t have looked out of place on a formal night.

Men are expected to wear at least a jacket and tie on formal nights but surely not too much of a trial? 😉 Don’t think the dress code police will frog march you to your room if tie is loosened after dinner.

We enjoyed our 2019 cruise on Discovery and are looking forward to our cruise on Discovery at the end of September.

Interesting to hear about Viking Star in August have to say we’re very tempted, never been to Tresco 😀

Like you we’re not keen on flying at the moment, maybe we’ll both be on board on Star in August 🤞🏻

Just a thought maybe we won’t be restricted to the ships bubble in August.

Edited by Glenndale
  • Like 1

Had email offering another 7 nighter leaving on 21st August, but not yet on the website.  Isle of Man, Falmouth and scenic sailing to Scotland and the Channel Islands.   Oh so tempting!  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

Had email offering another 7 nighter leaving on 21st August, but not yet on the website.  Isle of Man, Falmouth and scenic sailing to Scotland and the Channel Islands.   Oh so tempting!  

We would love to try Viking (Azamara & Oceania our main stay lines) and are hoping that they introduce a similar sailing the following week (28 August) 🤞

We have transferred from Iceland to the August 14 sailing.   Iceland too uncertain with GovUk not yet approving cruises except to Uk.   Will do Iceland in the future sometime but looking forward to the Scilly Isles in particular

We did the Venus 5th July sailing and jumped at the chance to book the 14th August sailing on Viking Star. They are offering Double Loyalty discount (£200pp) on these cruises if you book before this Friday. No prices or details yet on the 21st sailing but that one wasn't even announced when we booked on Sunday morning. Would probably have gone for that instead just for the change of itinerary but we are happy to do a repeat of our June itinerary just to enjoy the onboard Viking experience again without the need to wrestle with the hassle of flying at this time.

Hoping that Viking's bubble excursion policy might be relaxed by mid-August so that we have the chance to explore a bit on our own. After all we were let loose on Tresco on the 5th June cruise and there were quite a few visitors in the gardens who were not in our bubble and we survived that.

• Like 2

We have booked the Aug 14th as our first Viking Ocean cruise, we have done a few river cruises with them so we're very excited for this one. 

Please does anyone know when the shore excursions will be released? and also how we book parking at Portsmouth? I looked on CPS but they don't have Viking as an option.

Many thanks. 

1 hour ago, Canberra forever ! said:

We have booked the Aug 14th as our first Viking Ocean cruise, we have done a few river cruises with them so we're very excited for this one. 

Please does anyone know when the shore excursions will be released? and also how we book parking at Portsmouth? I looked on CPS but they don't have Viking as an option.

Many thanks. 

If you look at the itinerary and then at the daily ports the excursions are listed but no prices.

Viking might make an arrangement with CPS for parking, they did on our cruise.

Leave booking for a while and check back now and then.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Canberra forever ! said:

Many thanks. 

We've also booked on the 14th August cruise. WE have also done this itinerary on 5th June on Viking Venus. For that cruise, the excursions/dining bookings in MyVikingJourney were opened up about 2 weeks before the cruise date if I remember correctly. Viking claim that they will email you when the bookings can be made but my advice would be to log into your MVJ account every couple of days so that you don't miss out.
As far as parking goes we booked through CPS for the June cruise but CPS are currently not showing Viking as an option. I called them and they were unaware of the upcoming August cruises. The Viking representative I spoke to seemed to think that Viking were still in discussions about arranging the parking. With the June cruises they negotiated a special deal with the Local Portsmouth Cruise Terminal parking company (£55 I think from memory). No evidence yet if that deal will reappear. I will just keep checking the CPS website every few days to see if Viking pops up as an option.

• Like 2

High Guys. Just logged into the CPS website and noticed that Viking is now listed as an option for the 3 cruises in August. They are quoting £77 for the weeks' parking which is a saving on the £91 if you park directly with the Cruise Terminal Parking website. However as I stated earlier, Viking did negotiate a cheaper deal with them in June (£55) so I am hoping that might appear.

Edited by arlowood

51 minutes ago, Canberra forever ! said:

Thank you for the advice Glendale and Arlowood I'll keep checking and look forward to see you both and also Staffordshirecruiser on board! 

https://www.vikingcruises.co.uk/oceans/cruise-destinations/baltic/englands-scenic-shores/index.html#search/sfym=2021-8&sftcm=17-162870

Go to read more on the right hand side.

We will stick to the included tours.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, arlowood said:

High Guys. Just logged into the CPS website and noticed that Viking is now listed as an option for the 3 cruises in August. They are quoting £77 for the weeks' parking which is a saving on the £91 if you park directly with the Cruise Terminal Parking website. However as I stated earlier, Viking did negotiate a cheaper deal with them in June (£55) so I am hoping that might appear.

In June cheaper deal was Apcoa not CPS. Same car park. We booked with Apcoa and dropped luggage at terminal before parking, although I think CPS were collecting all luggage from car park regardless.

Current Apcoa price is £104. Maybe same deal will turn up again.

11 minutes ago, Dave W 10 said:

In June cheaper deal was Apcoa not CPS. Same car park. We booked with Apcoa and dropped luggage at terminal before parking, although I think CPS were collecting all luggage from car park regardless.

Current Apcoa price is £104. Maybe same deal will turn up again.

Yes, I believe the deal was £55, negotiated between Viking and Apcoa back in June. Sadly I had already booked with CPS at £71 so was a bit miffed. Not sure if Viking are planning to negotiate a similar deal for the August cruises but I'm holding off making a CPS booking for the time being

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi Canberra, Arlowood, Glendale, Mancunian, think you are all on 14 Aug along with us.  Look forward to seeing you on board.  What did you decide Jammy Bun?  

Not made any decisions, but probably won't do it as we're ultra cautious and covid numbers are so high and will inevitably soar again following the lifting of restrictions next week.  I know Viking are the safest, and we're double-jabbed, but hearing about Andrew Marr being so poorly recently has made me question whether I would enjoy being inside anywhere with other people.  

If we do go for it, it's most likely to be the 21st August cruise.  And I will of course be following all your adventures and will be VERY jealous when I hear all about them!  

4 hours ago, Glenndale said:

Thanks Glenndale! 

4 hours ago, arlowood said:

Thanks Arlowood! 

Very impressed  with our first Viking Cruise round England  on the Venus in June.  I would prefer the Med at this time of year and to be able to explore ashore independently but with the current Covid situation that was never going to be possible.  So a UK cruise was the best option and Viking handled everything very smoothly and professionally.  It was  so nice to be back on board a cruise ship that we have just booked the other itinerary on Star for 21 August, and the  £100 past passenger discount was a nice bonus!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Marmaduke said:

Very impressed  with our first Viking Cruise round England  on the Venus in June.  I would prefer the Med at this time of year and to be able to explore ashore independently but with the current Covid situation that was never going to be possible.  So a UK cruise was the best option and Viking handled everything very smoothly and professionally.  It was  so nice to be back on board a cruise ship that we have just booked the other itinerary on Star for 21 August, and the  £100 past passenger discount was a nice bonus!

We received a double discount due to having recently returned from the 12th June Venus Cruise.

Maybe it's worth you asking about it?

Just been informed that the discounted parking rates are now available for the August cruises on Viking Star. The website of the cruise terminal parking company is in the link below

https://portsmouth.apcoa.co.uk/

Viking have negotiated a deal of £60 for the week - a considerable saving over the £91 without the deal.

• Like 1

Can I ask advice from those of you have done this parking before at Portsmouth.

How far is the walk to the car park.   I am partially disabled and use a rollator and my husband has recently had a complex operation on his arm. This means I am not sure about him pulling suitcases.

We are at present torn between the two firms.  The advantage of CPS would be that they drive the car to the park.  Of course my husband could drop me and luggage and then take the car.  However coming back is more problematic.  CPS reserve disabled spaces the other firm says they have them but you cannot reserve.   The bigger problem is of course the luggage.  Do you think if my husband went to collect the car he could get back to pick up me and the luggage

Finally if we use the other firm and you are taking and collecting your own car does this mean you keep your keys which we would prefer as we are coming on from a week in Cornwall so will be leaving stuff in the car.

Many thanks

From memory there is a mini bus from car park to terminal for disabled people. Cases are collected in the car park and next time you see them they are in cabin.

We booked with Apcoa but think this is probably a port service.

Presumably there is a similar return service from terminal to car park but I would ring and check if I were you.

We kept our keys with us.

Edited by Glenndale

4 hours ago, mancunian said:

Can I ask advice from those of you have done this parking before at Portsmouth.

How far is the walk to the car park.   I am partially disabled and use a rollator and my husband has recently had a complex operation on his arm. This means I am not sure about him pulling suitcases.

We are at present torn between the two firms.  The advantage of CPS would be that they drive the car to the park.  Of course my husband could drop me and luggage and then take the car.  However coming back is more problematic.  CPS reserve disabled spaces the other firm says they have them but you cannot reserve.   The bigger problem is of course the luggage.  Do you think if my husband went to collect the car he could get back to pick up me and the luggage

Finally if we use the other firm and you are taking and collecting your own car does this mean you keep your keys which we would prefer as we are coming on from a week in Cornwall so will be leaving stuff in the car.

Many thanks

We booked with CPS when we were on the 5th June sailing of the Viking Venus. We have used CPS many times for P&O cruises out of Southampton and like the valet parking element at that port. About 10 days before our cruise in June we had an email from Viking stating that CPS would not be offering the valet service at Portsmouth. This was slightly worrying but as it turned out I was worrying unduly.

When we arrived on the departure day we were guided to the car park by a CPS rep and inside the car park there were several other attendants who directed you to where you were to leave your car. The luggage was taken away immediately and transferred to the ship. The car park was a short (5 min) walk from the Terminal where you did the check-in. After going through security, you were bussed to the ship. I'm sure if you have mobility issues, Viking will sort out the best way to get you aboard without you having to struggle. You could have your husband drop you at the Terminal and he could then park the car but as said above there will probably be a shuttle to help people get to the Terminal if they have any issues.

BTW - we kept our car keys after parking.