Viking Star is coming to the UK

Staffordshirecruiser

1 hour ago, ospreycruiser said:

Just received the Viking email about the Verifly app. This will not be compatible with my old phone and when I booked on the phone I was told the NHS vaccination letter was acceptable, but no mention of this option in the mail.

Yep. I just received the same email. On our June cruise Viking were happy with our vaccine status being confirmed with the NHS app or the little cards issued by the vaccine centres when you were jabbed.

I'm sure my phone will probably handle the VeriFLY app but I just think it is another level of faff and hassle that I could do without.

I'm going to give it a go over the next couple of days to see if I hit any problems.

10 minutes ago, arlowood said:

Yep. I just received the same email. On our June cruise Viking were happy with our vaccine status being confirmed with the NHS app or the little cards issued by the vaccine centres when you were jabbed.

I'm sure my phone will probably handle the VeriFLY app but I just think it is another level of faff and hassle that I could do without.

I'm going to give it a go over the next couple of days to see if I hit any problems.

This app also seems very intrusive to me. I have the NHS app which surely should be sufficient.

The verifly app seems more appropriate for North American guests, especially those who will be flying.

I really do not want to install this data gatherer on my phone.

16 minutes ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi - just checking those people who have booked UK Star voyages or those who are interested know about the book of faces We love Viking UK, the US site is also really good.

The U.K. based group is really aimed at U.K. passengers as the way Viking does business here, and local issues, are different from other places. 

2 hours ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi Osprey, I am sure the letter will be fine, we will have them with us in case Verify fails.

The U.K. govt has said only the NHS App or a printed version from 119 is official proof of vaccination for people in England. Scotland, Wales and NI have similar systems. 

16 hours ago, ospreycruiser said:

Just received the Viking email about the Verifly app. This will not be compatible with my old phone and when I booked on the phone I was told the NHS vaccination letter was acceptable, but no mention of this option in the mail.

I spoke to Viking this morning and they confirmed NHS letter or app if fine at check in. The Verifly app is aimed at fly/cruise passengers but the system automatically sends it to every booking.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, ospreycruiser said:

I spoke to Viking this morning and they confirmed NHS letter or app if fine at check in. The Verifly app is aimed at fly/cruise passengers but the system automatically sends it to every booking.

Thanks for having the foresight to check with Viking and let us all know. 😀

5 hours ago, ospreycruiser said:

Thanks for that. It would have been helpful for Viking to add a footnote in their email that the VeriFLY system was not really aimed at the UK staycation cruises. I've just spent at least an hour going through the palaver of setting up the app and trying to get the "Ready to Travel" authorisation for our 14th August cruise. I'm now successfully authorized through the VerFLY system but I'm just a tad miffed that an hour of my life has been  wasted on a pointless exercise.

I have another question about embarkation. I have seen the comments about being released from the cabin after handing over covid test samples and viewing the muster drill video, but what happens before cabin access? If we have an early check in time are we held in one of the public areas on the ship until our access time of 2.00 pm or can we wander about and eat/drink?

2 minutes ago, ospreycruiser said:

I have another question about embarkation. I have seen the comments about being released from the cabin after handing over covid test samples and viewing the muster drill video, but what happens before cabin access? If we have an early check in time are we held in one of the public areas on the ship until our access time of 2.00 pm or can we wander about and eat/drink?

We embarked around 11:30 and it seemed as though all the cabins were ready for occupation.

We left the ship at 7:20 and I believe everyone was disembarked by 8:30.

So no waiting for cabin to be ready.

21 hours ago, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Hi - just checking those people who have booked UK Star voyages or those who are interested know about the book of faces We love Viking UK, the US site is also really good.

I need a bigger hint if possible, please.  Viking UK brings me a group of people who would apparently like to be actual Vikings, and the office supply company.

1 hour ago, Glenndale said:

We embarked around 11:30 and it seemed as though all the cabins were ready for occupation.

We left the ship at 7:20 and I believe everyone was disembarked by 8:30.

So no waiting for cabin to be ready.

Thanks Glenndale. If everybody was disembarked by 8:30 what time did they stop serving breakfast? 

On 7/24/2021 at 2:03 PM, Staffordshirecruiser said:

Taunton, Amelia and Ansun, I think you have all said you are new to Viking, is there anything else you would like to check with one of us who were on the Venus sailing?

Hi Staffordshirecruiser

Thank you for the asking. My main questions were around parking at the port (which has been answered) and where and when does the first Covid test take place, and what happens before the results come back (which has been answered but I know it may be different for our cruise).

No doubt more questions will come to me but as ever these forums have been so useful. 

On 7/26/2021 at 5:15 PM, ospreycruiser said:

Although it’s not mandatory I thought the App was a good idea to load up the vaccine certs pre embarkation, two fewer bits of paper to locate.  Took me about 5 mins to set up me and then same for the husband.  Longest time was getting a photo in which we didn’t look like serial killers 🤣

20 hours ago, downsmead said:

Have seen that the Scilly Isles has been dropped for the sailing on the 7th and Holyhead has been substituted for Douglas on a later sailing.

Where did you find out this information ?  There is no notification on my "My Viking Journey" nor on Viking's  own website.

20 hours ago, downsmead said:

Have seen that the Scilly Isles has been dropped for the sailing on the 7th and Holyhead has been substituted for Douglas on a later sailing.

Now I will not be happy if they pull Tresco from the 14/8 sailing as that’s the one excursion I was really looking forward to.   Do you know if they emailed everyone or just announced it on their website?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marmaduke said:

Where did you find out this information ?  There is no notification on my "My Viking Journey" nor on Viking's  own website.

I got an email with the revised schedule for the 07/08

Hopefully if you have not had an email, your sailing should be ok, the 21/08 have had an email re their change. Keeping fingers crossed for you. We are sad to be missing the Scilly Isles but never mind.

BCAE0284-9913-48B9-814F-3CDBDA41F8C2.thumb.png.9df20c74ac70a94018703b80d56a1678.png

Edited by downsmead