New York Prohibits Residents From Purchasing Princess Insurance

Today I was advised by Princess Cruises that all passengers from New York State will be prohibited from purchasing Princess Vacation Protection after 7/20/21.  Since my wife and I have only purchased travel insurance thru Princess Cruises for the past 17 years I would greatly appreciate any information on travel insurance providers that offer coverage similar to the Princess Platinum Vacation Protection.

My Federal Employee health insurance from Blue Cross covers my medical expenses overseas so main concern is trip cancellation for any reason and medical evacuation coverage.  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Below is a portion of the email that I received from Princess today:

107F9600-A9D0-4540-B063-E133D1E42B18.jpeg

There was discussion of this over on the Cunard forum about ‘Cunard Care” and New York residents - so it is likely this applies to the insurance offered by all Carnival sub brands. 

I wonder what has recently changed in NY to block coverage? 

I would recommend visiting the trip insurance store  website

Edited by TheOldBear
Added content

I would highly recommend that you double check and ask very specific questions regarding your BC/BS coverage.

I also have international coverage with my BC/BS policy.

I recently experienced a $3600 ER medical visit in Cancun. BC/BS paid a grand total of $72 due to using an Out of Network facility

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 7/22/2021 at 11:57 AM, kidder kid said:

I was recently advised that Princess Cruises is dropping the availability of its insurance for NYS residents.  Does anyone know why and what alternatives are available?

The same holds for Holland America, another Carnival brand...

I just did a chat session with Holland America and they are saying the entire cruise booking would have to have been paid in full, not just the protection policy.  Very strange considering they're both Princess lines.

On 7/12/2021 at 11:20 PM, klfrodo said:

I would highly recommend that you double check and ask very specific questions regarding your BC/BS coverage.

I also have international coverage with my BC/BS policy.

I recently experienced a $3600 ER medical visit in Cancun. BC/BS paid a grand total of $72 due to using an Out of Network facility

I agree, I was told by my BC/BS representative to check and see what hospitals, clinics, and doctors were in-network for all of the ports I would be visiting. And to take that information with me. Fortunately most of the ports are in major cities where there were in-network facilities.