Canada's cruise ship ban to end November 1st, 2021

3 hours ago, Winters in NZ said:

Canada deserves to be the recipient of any sniping directed its way as  Canadian  decisions have been politically motivated ,  politicians being  interested in eventual voters who  can be either won or lost in the long term.

I am usually as cynical about politicians as the next person, but during this pandemic it was refreshing to see provincial premiers of various parties singing from the same hymn-book. For sure, some were a little slow to sing in tune. Elections will be held before too long and the degree of co-operation is falling, but some have performed better than I would have ever thought.

Getting back to the ban on cruise ships, one of the reasons given by Transport Canada a way back was the concern about the health care system should a ship with a large number of sick people dock in a Canadian port. 

Regarding the border closure, I am pleased that the federal government has ignored the bullying of some in the travel industry, particularly Canadian airlines, and also the regrettable comments - especially  demands - by some U.S. governors and at least one ex-governor.

Several months ago Canadian airlines demanded the border be opened. I hate to think what would have happened if the government gave in just as the "third wave" hit. Many hospitals were almost full and doctors in Toronto hospitals were concerned that they were on the verge of having to make decisions as to who might live and who will be left to die. Toronto hospitals were sending patients to other parts of Ontario and Manitoba was sending patients to north-west Ontario. 

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, david,Mississauga said:

I am usually as cynical about politicians as the next person, but during this pandemic it was refreshing to see provincial premiers of various parties singing from the same hymn-book.

I as critical of politicians as the next person but like you, I am very impressed with how our Government in NB has handled the pandemic.

We are very grateful to be living here where things are relatively “safe”.  Our beauty salons have been open since last April/May.  Our restaurants open (reduced capacity), everything has been open once we got past the red and orange stage and in a few weeks we should be fully open once we hit 80% fully vaccinated.  (We are at 55+% fully vaccinated and over 80% with 1st dose).

Long post, apologies but whether I like our government officials or not, I do like the way they have handled things here.

• Like 2

Masks are no longer mandatory where we live.   Most people are still wearing them.  Only saw one or two people in Costco today not wearing a mask-including us.    From our perspective it is hardly a big deal.

Same in a few other stores.  Outside of the urban areas it is different.

Edited by iancal

21 minutes ago, iancal said:

Masks are no longer mandatory where we live.   Most people are still wearing them.  Only saw one or two people in Costco today not wearing a mask-including us.    From our perspective it is hardly a big deal.

Same in a few other stores.  Outside of the urban areas it is different.

Uh not in our experience, the local coop most are masked but a large supermarket by some condos, masks were only worn by two other shoppers besides us.  I know where we’ll be shopping! 

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I as critical of politicians as the next person but like you, I am very impressed with how our Government in NB has handled the pandemic.

We are very grateful to be living here where things are relatively “safe”.  Our beauty salons have been open since last April/May.  Our restaurants open (reduced capacity), everything has been open once we got past the red and orange stage and in a few weeks we should be fully open once we hit 80% fully vaccinated.  (We are at 55+% fully vaccinated and over 80% with 1st dose).

Long post, apologies but whether I like our government officials or not, I do like the way they have handled things here.

BC on the other coast mirrors your.province.  it has been handled extremely well here.  I will still mask in enclosed spaces however.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, T8NCruise said:

BC on the other coast mirrors your.province.  it has been handled extremely well here.  I will still mask in enclosed spaces however.

They have. It must be the influence of the oceans 😉 

Seriously, we are still masked here - we don’t lift them until we hit our fully vaccinated number of 80% and even then, I suspect I will be like you.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

They have. It must be the influence of the oceans 😉 

Seriously, we are still masked here - we don’t lift them until we hit our fully vaccinated number of 80% and even then, I suspect I will be like you.

Just watching.local news, our average is 79% but most communities are around 90.  However, the Delta variant has crept in.

We are cautiously optimistic about the border being open soon.  We haven't seen our grandkids in over two years.  We are also thankful to the BC government for keeping the province safe.  We are both fully vaccinated so here's hoping we can see them sooner rather than later.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, T8NCruise said:

Just watching.local news, our average is 79% but most communities are around 90.  However, the Delta variant has crept in.

I was talking about fully vaccinated, not first dose 😉 

I think those are your first dose numbers??  I don’t know of any province yet to achieve those percentages for fully vaccinated?

• Like 2

We have a long, long way to go.

We are only at 75 percent of those over 12 for the first dose.  And a dismal 50 percent for the second shot.  For seniors I believe that it is in the high eighties for both shots.    With age comes common sense so they say.

This does not tell the entire story.  We have some counties that are well below these numbers.  They are rural areas where health care/hospital care is not as easily accessed as it is in urban areas.   

Our daughter lives in one of these areas.  The vaccination clinics are typically empty despite the low vaccination numbers.  Scary.

• Like 1