When does MSC update Venice cruises for April 2023

JOHN 57

This will be the last year cruise companies will be permitted to dock anywhere near Venice, the lagoon basin or enter into any of the canals.   Ships will have to dock on the mainland and tender passengers across or have them use the local taxis or train.  I won’t be surprised if another 10 years Venice won’t want tourists at all out of sheer preservation.  Consider yourself fortunate to get to see it before that happens.  

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/venice-ban-cruise-ships-after-years-protests-locals-environmentalists-n1273900

Edited by MotownVoice

You'll still be able to go near Venice, and stop there on shore excursions from the nearby ports they'll use as a replacement. 

At the moment, MSC only has World Europa sailings for 2023. I spoke to customer service recently and was told check back in a month, although they didn't sound very confident about it. 

8 hours ago, sidari said:

My guess is Trieste would become the port for the larger ships.

Based on how other ports in Italy are described, I wouldn’t put it past anyone to label Trieste as Venice. But it’s not anywhere near Venice. Not quite LeHarve/Paris bad, but still ridiculous. 

6 hours ago, zekekelso said:

Based on how other ports in Italy are described, I wouldn’t put it past anyone to label Trieste as Venice. But it’s not anywhere near Venice. Not quite LeHarve/Paris bad, but still ridiculous. 

Somewhat like London Southampton ... 😂😂

23 hours ago, sidari said:

Splendida is or will be sailing from Trieste over the summer.

Splendida is already sailing from Trieste and they are offering a shuttle transfer from Venice Airport to Trieste for 25 euros per person one way. 

For Magnifica and Orchestra sailings this summer they will use Monfalcone (around 90 minutes transfer by bus and return transfer to Venice at the end of cruise). 

16 hours ago, zekekelso said:

They already have! I agree that the way they label very distant ports as the place of interest is ridiculous. Although to be fair you can get to them after extensive travel. 

I noticed in 2022, Trieste was the closest Venice Port.  As I have a cruise booked from Venice for October 2021, I check the MSC Canada website often to see if they are allowing North Americans yet.  Still no confirmation for October, but until end of August - no, no North Americans. 

Here is the latest details for 'Venice departures'.  Monfalcone, looks to be the closest port for Trieste, as well.  I don't foresee them paying for bus shuttles from Venice into 2022. 

Travel advice for cruises departing from Venice, from July 24th 2021

In view of the latest decision taken by the Italian Government, please note from July 24th 2021 all Health & Safety checks (including health screening, temperature measurement and the antigen swab test) and check-in procedures (including luggage delivery), will regularly be held in Venice Maritime Station (Cruise Terminal), as per original travel program; all embarking guests will then be transferred by protected bus to Monfalcone (90 min transfer), where they will board the ship after a quick document check. No Health & Safety checks and check-in will be possible in Monfalcone. At disembarkation in Monfalcone at the end of the cruise, guests will be granted the return transfer to Venice (Cruise Terminal/Airport/Railway Station, as per original travel program).

55 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

Still no confirmation for October, but until end of August - no, no North Americans. 

Not correct. I am from the United States, and am North American. We are sailing next month. The ban on non-Schengen passengers on MSC ended on July 15.

44 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Not correct. I am from the United States, and am North American. We are sailing next month. The ban on non-Schengen passengers on MSC ended on July 15.

This thread is about Venice and European cruises. MSC Canada updated their website within the last 24 hours. This is what is states this morning for European cruises. 

*Cruises until August 31, 2021 are only available to guests who are residents in Schengen countries (Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Greece, Spain, France, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Hungary, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Finland, Sweden and Switzerland) and in Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania.

If you are sailing on their US cruise, it is a different matter and was not addressed in my earlier comment.

7 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

This thread is about Venice and European cruises. MSC Canada updated their website within the last 24 hours. This is what is states this morning for European cruises. 

*Cruises until August 31, 2021 are only available to guests who are residents in Schengen countries (Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Estonia, Greece, Spain, France, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Hungary, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Austria, Poland, Portugal, Slovenia, Slovakia, Finland, Sweden and Switzerland) and in Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania.

If you are sailing on their US cruise, it is a different matter and was not addressed in my earlier comment.

Yes, and as much of a fan of MSC as I am, there's lots of conflicting information out there, even on their own websites. The US is not a Schengen country, so even though what you copied comes from the MSC Canada site, it still implies that non-Schengen country residents aren't allowed until August 31. Which isn't correct, because both the MSC USA website and the MSC representative I spoke with 10 days ago said that US cruisers are allowed on MSC's European sailings starting July 15.

Just be clear, we are not sailing on a US cruise. We are sailing on an MSC cruise in Europe August 28. FYI I'm not blaming you for the conflicting information; this is MSC's fault.

Edited by DCGuy64

13 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

Yes, and as much of a fan of MSC as I am, there's lots of conflicting information out there, even on their own websites. The US is not a Schengen country, so even though what you copied comes from the MSC Canada site, it still implies that non-Schengen country residents aren't allowed until August 31. Which isn't correct, because both the MSC USA website and the MSC representative I spoke with 10 days ago said that US cruisers are allowed on MSC's European sailings starting July 15.

Just be clear, we are not sailing on a US cruise. We are sailing on an MSC cruise in Europe August 28. FYI I'm not blaming you for the conflicting information; this is MSC's fault.

I hope it works out for you, and yes, it doesn't say either way on the US site.  I'll edit my upper response then (darn.  I already missed my window of opportunity - can't edit).  

Personally, my April 2019 was to be my first MSC cruise and after multiple cancellations I guess my MSC experience will just be inconsistent and disappointing customer service. I'll go back to slow land travel now that I am retired. 

Edited by mef_57

6 minutes ago, mef_57 said:

I'll go back to slow land travel now that I am retired. 

I must say I envy the retired these days. When you and your spouse both work full-time, it can be a logistical nightmare trying to arrange, and then re-arrange, travel plans. Many people who hear of cruises getting canceled or pushed back say "just go next month" or "next year." If only it were that simple!

• Like 1