Lisbon in one day

We will be in Lisbon for one day, from 10 AM to 11 PM.  We've never been to Lisbon.  Can anyone give advise as what to do for the day in Lisbon? We'd like to get a feel for the city and visit the major sites.

Thanks!

Not too helpful I know, but Lisbon is a  major capital city with a wealth of sights, and with only one day there you will need to miss more than you can fit in.  You need to find the sights which appeal to you personally.

Can only suggest you read as much as you can about Lisbon,including reviews, as that will help you focus on what is most important  and of  interest to you.   Remember to check if your interests will be open on the day of the week you visit.  And take into account the high temperatures often to be endured in Lisbon and the  steepness of many of the streets.

Once you identify your interests, it will be much easier to plan  your day, but Lisbon is a lovely city and I am sure you will enjoy whatever you decide to do..

• Like 1

ToFor one day I suggest you get a taxi or Uber from the dock and go to the Belem area. Ask the driver to drop you at the Tower. From there you can explore the Tower, walk the short distance to the monument to the great explorers. Across the road, through the park is the great Monastery. Beside the monastery is the bakery that claims to have the best custard tarts which appears to be the national dish. It's a very historic district and always full of tourists so expect long lines to get inside.

From Belem take an Uber to the castle S Jorge. Last March I think we paid 6 euros. The castle sits on a hill from which you get great views of the city.

From the castle take a leisurely walk downhill towards the river front, Praca do Commercial area. 

Enjoy your day. Great city.

Look online for a 1 day trip. Try VIATOR or TOURS DE PORTUGAL. We went down to the waterfront.  Wentcto the Naval Museum and the Coach Museum.  Our guide took us to Sintra.  I think there is a Lisbon HOHO bus.