Rent or bring own snorkel equipment

On 2/17/2022 at 9:32 PM, Flatbush Flyer said:

If you’re going to invest in snorkel gear, consider getting a “no fog” mask. Cressi (a top manufacturer of dive gear) makes several “no fog” versions and (trust me) they work! You only need to remember to not wipe the madk’s interior coating - instead, just rinse them with fresh water. Cressi makes excellent snorkels and fins too. But, fins (perhaps almost as much as the mask) need to fit YOU. 

I recommend finding a good “dive shop” so you can try on stuff and get expert advice.

But, one thing is for sure: The last thing you want to do is stick a rental or tour-provided snorkel in your mouth (no matter how much you’re told they’re “sanitized” between uses).

We use Cressi “no fog” masks. Excellent (as are their snorkels). I don’t mention fins because feet are a whole other ball game and best fit (among multiple companies) can be a real challenge.

That said, going to a good dive shop where you can try masks (and fins) on for fit is essential. We actually waited until our most recent trip to Kauai to replace our old gear at our favorite dive shop in Kapaa. 

I know that this thread is more than 9 months old and the OP probably has come and gone on their cruise.  However let me add that we bought my wife a full face mask 4-5 years ago and never looked back.  She was never much of a snorkeler before getting the mask but now she loves snorkeling. Takes it on every cruise, and it doesn't fog up, ever.  My daughter and daughter in law also have full face masks.

My full face mask that very comfortable to wear but I usually take/use my dive mask/snorkel instead since I like to free dive when not scuba diving.

We also bought some cheap, short travel fins. About half the size and weight of full size ones for packing.  They work well for snorkeling.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

If you go with a FFM (full face mask), please make sure you buy from a reputable brand. These things can be dangerous!

Full Face Snorkel Mask Dangers, Deaths and Safety Tips - Snorkelvibe

Being in the water and snorkeling has some inherent dangers. FFMs are no more or less dangerous than regular masks.

6 minutes ago, mac66 said:

Being in the water and snorkeling has some inherent dangers. FFMs are no more or less dangerous than regular masks.

Ummm... if you've read the article I posted -- or any of the others just like it -- you'd know that's not at all true. For example, you cannot get carbon dioxide buildup in a regular diving mask. If you choose to use one, just be sure you're using a quality, name-brand mask which may have guards against CO2 buildup.

But I will agree that being in the water and snorkeling has some inherent dangers. 

9 hours ago, PORT ROYAL said:

A Dry Snorkel is a must.

Just know that if you decide on a Cressi mask, it has a specific snorkel connector that comes standard on their snorkels. But, you can get the fasteners separately if you love some other snorkel company.

21 hours ago, mac66 said:

21 hours ago, bruzin_for_a_cruizin said:

Ummm... if you've read the article I posted -- or any of the others just like it -- you'd know that's not at all true. For example, you cannot get carbon dioxide buildup in a regular diving mask. If you choose to use one, just be sure you're using a quality, name-brand mask which may have guards against CO2 buildup.

But I will agree that being in the water and snorkeling has some inherent dangers. 

Sigh....the report you cited is ambiguous at best. Full of generalizations about snorkeling. Yes, fatalities have gone up with FFMs because more people are using them. That doesn't mean FFMs are causing deaths. In fact none of the fatalities cited could be attributed to wearing FFMs. They just happened to be wearing FFMs when they drowned.  Correlation doesn't equal causation.  The rates are the same as before when people mostly used regular masks. As I said, snorkeling and swimming in the ocean is inherently dangerous.

The carbon dioxide thing has been argued about before. Despite what that report says, it is very hard for Co2 to affect you if you are getting any O2. I looked it up and cited it before the high concentrations of Co2 needed to cause impairment is nearly impossible to achieve even in a full face mask if you are breathing in and out. As long as you are getting oxygen in it is mixing with the Co2 lowering the concentration with every breath. The only way to get Co2 asphyxiation is to block/restrict air (O2) input and breath in high concentrations of Co2.  Could that happen? It sounds plausible when talking about a full face enclosure but FFMs are pretty open, well ventilated and hard to block. So theoretically yes but it would take a long time. Longer than someone would be likely to spend in the water.  The science just doesn't add up.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Dancing Shoes said:

Interesting.  If full face masks are not bad for you, then why do the dive and snorkel shops on Maui refuse to rent them?  I am an experienced snorkeler and would not recommend this type of mask to most people.  

No idea about Hawaii, but FFMs are everywhere in the snorkel/rental shops in the Caribbean.  Was recently on a 12 day cruise in the Southern Caribbean. Stopped at 7 islands, did 4 snorkel trips and two dives. FFMs  for use were on every snorkel boat. And like I said, my 67 year old wife, who is not a good swimmer has used hers dozens of times for 4-5 years.

And again, there is absolutely no proof that FFMs are any more dangerous than conventional face masks/snorkels. Snorkeling/swimming is inherently dangerous.

Edited by mac66
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mac66 said:

No idea about Hawaii, but FFMs are everywhere in the snorkel/rental shops in the Caribbean.  Was recently on a 12 day cruise in the Southern Caribbean. Stopped at 7 islands, did 4 snorkel trips and two dives. FFMs  for use were on every snorkel boat. And like I said, my 67 year old wife, who is not a good swimmer has used hers dozens of times for 4-5 years.

And again, there is absolutely no proof that FFMs are any more dangerous than conventional face masks/snorkels. Snorkeling/swimming is inherently dangerous.

Common sense says that having two items (mask and snorkel) one each for seeing and breathing, is far safer that a single combined item that, if accidentally breached or or otherwise removed, leaves you with neither function.

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Common sense says that having two items (mask and snorkel) one each for seeing and breathing, is far safer that a single combined item that, if accidentally breached or or otherwise removed, leaves you with neither function.

Maybe... but remember you're floating on the surface of the water. If you get water in your regular snorkel or lose your snorkel (get it kicked out of your mouth by another snorkeler..hey it's happened to me) you could inhale a big gulp of water and panic.

In a full face mask the snorkel automatically blocks off.  You simply raise your head out of the water. You don't have to clear water out of it like a regular snorkel.  We aren't talking about diving, we're talking about floating on the surface. 

I've use both a regular and FFM.  My wife has been using one for at least 5 years.  We just got back from 7 island cruise where we snorkeled on 5 islands. Face in the water time was often 45-50 minutes at a time, probably 2 hours total with no Co2 asphyxiation.  I think it's easier/more natural to breath through a FFM than a regular snorkel and mask. You've apparently never tried a FFM and probably never will 😉 but I respect your opinion. Different is often scary.

41 minutes ago, mac66 said:

Maybe... but remember you're floating on the surface of the water. If you get water in your regular snorkel or lose your snorkel (get it kicked out of your mouth by another snorkeler..hey it's happened to me) you could inhale a big gulp of water and panic.

In a full face mask the snorkel automatically blocks off.  You simply raise your head out of the water. You don't have to clear water out of it like a regular snorkel.  We aren't talking about diving, we're talking about floating on the surface. 

I've use both a regular and FFM.  My wife has been using one for at least 5 years.  We just got back from 7 island cruise where we snorkeled on 5 islands. Face in the water time was often 45-50 minutes at a time, probably 2 hours total with no Co2 asphyxiation.  I think it's easier/more natural to breath through a FFM than a regular snorkel and mask. You've apparently never tried a FFM and probably never will 😉 but I respect your opinion. Different is often scary.

You’re not familiar with dry snorkels?

In any case, FFMs are still considered dangerous by many authorities.

https://hawaiioceanproject.com/why-we-no-longer-support-full-faced-snorkel-masks/
We’ll stick with top rated Cressi gear.

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

14 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

You’re not familiar with dry snorkels?

In any case, FFMs are still considered dangerous by many authorities.

https://hawaiioceanproject.com/why-we-no-longer-support-full-faced-snorkel-masks/
We’ll stick with top rated Cressi gear.

To each his own....

FFMs have been in use for 8 years by millions of people. My wife, daughter, daughter in law love them. We will continue to use them.

Edited by mac66

• 2 months later...