Taxis in Costa Maya ?

jinpasco

There have been folks who say you are able to take dedicated taxis in Costa Maya. At least for now.

Could anyone fill us in on the rules ? We like to go to The Krazy Lobster but wondered if we would be only be able to remain in the Taxi as an excursion and not able to get out to eat or shop. I fully understand every sailing will have new and different rules but wondered if anyone did or knew of people who tried the taxi services. Thanks.

Photo from today; two different drivers said they’ll take us anywhere we want. USD Cash only, no meters.  The concern is getting back if you wanted to get dropped off somewhere, we didn’t risk it since we wanted to scuba diveEF764DD4-F67A-4EDF-9AA6-57A0A4CF72EB.thumb.jpeg.b5993e7d1546b74567a7e903bdfd638e.jpeg

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

Both the capt and the shore excursions person said it’s approved taxis only and approved tours/locations.  Drivers said they’ll go anywhere but pushed going downtown.  We didn’t want to risk it as I’m sure our dive shop wasn’t “approved” or X would have offered a ship tour there.  Still a lot of “gray” yet with enough cash I’m sure you can do anything you want.  Just be prepared for the worst case that it’ll be more to get back then it is to get there and don’t pay for a round trip in advance if you’re being dropped off.

There is a " sort of " Excursion to town , the light house and beach...for 80.00 pp for  only 4 hrs !!. Even if we would be able to walk around the Malecon ...is it really worth 160.00 ?   We like the atmosphere there and would love to see the crew at the Krazy Lobster....but that's a bit much for what used to be a 4.00 pp cab ride. May have to wait until next cruise.  I appreciate your review.

No problem, I’ll just share my direct experience from today, we weren’t offered tours, both drivers asked where do we want to go and when we really didn’t have an answer as we cancelled our dives already, they offered to drop us off downtown and pick us up later whenever we were ready to head back to the ship

20 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

No problem, I’ll just share my direct experience from today, we weren’t offered tours, both drivers asked where do we want to go and when we really didn’t have an answer as we cancelled our dives already, they offered to drop us off downtown and pick us up later whenever we were ready to head back to the ship

I thought Celebrity were requiring ship only tours in Mexico? Has this changed now? Are you allowed to travel independently?

unless you go all the way to Bacalar, or the ruins there isn’t really anywhere to tour to but downtown in Costa Maya. Is the waterpark open for ship-only excursions?

21 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

approved taxis

22 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

The concern is getting back if you wanted to get dropped off somewhere, we didn’t risk it since we wanted to scuba dive

Having been to Costa Maya multiple times, IF independent excursions ARE allowed I don’t really understand the problem regarding getting back.

IF they are not allowed what is an “approved taxi” and what use is it?

I am really not following what you are saying.

Edited by c-leg5

55 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Having been to Costa Maya multiple times, IF independent excursions ARE allowed I don’t really understand the problem regarding getting back.

IF they are not allowed what is an “approved taxi” and what use is it?

I am really not following what you are saying.

We wanted to be dropped off at a dive shop which we imagine is not an approved tour, we were concerned that finding an approved taxi back could be difficult.  Taxis were pushing for dropping us off downtown, I’d imagine it wouldn’t be difficult to get back from downtown or from another “approved” tour.

18 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

We wanted to be dropped off at a dive shop which we imagine is not an approved tour, we were concerned that finding an approved taxi back could be difficult.  Taxis were pushing for dropping us off downtown, I’d imagine it wouldn’t be difficult to get back from downtown or from another “approved” tour.

I thought Celebrity were requiring curated tours only in Mexico? Has this changed now? Are you allowed to travel independently?

unless you go all the way to Bacalar, or the ruins there isn’t really anywhere to “tour” to other than downtown in Costa Maya. Is the waterpark open for ship-only excursions?   

I suppose I am not understanding the significance of an “approved taxi”, what it actually is and what use it would be if not to take you to town and allow you to wander “at will” or visit your own dive shop, which was presumably downtown? There is very little else to visit locally.

Perhaps you are saying the trolley that normally goes into town  wasn’t available? Or the golf cart rentals? But once you get to town I don’t see what would  stop you going to any of the beach bars and yet I read on another thread someone couldn’t get a taxi to Jamie’s?

I don’t have any cruises booked for the foreseeable future and I am sure the protocols will change many times before they apply to me - just trying to clarify for other regular visitors to Costa Maya, and the OP.

It sounds very confusing. I am not surprised people can’t  follow the protocols.

5 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I thought Celebrity were requiring curated tours only in Mexico? Has this changed now? Are you allowed to travel independently?

unless you go all the way to Bacalar, or the ruins there isn’t really anywhere to “tour” to other than downtown in Costa Maya. Is the waterpark open for ship-only excursions?   

I suppose I am not understanding the significance of an “approved taxi”, what it actually is and what use it would be if not to take you to town and allow you to wander “at will” or visit your own dive shop, which was presumably downtown? There is very little else to visit locally.

Perhaps you are saying the trolley that normally goes into town  wasn’t available? Or the golf cart rentals? But once you get to town I don’t see what would  stop you going to any of the beach bars and yet I read on another thread someone couldn’t get a taxi to Jamie’s?

I don’t have any cruises booked for the foreseeable future and I am sure the protocols will change many times before they apply to me - just trying to clarify for other regular visitors to Costa Maya, and the OP.

It sounds very confusing. I am not surprised people can’t  follow the protocols.

1) celebrity says  “approved taxi” and “approved tours”.

2) All taxis there are already approved as they’re already through the pier check point.

3) You can’t leave the pier area on foot (like before) only in a taxi or ship tour.

4) We thought the risk of not getting back onto the ship was too great.  The dive shop was NOT downtown which was part of the risk we weren’t willing to take as we’re 99% sure a dive isn’t approved.

5) two different drivers said they’ll take us anywhere, getting there wasn’t the problem

6) no idea what an approved taxi needs to say, if anything, to get passengers through the pier checkpoint.  We were also unclear if we could find an approved taxi to bring us back from the dive shop.

So yes, clear as mud (lol)

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

1) celebrity says  “approved taxi” and “approved tours”.

2) All taxis there are already approved as they’re already through the pier check point.

3) You can’t leave the pier area on foot (like before) only in a taxi or ship tour.

4) We thought the risk of not getting back onto the ship was too great.  The dive shop was NOT downtown which was part of the risk we weren’t willing to take as we’re 99% sure a dive isn’t approved.

5) two different drivers said they’ll take us anywhere, getting there wasn’t the problem

6) no idea what an approved taxi needs to say, if anything, to get passengers through the pier checkpoint.  We were also unclear if we could find an approved taxi to bring us back from the dive shop.

So yes, clear as mud (lol)

LOL,  thanks for the details as you know them, although as you say clear as mud and I certainly don’t understand the logic! 

The fact that taxis are allowed in to pick up is a change that will help many, the owner usually doesn’t allow it. Taxis have always been allowed in to drop off.

Going August 7th on Carnival Mardi Gras.  Would love to get a taxi to Boardwalk like area.  Just wondering if much is open right now?  If not we will stay at the cruise port area, which is also very nice.  For Carnival - they are sailing at 95% vaccinated and those 95% don't have any restrictions.  Would love to just walk around and go in shops if they are open.

21 minutes ago, LynnTH said:

Going August 7th on Carnival Mardi Gras.  Would love to get a taxi to Boardwalk like area.  Just wondering if much is open right now?  If not we will stay at the cruise port area, which is also very nice.  For Carnival - they are sailing at 95% vaccinated and those 95% don't have any restrictions.  Would love to just walk around and go in shops if they are open.

You can get some idea of places that are open by looking at recent TripAdvisor reviews from Iand visitors and locals. 

Malecon21 is definitely open according to reviews. Someone on CC reported Jamie’s is open and yet I read a report where someone couldn’t get a taxi to Jamie's so I don’t understand what that was about.

Ships have only just  begun returning so hopefully more reports will be available soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Hearing that Carnival's Mardi Gras, in port today, was only telling unvaccinated or groups with unvaccinated people (like children) could only take bubble excursions.  Nothing was mentioned about anyone else being restricted.  But the person I heard from didn't get off the ship.  So, as the blog said, the saga continues.

• 2 weeks later...

I just got off the Mardi Gras last week and we just walked off the ship as usual, got in a taxi right at the port and he drove  us to the Krazy Lobster for $4 each. (2 for $8). There were plenty of taxis waiting to bring people back to the ship for the same price. No one even mentioned approved taxis or approved tours.

We spent some pleasant time at the Krazy Lobster then I went to Fernando's store and bought a couple bottles of sipping tequila to bring home. I wanted to pass by Tropicana to see if it was still operating with the new people but forgot about it. (too much tequila)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, tallyho8 said:

I just got off the Mardi Gras last week and we just walked off the ship as usual, got in a taxi right at the port and he drove  us to the Krazy Lobster for $4 each. (2 for $8). There were plenty of taxis waiting to bring people back to the ship for the same price. No one even mentioned approved taxis or approved tours.

We spent some pleasant time at the Krazy Lobster then I went to Fernando's store and bought a couple bottles of sipping tequila to bring home. I wanted to pass by Tropicana to see if it was still operating with the new people but forgot about it. (too much tequila)

Good to know you were able to take your own taxi to and from town again after recent reports.

Taxis have been $8 per taxi each way for a while  now and should have been that price for four people too, unless they have doubled.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/17/2021 at 7:14 PM, ninjacat123 said:

@tallyho8good to know!  Was the walk down the pier from the ship super long?  Were there pedicabs?  How far to the taxis would you guess? My 83 year old mom can walk but not very fast.  Thanks!

There are no pedicabs on the pier.  There used to be a shuttle trolley but don't think is was running in August according to reports I've seen.  Might be running now.  Just take your time.  Even with the shuttle you'll need to walk almost all the way through the shopping complex, then cross th parking lot to the gate and the taxi stand, unless they're letting taxis into the port now.  Used to be a tram to the beaches that you could pick up on exiting the shopping area, but again, it wasn't running in August based on reports I've seen.

Maybe someone who's been there over the last 2 weeks can update.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
5 minutes ago, Tinkerbellsparkle said:

We just got charged $4 pp from port to Blue Cay, seems a lot for 10 minute ride 😵💫

will see how much the return trip is 🥴

Is Blue Cay in Mahahual?  If so, we were charged $4 per person from the port to The Krazy Lobster which is about a ten minute ride as well.  And it was the same rate going back to port.

6 minutes ago, Tinkerbellsparkle said:

We just got charged $4 pp from port to Blue Cay, seems a lot for 10 minute ride 😵💫

will see how much the return trip is 🥴

That’s  been the price since cruising resumed. I agree it is an overcharge but lots of ongoing threads - try the end of this one

please report back on Blue Kay -recent reviews haven’t been too good. Could you let us know if they are still offering PAYG. Thanks!