How Might MSC differ from Carnival?

WhaleTailFlCruiser

I have checked out some sailing from Miami on Meraviglia and as I usually cruise solo only paying $600 and change for a seven day cruise seems like a no brainer but at the same time I realize MSC is a very Euro line so just curious what I might be getting myself into. As I have only cruised Carnival Mainly with two Royal sailings sprinkled in. I am not big on dressing up which is why I stick to the buffet on Carnival on elegant nights or if I do dress up it is some nice jeans and a button down shirt. Just don't want to book a new line and be in over my head lol. 

MSC out of Miami is not like MSC out of Italy. It is a step up from Carnival. Beautiful new ships, more mature crowd, better food than Carnival, better shows than Carnival. It will be plenty American cruise like for you. I've sailed the MSC Seaside out of Miami and have a two week cruise booked on the Seashore out of Miami next year. I sail the Carnival Panorama next month so I tell you my opinion in an unbiased manner. You don't have to dress up either ..... nice polo, clean jeans, and some decent shoes and you're good to go. 

Edited by tallnthensome

33 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

MSC out of Miami is not like MSC out of Italy. It is a step up from Carnival. Beautiful new ships, more mature crowd, better food than Carnival, better shows than Carnival. It will be plenty American cruise like for you. I've sailed the MSC Seaside out of Miami and have a two week cruise booked on the Seashore out of Miami next year. I sail the Carnival Panorama next month so I tell you my opinion in an unbiased manner. You don't have to dress up either ..... nice polo, clean jeans, and some decent shoes and you're good to go. 

I agree with the above except for the shows. I've found shows on Carnival to be better and on RCCL to be *by far* the best.

The main problem with shows on MSC is that they cater to an international audience so tend to be non-verbal. This means a comedy show may be more slapstick-y, no shows like Quest or Newlywed (Love and Marriage, etc.).

That being said, the shows are all short (usually 30min) and *are* good. The main shows tend to be things like acrobatic events or Michael Jackson tributes, etc.

25 minutes ago, tallnthensome said:

The Michael Jackson tribute Timeless was the best show we have ever seen at sea. 

LOL, I've heard so many people say that. Personally, my wife and I hated it. People we were with loved it though, so we are definitely in the minority there.

I think the best show I've ever seen at sea is the presentation in the 270 lounge on RCCL Anthem class ships (can't remember the show name).

On MSC it was one of the acrobatic shows on Seaside (again, can't remember the name).

• Like 1

22 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

Just don't want to book a new line and be in over my head lol. 

My opinion:  The experience on Carnival and MSC is similar with MSC being a bit more upscale.  Entertainment on both, I think, is very good to excellent.  A wide variety of lounges and places to go throughout the day.  Meraviglia is a beautiful, classy ship as to decor.  I have only sailed on Carnival Freedom, Pride, Liberty, and Miracle.  Meraviglia's decor is quite different than those 4 ships.  Cuisine?  As a YC guest, I dined in the YC Restaurant and was pleased.  I did consume some of their pizza at the mid-ship's pizza station and it was delicious and, I think, better than Carnival.  

The times I've sailed Carnival I could not find a quiet place on deck or when eating in the buffet. I like hard rock but listening to AC/DC while I try to eat breakfast wasn't enjoyable for me. I ended up eating a number of my meals in my cabin after that. Carnival is too noisy for me.

Here's a difference...

MSC knew where this whole COVID thing was going in regards to cruising restart and they decided upon an included, dockside swab test and inside mask use. Easy-peasy.

Carnival, not seeing which way the wind was blowing, has now stuck their guests with the burden of getting a negative test result within a three-day window of embarkation. Boy, there sure is some wailing and gnashing of teeth on that board about the testing and 😷.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, no1talks said:

Here's a difference...

MSC knew where this whole COVID thing was going in regards to cruising restart and they decided upon an included, dockside swab test and inside mask use. Easy-peasy.

Carnival, not seeing which way the wind was blowing, has now stuck their guests with the burden of getting a negative test result within a three-day window of embarkation. Boy, there sure is some wailing and gnashing of teeth on that board about the testing and 😷.

Wow...your post made me check their updated protocols...a lot of people are going to be upset...

• Like 1