Jumping ship from Princess

We have been loyal Princess cruisers for our family holiday cruises.  Princess has made the business decision that children under 12 will not be allowed on this years holiday cruises.  We are looking at Royal Caribbean for an alternative.  Can anyone tell me what holiday activities they do for children (Santa, kids club etc)?  Also, what are the benefits of booking a suite vs a balcony?  TIA

We have sailed on Royal a couple of times during the holidays and the last time was with a 5 year old. They do a nice job, the ship decorations are amazing. He is now 7 and has sailed a couple of times and the Kids Club program is outstanding, it has various levels based on age groups which is nice. My wife and daughter are both teachers so they are very picky when it comes to things like this and both rave about the program on Royal. Depending on the size ship you choose they have a nightly parade that is geared toward families and on one night they had Santa. 

On cabin size the balcony is nice but of course the suites are larger, would depend on your group. You get some extra benefits from Royal for suites as you do with all cruise lines. We have done both and think they both have pluses but usually go to the balcony because we don't spend much time in our cabins. 

Hope that helps, let us know if you have any other questions. I do think sailing during the holidays is a special treat. 

The suite benefits vary depending on the ship.  Oasis class ships have different categories for suites- sea, sky, and star.  It depends on which suite you are in as to which level/category it is, and what the benefits are.  Some ships have the suite lounge, a sun deck, and a restaurant.  Oasis class (I'm not sure about the others) will also begin to add in wi-fi, drink packages, etc as you move up in categories.  If you are star class, you will also get a Genie, who is essentially your own personal butler.  On any ship, if it is a move from balcony to junior suite, you will go from shower only, to having a bathtub.  Depending on the ages of your kids, this could be beneficial.  After junior suite, you will need to look at reviews and information to determine which suites have tubs vs showers.

My children have been cruising the last three years, since they were 4 & 8.  We almost always cruise in December.  Alaska was the only exception to this.  My oldest absolutely loves the kids club and is always asking to go whenever he is not on the Flowrider.  My youngest would rather stay with us.  But, that is due to personality more than anything.  Whenever we do make him go, at least once every cruise, he has a great time.

I don't remember any Santa meetings, but we also go earlier in December, to get the lower prices.  So, maybe we are too early.  But, the ships are beautiful with the decorations.  My kids always have an amazing time.  This December will be our first time on the Oasis class size and we are really looking forward to it.  We have done Adventure, Freedom, and Ovation, which are all other classes and different from each other.  My husband did not enjoy the set up of Ovation as much as the others, but I liked it.  My kids have enjoyed all of them.  My oldest is happy with waterslides and Flowrider.  My youngest is happy with mini golf and the pools.  So, we always find something for everyone.

We do not have kids but we sail every year just before Christmas and the ship is decocorated to the hilt.

We've only been on two cruises over Christmas and both times they went all out for the kids! For instance, Santa was tracked by radar until final arrival on the ship and then gifts were given out for the kids. (Not sure this would work on the mega ships!)

They always have extra Chrismas shows in the theater and at the ice rinks.

You and your kids will love it.

It's been 15 years since we took a holiday cruise on RC, but it was done beautifully.  Loads of stuff for our (then) young kids to do, and they ship was decorated to the nines.  From what we've heard from friends and other cruisers, that has not changed.  RC is very family oriented.

As for suites, the only real perk to a Junior Suite is a slightly larger room and the extra point per night.  That's it.  For higher suites, it can almost be like a different world and, most certainly, a different class of service.  At the very least, you will have a much larger and livable stateroom and access to a concierge who can make a lot of things happen.  Just about every ship now has a Suite Lounge, which can be a nice retreat and (when not in COVID protocol) has a nice breakfast bites in the morning and heavy hors d'oeuvres and cocktails in the evening.  You also have a very nice served breakfast in a specialty restaurant (on most ships).  Crew also just tend to go the extra mile for suite guests.

They have all kinds of family activities!  We went to see Santa and all kids get presents (grouped by age), they had hot chocolate and cookies and free alcohol drinks for parents.  Everything on the ship had a holiday theme - trivia, caroling, ugly sweater contest, music, games, movies, etc.  We missed the memo that everyone wears matching holiday pjs to breakfast on Christmas day 🙂 and everyone went to the main dining room!  I would not spend the extra money for the fancy specialty Christmas meals because what was served in the MDR was just as good!  

My family prefers to book connecting rooms over suite because we like the extra space/bathroom.  The year we went at Christmas, I booked the trip very last minute and we had inside rooms.  My kids loved it!  

Have no knowledge of what is done on Royal for Christmas (other than decor) for kids, I’ve sailed on Easter and there was an Easter Bunny with goodie bags for the kids. That was a while ago, so things have probably changed. 

But we have cruised Princess, and their “regular” balcony cabins were smaller than those on Royal. We only had a chair in the cabin on Princess, as opposed to a loveseat or sofa on Royal.  Plus the buffet area has a much better layout on Royal.  

Whichever you choose, the kids will enjoy a Royal cruise. 

20 hours ago, GidgetWidget said:

We have been loyal Princess cruisers for our family holiday cruises.  Princess has made the business decision that children under 12 will not be allowed on this years holiday cruises.  We are looking at Royal Caribbean for an alternative.  Can anyone tell me what holiday activities they do for children (Santa, kids club etc)?  Also, what are the benefits of booking a suite vs a balcony?  TIA

We do not have children but i know they have tons of stuff for children, the bigger the ship the more for them to do , we always book grand suites or above , that gives you a large suite , on oasis class there is also a suite restaurant that you can use for all meals , also you will not need to reserve seats for the Aqua and I’ve shows or anything else other than comedy shows, since suites have a very nice section with reserved seats , also free WiFi on oasis class. 

We've done a great many Christmas cruises on both Princess and RCL ships. We don't have kids, but have always enjoyed these sailings. Both lines made it special for the children, but I'd certainly give RCL top marks.

Nevertheless, we should all be acutely aware ... on-board Christmas activities this year will most likely be scaled back. Safe distancing could be a factor. I would doubt if "Santa" would be willing to tolerate a long line up of unvaccinated kiddles sitting in his lap. 

The cruise lines will adapt and endeavor to do as much as they are able, but none of us can say what that will be. I'm not trying to predict doom and gloom here, just saying that our past Holiday cruise experiences aren't entirely relevant. 

One aspect that won't change, the holiday decorations are always beautiful!