Working Remote on a Cruise (work from home)

jenfew

52 minutes ago, nascarcruiser said:

Also make sure your company would allow it. My company says work from home means work from home.  Not on a cruise, at an all inclusive or even a local camp ground

how do they know? As long as you have sufficient bandwidth to connect. Do they know what your home office looks like?

11 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

how do they know? As long as you have sufficient bandwidth to connect. Do they know what your home office looks like?

If you get hacked on public WiFi and proprietary data is compromised they will know.  We were never allowed to carry digital data 

On 9/12/2021 at 6:11 PM, sanger727 said:

Actually with the zoom meetings they do know what ours look like as they disabled the backgrounds some how.  Also we were sent home with desktop computer not laptops.   And yes we get hacked while on public wifi, we lose our jobs.

I worked a few times during my 2020 world cruise and didn't mind at all. I had a lot of time on my hands, being on a WC, so I could sacrifice watching a movie or going to tea time for a couple of times. 😊 In my case, working freelance paid for a few drinks and things onboard. So, that was an incentive. I only needed a wi-fi connection to recieve files and then send the files  by e-mail after I had edited them. I didn't need to stay connected. The wi-fi, while not great, did the job.

That was,  UNTIL we got to Antarctica, and that was an interesting story. E-mail didn't work at all that far south,  but my SNS some how still worked ok. So I had the company send the file to my friend's e-mail. My friend downloaded the file to his SNS account and sent the file as an attachment to my SNS account in my smartpohone.  I downloaded the file from my smartphone to my PC. I edited the file, saved it and then uploaded it to the smartphone, and then sent it back as an attachment via SNS to my friend's SNS account and he uploaded it to his e-mail and he forwarded it to my company. Being creative and coming up with a tech work-around saved the day.  I met the deadline after all of that. 👍 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1