Is OBC to the person or room?

Guest Snaxmuppet

Guest Snaxmuppet

I wonder if someone can help me out here... we have a 14N cruise booked. It came with $150 OBC per person with the booking but my wife is ex-military so she gets the Military Benefit of $250 OBC. Now, is that then $550 OBC for us to share or is it $150 for me and $400 for her?

I suspect it is for the room but I have searched and can't find a definitive answer anywhere 🙂 

23 minutes ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I wonder if someone can help me out here... we have a 14N cruise booked. It came with $150 OBC per person with the booking but my wife is ex-military so she gets the Military Benefit of $250 OBC. Now, is that then $550 OBC for us to share or is it $150 for me and $400 for her?

I suspect it is for the room but I have searched and can't find a definitive answer anywhere 🙂 

You’re correct…per room when booked under the same reservation.

Each person has an account which shows their OBC per person. However at final payment when in the same cabin both accounts are merged together to create a final balance due. We always use the same chargecard so don’t know the procedure if using different chargecards.

So during the cruise their accounting system doesn’t merge OBC until the final bill when both accounts are merged into one final payment due at the end of the cruise.

In your case the $550 will be used to offset spending that both of you have done at final payment. That’s been my experience on every cruise because both military & shareholder OBC is in my account.

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 2

It all depends:  if she is willing to share it with you.

If you have the cabin connected to one folio (one credit card), then you will see the amount as $550.

If you are listed under different folios, then it would be $150/$400.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, cr8tiv1 said:

It all depends:  if she is willing to share it with you.

If you have the cabin connected to one folio (one credit card), then you will see the amount as $550.

If you are listed under different folios, then it would be $150/$400.

I always share my MOBC & SOBC with my wife. 😉

I found an end of cruise account statement to refresh my memory. ☺️

My wife & I had the same booking number & both of us used my chargecard because my name was listed first in the booking.

• Both of us had separate folio number statements during the cruise which showed our individual credits & debits. OBC: me - $275; my wife - $25
  • The end of cruise shipboard account statement added her folio activity to mine because she was an authorized user.
  • Our net cost/refund was the result of our 2 folios being combined into the final account statement.

Based on all of my past experiences when in the same situation, Snaxmuppet will have $150 in his folio & his wife $400 in her folio until the final bill when their balances are combined. That will either be paid by chargecard if there’s a balance due or a refund (as I recall $25 or less in cash from PSD or if larger refunded by check with a return address from a company hired by Princess).

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Astro Flyer said:

Based on all of my past experiences when in the same situation, Snaxmuppet will have $150 in his folio & his wife $400 in her folio until the final bill when their balances are combined.

That is an important part. We have a 14N cruise booked for February and my husband and I both have around $200 in OBC and I have an additional $250 for stock incentive. I purchased a shore excursion and it was less than the $450 that I had but more than what he had and I had to pay the remainder of his with a credit card.

Assume both of you are linked together on one credit card. At the end of the cruise there will be two accounts plus a summary account which nets all the debits and credits together. Yes, you do have $550 OBC to spend.

Pre-booking tours using OBC. This system works a little different. The system will not recognize the total OBC, $550, and deduct from that amount. It identifies each person separately. If you were to pre-book a $200 tour the system will deduct your $150 OBC and charge your credit card $50. Your wife will get the entire $200 deducted from the OBC. To get around this you have to call Princess and book over the phone. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, mjmalino said:

That is an important part. We have a 14N cruise booked for February and my husband and I both have around $200 in OBC and I have an additional $250 for stock incentive. I purchased a shore excursion and it was less than the $450 that I had but more than what he had and I had to pay the remainder of his with a credit card.

While I’ve never had to do it, I’ve read many posts from people with different amounts of OBC who called to book tours & were able to use the total amount of OBC for payment instead of paying by credit card so it might be worth a call to Princess.

I get military OBC so we request our shareholder OBC from our jointly owned CCL share account in my wife’s name to balance our amounts. Unfortunately it goes to the first name on the booking (mine) & if we plan to book their tours online will call the Shareholder section (800-872-6779 x-30317) who quickly move the SOBC to my wife.

2 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

While I’ve never had to do it, I’ve read many posts from people with different amounts of OBC who called to book tours & were able to use the total amount of OBC for payment instead of paying by credit card so it might be worth a call to Princess.

I get military OBC so we request our shareholder OBC from our jointly owned CCL share account in my wife’s name to balance our amounts. Unfortunately it goes to the first name on the booking (mine) & if we plan to book their tours online will call the Shareholder section (800-872-6779 x-30317) who quickly move the SOBC to my wife.

Good to know! The overage was just a few dollars, so it wasn't a big deal, but I will definitely keep it in mind going forward. Thank you!

• Like 1

On 7/31/2021 at 2:42 PM, Snaxmuppet said:

The military $250.00 is for your wife only. The. $150.00 OBC per per with your booking is just what it says.  Therefore your wife has $400 and you have $150.  That not a problem just have her use it more.

Guest Snaxmuppet
1 hour ago, retrembl said:

The military $250.00 is for your wife only. The. $150.00 OBC per per with your booking is just what it says.  Therefore your wife has $400 and you have $150.  That not a problem just have her use it more.

From what I have seen here that isn't correct.

So now I am confused!

I will be on The Dream in January.  Due to CCL cancelling a trip in 2020 due to 'rona, I get a whopping $300 OBC.  I booked a trip solo.  As I had breakfast with a friend, she asked to join.  Great going solo-wake early or late, walk around the cabin naked (without any laughter or shrieks). Turn in early or party with those late ole cows-solo life is fun.  But traveling with a friend is fun, too.  Back to my question, will my $300 OBC for missing my 2020 birthday cruise (waa, waa, waa) does it remain ALL MINE or will CCL divide it between us both?  My stockholder OBC has never been divided.

Thanks!

Marne, the Cruisin' Fool

2 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

From what I have seen here that isn't correct.

So now I am confused!

Based on my many experiences I know that what I previously posted is true…bottomline is both of you will have $550 in OBC to use towards your final statement.

During the cruise you’ll have $150 in your folio & your wife $400 until the ending balances of both folios will be combined into one final balance.

Don’t be concerned about balancing your spending because that’s not necessary.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, marne001 said:

I will be on The Dream in January.  Due to CCL cancelling a trip in 2020 due to 'rona, I get a whopping $300 OBC.  I booked a trip solo.  As I had breakfast with a friend, she asked to join.  Great going solo-wake early or late, walk around the cabin naked (without any laughter or shrieks). Turn in early or party with those late ole cows-solo life is fun.  But traveling with a friend is fun, too.  Back to my question, will my $300 OBC for missing my 2020 birthday cruise (waa, waa, waa) does it remain ALL MINE or will CCL divide it between us both?  My stockholder OBC has never been divided.

Thanks!

Marne, the Cruisin' Fool

I am not sure how The Dream (Carnival) deals with your OBC.  But if you were on a Princess cruise, that $300 OBC would be yours to spend.  IF....Both of you have your own folios tied to your own credit card.  I cruise "solo" (but with an unrelated someone who shares my cabin).  Our funds have never been co-mingled.  I never had to share my shareholder OBC, my referral credits, nor my loyalty OBC (now a moot point).

• Like 2

Guest Snaxmuppet
5 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

I am not sure how The Dream (Carnival) deals with your OBC.  But if you were on a Princess cruise, that $300 OBC would be yours to spend.  IF....Both of you have your own folios tied to your own credit card.  I cruise "solo" (but with an unrelated someone who shares my cabin).  Our funds have never been co-mingled.  I never had to share my shareholder OBC, my referral credits, nor my loyalty OBC (now a moot point).

I think that is the key... shared credit card. I can see that the two accounts might be kept separate if you are paying separately. We have one credit card and so I assume the account is settled at the end as Astro Flyer says,  using the combined OBC with excess charged to the CC.

Thanks for your help 🙂 

10 hours ago, cr8tiv1 said:

This is correct. When you and your cabin mate have separate unlinked accounts there is no summary statement, thus OBC is not shared. 

10 hours ago, marne001 said:

Thanks!

Marne, the Cruisin' Fool

You will have to ask this question on the Carnival Cruise Line board. Seems like you are saying that Carnival Cruise Line cancelled a cruise and you you are now booked on another Carnival Cruise Line cruise. I would imagine that if you are sailing solo and you and you cabin mate have separate accounts then there will be no summary account, separate credit cards, thus no sharing of OBC.

Carnival Cruise Line and Princess Cruises are separate and operate differently.

13 hours ago, marne001 said:

Thanks!

Marne, the Cruisin' Fool

Although Carnival and Princess are both part of the same corporation, they are separate divisions. I never before heard of OBC from one transferring to another.