Making a dinner reservation on app

jbhermes

So I’ve been checking the app to make dinner reservations and our cruise is still a week out and there are no reservations left for either the Chinese restaurant or the Steakhouse. Sort of disappointing. Is this normal? Or maybe making reservations on the app is still too new to know if this is normal. 

There’s a lengthy thread (Dine My Way) at the top of this board with over 1,200 posts & 48,500 views about problems with DMW so you’re definitely not alone. 😟

There are problems but not many real solutions for advance booking of the main & specialty dining rooms. Is it normal? It is for some but not for others and calling their Ocean Navigators rarely fixes problems & are just passed on to their IT section.

Prior to the DMW option I didn’t have any problems booking specialty restaurants although no one truly knows the situation after DMW…good luck. 🤞

Edited by Astro Flyer

Yeah it’s fine and I’m definitely not complaining because this cruise is going to be amazing no matter what!! I’ll just have to have a good steak when I get back home lol. This is a bucket list trip for us so NOTHING will make me super sad haha! 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, jbhermes said:

Yeah it’s fine and I’m definitely not complaining because this cruise is going to be amazing no matter what!!

Great!!! 👍😊

I just noticed that my response about not having a problem booking specialty restaurants was vague. That’s been my experience on the ship where we usually use OBC to pay for it instead of paying by credit card to make advance reservations.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jbhermes said:

So I’ve been checking the app to make dinner reservations and our cruise is still a week out and there are no reservations left for either the Chinese restaurant or the Steakhouse. Sort of disappointing. Is this normal? Or maybe making reservations on the app is still too new to know if this is normal. 

Could be a glitch, but in the pre-Covid days when booking a Specialty Restaurant was offered in the Cruise Personalizer, I do know the entire restaurant inventory was not available for pre-booking.  I have never had a problem booking space on embarkation day for later in the week.  One time, we went on a spur of the moment idea and we got space.

• Like 1

I was able to make reservations for Crown Grill for a November 2021 cruise back in June; however, I was charged $58 on my credit card.  It should have been complimentary because I booked when there was a promotion for free specialty dining.  Over several calls I finally spoke to someone at Princess that told me there was no way to make the complimentary reservations on line so I must wait until boarding.  

The DMW app has been frustrating for many and you may need to wait until you can sort it out on board.

2 hours ago, Wichard said:

I was able to make reservations for Crown Grill for a November 2021 cruise back in June; however, I was charged $58 on my credit card.  It should have been complimentary because I booked when there was a promotion for free specialty dining.  Over several calls I finally spoke to someone at Princess that told me there was no way to make the complimentary reservations on line so I must wait until boarding.  

The DMW app has been frustrating for many and you may need to wait until you can sort it out on board.

This is an interesting post.  Since you had your experience, others have reported that the DMW feature was recognizing free dining credit with booking.  In fact, I tried it out by selecting a random evening on one of our cruises and did a mock-booking for Crown Grill for wife and I.  On the final confirmation page it showed the cost of $58, less $58 credits and $0 owing. 

I would call again and see if they will refund you.  At the very least, I am sure the Customer Service Desk on board can fix it up so you have $58 extra OBC for anything.

1 hour ago, Steelers36 said:

This is an interesting post.  Since you had your experience, others have reported that the DMW feature was recognizing free dining credit with booking.  In fact, I tried it out by selecting a random evening on one of our cruises and did a mock-booking for Crown Grill for wife and I.  On the final confirmation page it showed the cost of $58, less $58 credits and $0 owing. 

I would call again and see if they will refund you.  At the very least, I am sure the Customer Service Desk on board can fix it up so you have $58 extra OBC for anything.

Your experience is what I expected to happen.  The last person I talked to said the "only" way to get my money back was to cancel the reservation and I would be refunded but I am still waiting for that.

Everyone I spoke to on my many conversations with Princess has been very pleasant but unfortunately no one has been able to solve my problem.  So as you suggest I will probably get this sorted out when on board.

5 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

No, I never said that @Steelers36 

I am unable to make specialty dining reservations.

I can choose a time & place, but an error occurs when confirming the reservation.

My apologies.  I didn't go back to find the post and obviously misremembered.  Interesting place for it to fail.

17 hours ago, Wichard said:

And at that time that was 100% the way it worked.

Since then the app (when it functions) is able to recognize that you should not be charged when you have that promotion.

When you made the reservation in June, did you so it with the app or was it with a PC or via phone call?

11 hours ago, caribill said:

And at that time that was 100% the way it worked.

Since then the app (when it functions) is able to recognize that you should not be charged when you have that promotion.

When you made the reservation in June, did you so it with the app or was it with a PC or via phone call?

Thanks you caribxll I just made my reservations and was not charged the $58.  

Background - In June I spoke to PC ad they made the reservations but my card was charged.  I called again and the charges were reversed.  I received an email in July that the problem was fixed and to make the reservations and my card would not be charged but it was.  When I again called to complain they said to cancel the reservations in the app and the charges would be reversed.  I am still waiting on the refund but now I have reservations for the Crown Grill thanks to you recommendation.

• Like 1