Pre-boarding COVID Test

cruise101

I received an email from X Today re the need for a pre-boarding COVID test from an APPROVED provider.

We are Canadians sailing to the Caribbean next month from FLL.

Any idea how we can find out who the approved test providers in Canada are.

We are flying in the morning of the cruise so will need to have our tests done in Canada at least 48 hours in advance of our flights so that we can have our results ready to show X at boarding time.

Also, if one has not been able to get their tests done, does X provide testing facilities at the terminal when you check in?

Thanks for your  guidance on this.

7 hours ago, cruise101 said:

I received an email from X Today re the need for a pre-boarding COVID test from an APPROVED provider.

We are Canadians sailing to the Caribbean next month from FLL.

Any idea how we can find out who the approved test providers in Canada are.

We are flying in the morning of the cruise so will need to have our tests done in Canada at least 48 hours in advance of our flights so that we can have our results ready to show X at boarding time.

Also, if one has not been able to get their tests done, does X provide testing facilities at the terminal when you check in?

Thanks for your  guidance on this.

In response to your second question…I don’t think you will be able to board the plane if you don’t have the test done. The ArriveCAN app requires all the information. A family  member recently went to the US on business. Needed test done before leaving for airport, had another administered at the airport all prebooked, then required one to come back and had to do another on arrival. All at her own expense. 

@cruise101, as far as I know, all testing facilities in Canada have to be approved by the province/territory within which they operate. Any Life Labs, Shoppers Drug Mart and many other well known names are a safe bet for you, as are testing facilities at airports. As @Cg52 points out, your test must be completed and the results in hand before you can fly out.

8 hours ago, cruise101 said:

Did the email actually say "approved provider"?   Celebrity's web site uses the language "accredited testing provider," which is a little bit different.   While it would be nice if Celebrity would define that language, I have to assume "accredited" providers includes established pharmacies (like CVS in the U.S. and similar places in other countries), urgent care centers, etc.  

https://www.celebritycruises.com/healthy-at-sea/faqs

Yeah…I think they state it has to be from an “accredited” provider, meaning the vaccine was not administered by “Joe’s Vaccine and Bait Shack”.

In all seriousness, the common pharmacies in Canada (as well as the U.S.) can probably help you.

The letter from Celebrity is pretty cut and dry.  Show that to the pharmacy and they should be able to guide you on the vaccine type and when they can administer it.

Thanks for all the speedy responses, your guidance & sharing your experiences. I am sorry “approved” was my incorrect use of X’s language. Yes, accredited is the correct word.

We are both fully vaccinated, so just wanted to make sure we take our pre-boarding tests at the right “accredited” facility.

Thanks agin to all who responded.

16 hours ago, Cg52 said:

In response to your second question…I don’t think you will be able to board the plane if you don’t have the test done. The ArriveCAN app requires all the information. A family  member recently went to the US on business. Needed test done before leaving for airport, had another administered at the airport all prebooked, then required one to come back and had to do another on arrival. All at her own expense. 

WOW. A significant added cost to one’s travel budget. Didn’t realize.   It’d be 4 tests. Thanks for getting us mentally prepared.

1 hour ago, cruise101 said:

WOW. A significant added cost to one’s travel budget. Didn’t realize.   It’d be 4 tests. Thanks for getting us mentally prepared.

I would be inclined to contact CelebrityCruises on social media.

I did this at the end of June, as the language was confusing. In one place it was stated 72 hrs before boarding and in another 72 hrs before sailing.

Hence the attached chart was produced, stating 3 days prior to sailing.

RCG preferred provider is Eurofins and the test is free.

If you don’t have an accessible Eurofins testing site, you can arrange your own test and claim a refund.

Unvaccinated children are tested x3, PCR test before boarding, antigen test at the port and 2 days before disembarkation.

This is for Round Britain cruises on Celebrity Silhouette.

47F9BFD9-42E0-4936-B152-EB251A470574.png

Edited by upwarduk

23 hours ago, Cg52 said:

Are you sure you need to pay for 4 tests?  I thought Celebrity did complimentary tests before you left the ship and that should be good to fly and let you enter Canada.

9 minutes ago, bigbeergut said:

Are you sure you need to pay for 4 tests?  I thought Celebrity did complimentary tests before you left the ship and that should be good to fly and let you enter Canada.

As noted in my response, this was for a business trip. So no cruise involved, so could be different. Always good to have a heads up though. Yes, Celebrity is saying you can get the required test on board, but I’ve been following the posts from a fellow Canadian cruiser who ended up having to cancel his flight home and take a hotel because something  happened and he didn’t get the test or the results. However, once my family member landed in Canada another test was required, they were given a home test that they did with a video nurse.