Carnival cant answer our covid testing questions

12 hours ago, Steelers0854 said:

You all know that no rapid test goes to a lab correct?  All that CVS, Walgreens etc does is use the same test kit and it produces the results in minutes. The emed test is administered by someone on video chat with you. They see the results of the test and record it and send you the results electronically just like getting it done at a pharmacy. All Carnival is going to want to see is that some authority verified your results and that you are not showing up at the port with your at-home test kit showing them it says negative. 

again, everyone has to do their own homework and make their own choices. But this test is CDC approved and FDA authorized and if the federal government accepts it when returning home from a foreign country on an airline I’m pretty sure it’s ok for boarding a cruise ship. In addition John specifically addressed this one and said it’s fine to use. 

I think if you run into an issue it will be around the chain of custody of the sample, since a medical professional did not personally control the sample from test through result.  I would definitely have a Plan B at a CVS for a rapid antigen test.  Result back in an hour or 2.  You will likely be OK…good luck!

Edited by SheSailsFL

1 hour ago, SheSailsFL said:

I think if you run into an issue it will be around the chain of custody of the sample, since a medical professional did not personally control the sample from test through result.  I would definitely have a Plan B at a CVS for a rapid antigen test.  Result back in an hour or 2.  You will likely be OK…good luck!

the tests the cdc accept for international flights are. You take the sample, analyze it, and get results all in front of tech watching you. So, yes, while they aren’t physically touching it, they are fully monitoring that you are following the directions and that that sample came from you and had this result.

On 8/5/2021 at 7:09 PM, Steelers0854 said:

For those needing an antigen test check out https://www.emed.com

We ordered from them 6 total tests for $150.  Self administered at home via video chat.  They provide proof via their app in minutes that you can show as proof of a negative test result.  This is also accepted by several major air carriers as proof if you need to return home to the US from abroad.  We planned on taking them with us next month when we sail on the Pride just in case something happens and we needed to fly home.  Glad we bought them as we now have them for this new requirement.

I received them the day after i bought them, VERY fast shipping times.

One Note: These test are only good through January.  Their site says 12 months from manufacturing date, what they fail to disclose is that they made all the kits in January 2021, so no matter when you order the kit is only good til January 2022.  

When you follow this and other advice and show up with a self administered home test and are not only refused boarding, but also denied a refund, not one of you better complain about it.  You have officially been told and warned.  If you choose to do this, you have no one to blame but yourself for listening to posters on these boards rather than information provided through official sources, and just using a minimal amount of common sense.  Does anyone actually think that accepting self administered tests is in any way a good idea?

• Like 1

Call your personal doctor!  You know, the people you usually call for medical advice.  It is not nearly as complicated as a lot of you are making it.  Yes, it might cost money.  You know, like most things in life.  Why in the world should any entity provide free medical tests so we can go on a cruise?  I cannot believe how entitled a society we have become.

From carnival.com 

Vaccinated Guests 

Vaccinated cruises are available for guests who have received their final dose of an approved COVID-19 vaccine at least 14 days prior to embarkation day and have proof of vaccination. Additionally, effective August 14, 2021, fully vaccinated guests must present the negative results of a COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within three days of their embarkation. 

For example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday through Friday. Guests may also take the test on the morning of embarkation so long as they are guaranteed to receive their test results before their time of check-in. 

States if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday through Friday

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Minkee2 said:

We are scheduled for a 14 day Hawaiian cruise on Nov. 28th.  3 days prior to this is Thanksgiving so everything will be closed.  The following day, Friday, I could do the test, but the following day, the 26th, we will be driving from Arizona to Cali so won't be available to get the results.  We will be staying in Cali on Sat, the 27th and supposed to be sailing the next day.  How do I get my results back when I'm not available in time for sailing??

Someone please give me a hand???

Howdy @Minkee2 emo22.gif

Welcome back to the Cruise Critic message boards and thank you for your new thread on the Need Help Using the Forums? Check Here! forum for technical assistance in using these message boards👍  However, your inquiry is is off-topic there.

To help you out your post has been merged into an existing thread on the Carnival Cruise Lines forum titled Carnival cant answer our covid testing questions. I suggest you use the Follow feature on this thread. That way you will not have to go l👀king to see if there are new posts because they will come l👀king for you as notifications! emo34.gif If you need more info on how to do it, please see How to: Follow Topics & Forums (Subscribed Threads/Forums Info).

And don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! See How To: Submit a Member Review.

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you back aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat   emo32.gif

2 hours ago, SheSailsFL said:

do we know for certain that email results are accepted? My testing appointment is in the morning before my flight. An hour could work, but I am afraid we will already be headed out of town much later (my dog kennel is a farm in the country, and the airport is another hour away)

2 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

Why doesn't Carnival help with the MADNESS, and just offer on site ANTIGEN testing at the port? Isn't that what MSC is doing?

I imagine they are looking at, but how long do you think it takes to test thousands of people, not to mention acquiring the testing materials required, particularly in states already hard hit by covid outbreaks?  Not a good look to divert resources to optional activities.

22 minutes ago, barefootincozumel said:

do we know for certain that email results are accepted? My testing appointment is in the morning before my flight. An hour could work, but I am afraid we will already be headed out of town much later (my dog kennel is a farm in the country, and the airport is another hour away)

Yes they are. 

1 hour ago, topaz123 said:

Why doesn't Carnival help with the MADNESS, and just offer on site ANTIGEN testing at the port? Isn't that what MSC is doing?

They saw what happened when Celebrity tried doing it at the port.  It was a debacle.  People stood outside in the sun in 90’s weather waiting to be tested for over 4 hours.  They don’t have the space to do it for the entire ship at boarding. 

• Thanks 1

I found a local pharmacy that does the PCR test, can that be used in place of the ANTIGEN test? Would that qualify.   Still getting conflicted on the 3 day rule. We sail on Sunday, so let's say I get the test on Thursday.....Thursday to Friday ( 1 day) Friday to Saturday (2), and then Sunday 3. Correct?

26 minutes ago, topaz123 said:

I found a local pharmacy that does the PCR test, can that be used in place of the ANTIGEN test? Would that qualify.   Still getting conflicted on the 3 day rule. We sail on Sunday, so let's say I get the test on Thursday.....Thursday to Friday ( 1 day) Friday to Saturday (2), and then Sunday 3. Correct?

You are correct, but I would talk to the pharmacist at that pharmacy and inquire about how quick the lab they use will get the results back to you.  I am going right to the source and using Quest Diagnostics Lab, they say 24 hours.  Have appointments on 8/26.

10 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

You are correct, but I would talk to the pharmacist at that pharmacy and inquire about how quick the lab they use will get the results back to you.  I am going right to the source and using Quest Diagnostics Lab, they say 24 hours.  Have appointments on 8/26.

Thank you...Looks like the PCR test is going to be too long a wait, finally found a CVS a few miles away that does the RAPID, just getting itchy on the day to have it. ...That 3 day before is tough to navigate, I did see on the OFFICIAL Carnival website they say...For example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday through Friday. Guests may also take the test on the morning of embarkation so long as they are guaranteed to receive their test results before their time of check-in.    So, I am planning on testing Thursday for our Sunday departure. Do you agree on the above in regard to 3 day rule?

14 hours ago, topaz123 said:

Thank you...Looks like the PCR test is going to be too long a wait, finally found a CVS a few miles away that does the RAPID, just getting itchy on the day to have it. ...That 3 day before is tough to navigate, I did see on the OFFICIAL Carnival website they say...For example, if the sailing is on Saturday, the test may be taken any time from Wednesday through Friday. Guests may also take the test on the morning of embarkation so long as they are guaranteed to receive their test results before their time of check-in.    So, I am planning on testing Thursday for our Sunday departure. Do you agree on the above in regard to 3 day rule?

Yes, that's the way to go.  I was going to do the same at a local CVS, but decided to change and go with the PCR via Quest.  There is always the possibility of a false positive with the Rapid test, so I didn't want to take a chance.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:07 AM, melaniesmom said:

Do you have Quest in your area? CVS does not test in our state, and we can only get PCR at Walgreens. I was able to schedule test for next week at a Quest location. It is a PCR test, but they say that results are typically available the next the day. It is no cost to you.

https://patient.questdiagnostics.com/no-cost-covid-test

Hey melaniesmom, if you have time would you please let us know if you get your Quest results the next day. Thanks!

42 minutes ago, snowballs mom said:

Hey melaniesmom, if you have time would you please let us know if you get your Quest results the next day. Thanks!

Will do. We test on Friday morning. We fly on Saturday, but I will try to remember to post about when we get our results. I just saw the post that says that ID Now is acceptable, but I think I am going to stick with Quest.

4 minutes ago, melaniesmom said:

Will do. We test on Friday morning. We fly on Saturday, but I will try to remember to post about when we get our results. I just saw the post that says that ID Now is acceptable, but I think I am going to stick with Quest.

Thanks! I am keeping our September PCR test appointments until something more official comes out.

On 8/6/2021 at 8:36 PM, MrMarc said:

When you follow this and other advice and show up with a self administered home test and are not only refused boarding, but also denied a refund, not one of you better complain about it.  You have officially been told and warned.  If you choose to do this, you have no one to blame but yourself for listening to posters on these boards rather than information provided through official sources, and just using a minimal amount of common sense.  Does anyone actually think that accepting self administered tests is in any way a good idea?

We have masks that are worn in every form made possible.

Testing is I know complicated for some and difficult to do particularly in smaller towns where getting a test dome is not easy and I truly sympahise with you, I really do. And then there is whole menu of tests to choose from. I have had hundreds of questions asking me about different test names and I wish I knew more about each one.
My colleagues are putting together a list of tests that we will accept at embarkation, hopefully this will make it easier for you. Until then let me just remind you of what we need.
If you are fully vaccinated you can have either a Rapid Antigen test, a Antigen Test or a PCR test. And remember, take three days away from the date of sailing and that’s when you can have your test. Do not worry about specific times of check in just the date of sailing, minus three.
As I mentioned, the beards are putting together a more complete list for you and I will share this as soon as I can.

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:
Testing is I know complicated for some and difficult to do particularly in smaller towns where getting a test dome is not easy and I truly sympahise with you, I really do. And then there is whole menu of tests to choose from. I have had hundreds of questions asking me about different test names and I wish I knew more about each one.
My colleagues are putting together a list of tests that we will accept at embarkation, hopefully this will make it easier for you. Until then let me just remind you of what we need.
If you are fully vaccinated you can have either a Rapid Antigen test, a Antigen Test or a PCR test. And remember, take three days away from the date of sailing and that’s when you can have your test. Do not worry about specific times of check in just the date of sailing, minus three.
As I mentioned, the beards are putting together a more complete list for you and I will share this as soon as I can.

Hope they have someone with some expertise  reviewing their list before they publish it, instead of the marketing folks making the determination...

5 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:
My colleagues are putting together a list of tests that we will accept at embarkation....

This one line puts everything into perspective and clears up an issue that was always in the back of my mind.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

This one line puts everything into perspective and clears up an issue that was always in the back of my mind.

Seems to be blase for such a destructive virus. The powers that be seem to be side stepping and stringing us along with the fact that they may not be as on the ball as people would hope.