Belfast Port -> Titanic Museum

EmilyJay

Hi,

We have been given the all clear to book our own excursions on 23rd Aug RCI cruise. We've booked to go to the Titanic Museum in Belfast (£35 for 2 people, compared to RCI's £79.) 

Has anyone made the journey from the port to the museum and what is the best way to get there? We are keen walkers so walking doesn't phase us unless it's dangerous or peeing down with rain. 

TIA. 

I live here in Belfast from where the cruise ships usually dock it would be for a Walker 30-45 mins . Around where you are docked is industrial nothing much to see . Usually there are representatives of tourism (NI) as you disembark that could advise you on the day,If the weather wasn’t good a taxi would be a good option about 10 mins from ship get a price before you leave the ship I wouldn’t  pay any more  than 10 to 15 pounds. Just before you enter the museum have a look at the Nomadic it’s docked about two yards before the Museum it took tendered passengers to the Titanic in I think La Harve.

There is also usually a shuttle bus that runs from the cruise ship to Belfast city centre drop of at City hall .

Remember  we only have two types of weather it’s raining or it’s gonna rain here haha be prepared 

Hope you enjoy your day 

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, Lasvegas9 said:

I live here in Belfast from where the cruise ships usually dock it would be for a Walker 30-45 mins . Around where you are docked is industrial nothing much to see . Usually there are representatives of tourism (NI) as you disembark that could advise you on the day,If the weather wasn’t good a taxi would be a good option about 10 mins from ship get a price before you leave the ship I wouldn’t  pay any more  than 10 to 15 pounds. Just before you enter the museum have a look at the Nomadic it’s docked about two yards before the Museum it took tendered passengers to the Titanic in I think La Harve.

There is also usually a shuttle bus that runs from the cruise ship to Belfast city centre drop of at City hall .

Remember  we only have two types of weather it’s raining or it’s gonna rain here haha be prepared 

Hope you enjoy your day 

Thank you this is some great info. Haha don't worry, we will be prepared for rain or gonna rain kinda weather. 

Thanks so much!! 

• Haha 1

Although you'll probably be able to see the Titanic museum from the cruise ship I wouldn't recommend walking in the port of Belfast. It's an industrial port for container ships, ferries, etc, so it has a lot of heavy goods vehicles moving around it. 

I'd recommend having a look at the website of a local taxi company, Value Cabs. They have an app you can download to order and pay for a taxi. They are a partner of the museum and have a dedicated drop off / pick up point at the museum.

• Like 1

When we last visited Belfast on a cruise, we too thought we would walk to the Titanic museum.  But after pulling up google maps and dropping the “little man” down to see what the walk would be like, we decided to take a taxi (10 pounds).  The walk is 2.8 miles, about 54 min. according to google maps.  From what I could see, it is not a pleasant walk.

IT IS, however, a very nice walk from the Titanic to St. George’s Market in town (mostly along the water, about 25 min, 1.3 mi) where we had lunch.  And after that we walked all the way across town to Crumlin Road Gaol (27 min, 1.3 mi).  There is a dedicated phone at the Gaol to call for a taxi back to the port.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 8/13/2021 at 2:11 PM, Lasvegas9 said:

Can you elaborate? I was there in 2019 and did Giants Causeway on the local bus (which was great) but missed the city. This time I'd like to do Belfast & surrounds

We took a taxi to the Titanic. Afterwards we got a taxi & took a tour of the neighborhoods .Our driver was wonderful . We parked in the driveway of houses and saw the murals. He introduced us to locals who made our trip memorable. He knew the families of the folks featured on the murals.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

We prebooked a taxi from the cruise port to the museum -- it was pouring down and chilly and a local holiday. The museum was packed! There is a designated taxi phone in the museum so it was easy to get our next taxi and go to a lovely pub for a meal. 

Edited by Alaskanb
  • Thanks 1

The Port shuttle in Belfast is typically on local service buses provide free of charge to cruise passengers and takes you to a Belfast City centre location.. It is worth doing this option as it costs nothing and takes you to a location you can later find on your way back to the ship and it is nearer the museum than getting a taxi from the ship.  Taxi from vicinity of shuttle drop off point to Titanic Museum is around £5/£7.  Arriving early at the Titanic Museum by this method means you get there before any cruise line excursions arrive with loads of passengers.  The museum itself has a lot of interactive experiences within which involve queueing up, early on there are very minimal queues so you get round much more efficiently.  When you come out taxis are more scarce to it helps to get a phone number from the one you hailed in the city earlier. Take a taxi back to ship of shuttle drop off point

Regards John

• Thanks 1