Italy: all things food and wine-related

cruisemom42

A couple of nights ago I caught the first episode of a new show on the Food Network featuring Bobby Flay and Giada de Laurentis on a food and wine journey through Italy.  Hot on the heels of the success of the series featuring Stanley Tucci, it begs the question:  has Italy become the epicenter of all the pent-up longing for the food and wine associated with travel that we've experienced during the pandemic?

I've never heard or read more about Italian food than over the last couple of years. From the Italian desire to preserve the character of their prosciutto (ever hear about the great prosciutto scandal of 2017?) to the new organic wines and olive oils, to the secrets of a "certified" Neapolitan pizza -- Italians are obsessed with their food, and so are we.

I thought it would be fun to have a post that compiled information, ideas, recommendations, questions about food and wine in Italy. And due to a couple of recent "requests", maybe we should start with gelato.

I don't profess to be an expert about gelato outside Italy. In fact, my scope is more rightly limited to Rome. I know other cities have their favored gelaterie, but Rome is what I know. So let's start with Rome.

Rome has several well established gelaterie. There you will find very traditional gelato, in seasonal but also mostly traditional flavors:  San Crispino and Giolitti are great examples of these "grandes dames of gelato". As is Gelateria della Palma, but some Romans seem to turn up their nose at the latter -- it's too much like Candyland and less like a true temple to gelato. (Still it is rumored to have been the favorite of at least one recent pope. Wink, wink.)  Anyway, Giolitti and San Crispino both have several branches in the main heart of Rome. Definitely worth a try.

A new generation of gelaterie have popped up in the last decade that offer an even stricter artisanal and seasonal approach to their gelato. A good round-up of most of the best names I've heard mentioned are written up here:   https://www.romewise.com/best-gelato-in-rome.html.    I haven't tried all of these, but I can definitely recommend Gelateria del Teatro for its super-fresh ingredients and especially good fruit and nut flavors of gelato. Plus they have a fun "window" into the kitchen where you can watch them making their magic.  Fatamorgana is also good and has a number of locations, so if you are strolling and see one, definitely pop in to look at their seasonal flavors. Otaleg (which is "gelato" backwards) has a following -- in fact, it was THE place Bobby Flay wanted to go in Rome on arrival, a favorite of his from previous visits. They have some flavors only a chef could love, like gorgonzola with "blonde" chocolate and hazelnuts, and a beetroot sorbet. I believe there's one in Trastevere now.  Come il latte is on my list to try next time I'm in Rome.

How should you eat gelato?  However you want -- but a few tips to consider:

• Gelato is rich, it's better to get just a small cup or cone. Even the smallest cup/cone size entitles you to two scoops of gelato and it is traditional to get two different flavors. Think about all the great combinations -- say dark chocolate and hazelnut or bananas and creme caramel, or strawberry and cream, walnut and fig, peach and ginger, etc.
  • At most gelaterie, you will pay at the cashier first, then you will be served at the counter -- not the other way around as is common in the US.
  • Both cups and cones seem equally popular, but the true gelato afficionado will not ask for any toppings, whipped cream, etc. Beware of any gelateria that tries to upsell you -- it usually means their gelato is not that great on its own.
  • And speaking of which, there are a few unscrupulous places -- mostly sit-down places near popular tourist attractions, like Trevi fountain -- that will scam unwary tourists by recommending hugely oversized "gelato sundaes" with the works. Afterwards they present a hefty bill upwards of 20 euros!  Buyer, beware. Ask price first.
  • And one last tip: At any of the places already mentioned, you'll get great, quality gelato. But if you're just passing by a no-name gelateria and are tempted -- take a look at the colors. If they are screaming neon, too bright to be true, they are probably not the real artisanal gelato. Pistachio should be a dull green, not neon green. The exceptions are some of the intense fruit flavors.
Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

What a fun topic!  Italy to me is the best for food,  sorry France,  but the simple fresh ingredients just make it such a Delight if you avoid the tourist traps.  

Agree about avoiding the bright pistachio, that’s kind of a bellwether of the not so good.  We like Giolittis, but have had really good gelato nearer Campo di Fiori that looks like a tourist trap.  So if in doubt give it a try!  One year I only had Pesca,  and it was amazing how different it could be.   

We have a favourite in Buonconvento that has the best nut gelatos.  DH loves Nocciola and Pistachio.  
image.thumb.jpeg.4096a5d61fb0618e53591517ae5102f6.jpeg

One  time in Venice we wandered into a very industrial looking new type of gelateria that had the best fresh fig,  and we have an old favourite there as well.  

I also must recommend semifreddo, here’s a pistachio one of the right colour.

4936AE0F-08CC-4A7C-B861-A1D869A9C380.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@bennybear  with your photos and my words we could get together a coffee table book on gelato!

Anyone want to weigh in for or against Grom?  I had them only once, on a hot and frustrating afternoon in Florence -- can't remember thinking they were that special but it may have been the circumstances.

Edited by cruisemom42
  • Like 2

Lol!  As if I need any encouragement😂.  You led me astray on the wonderful leather gloves in Rome,  three pair.  

I found a picture of the not bad touristy gelato shop near campo di fiori

image.thumb.jpeg.fe14f0dd59022fffb4e4b37167dd0d45.jpeg

I remember being underwhelmed by Grom,   I don’t like not seeing the gelato, although I understand the rationale.   Good thing we have a very inventive ice cream/ sorbet shop nearby,  Saskatoon berry and hay,   Peach blackberry habanero……  to ease my pain.  

Have you had the liquid lemon sorbetto?  It’s lovely.  

In Florence,  I like Vivoli.  

Edited by bennybear

16 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

maybe we should start with gelato.

Yayyy!  👏👏 🍦🇮🇹♥️

(dropping hints does work people 😉 )

Had the Otaleg, it was great. 

The gelato sundaes sound like a marketing ploy. There is no Italian word for sundae. (It's not Domenica 😂

I've always been very serious about Italian food (aka dinner/lunch, etc) and most of my life I've been surrounded by it and consuming it, but then I lived in/around immigrant Italian neighborhoods in NYC, eating the home cooked food of Neapolitans, Sicilians, and others from regions around the boot: Bari, Calabria, Abbruzzi, Rome, Milan, you get the idea. The special made sweets and dishes at holidays, saint days, feasts (for the saints), home made wine, sauce (gravy), and delicacies most people don't see on menus in restaurants. I can find it in Italy, usually. It's getting harder to find in NYC!

We were lucky in this area, it wasn't too difficult to find decent food in a restaurant or pizza if you knew where to go. And we knew where to go. It still wasn't like the food in Italy, how could it be? Different water, different source ingredients, different appliances, different atmosphere, but still amazing. Outside the boroughs, there are other Italian areas too, you just have to know where to look. Otherwise, Italian food could be... I don't know how it got decided that Italian food qualified as Italian food. But outside the metro area, this Italian food wasn't Italian to me. Now, things have changed.

Have to say it's gotten a bit better lately, the food shows must be making a difference, along with more information about ingredients and products and flavor know that good Italian food should or could taste like. You can still get convenience store microwave pizza if you want it, but then pizza probably just really isn't your jam, is it?

1 hour ago, bennybear said:

avoiding the bright pistachio

Love the photos!! 

Neon food, always a little questionable 🤔 and evidently some members of the Italian government are contemplating legislating the gelato production process. Move over wine and cheese!

I still maintain I had the best gelato in Modena near my friend's house, and I've made sure to eat a lot of it in every place I visited in Italy, and I don't think I've written down all the names of all the gelaterie. Gelato highs will do that... you're walking around, it's warm, the flavors linger... where was I? Was it nocciola? Ambroggia? Both?

Sharing how the ordering process is a great idea because that can seem chaotic at times, especially if the lines are long, it's moving fast, and perhaps one's Italian isn't perfetto. Also important to point out that gelato should be in metal containers, not plastic, don't be distracted by presentation (decorations on top) in the case, but I love the way it's presented on the plate in the photo, that's table service not walk-in counter service. Who cares what it looks like in the fridge case, other than it's clean and full of gelato?

Can't wait to talk about learning Italian wines! 

Any new Italian programs/movies to recommend? In the down time I've been listening to Italian (& French) podcasts, anything I can find, to hone listening skills. I miss it so much. 

Since it's going to take some time before we're back out there, maybe we can travel together. I should probably get some photos and scan in what isn't digital. 

We have to ride out the variant wave and hopefully we'll be waving our passports (PEOPLE RENEW EARLY!! CHECK YOUR DOCUMENTS, ALLOW PLENTY OF TIME!!!) at some scanner thing as life becomes more touchless than ever once this is over. 

Who's next, what's next? 

• Like 2

@bennybear  I've heard Blue Ice is solid, AND they have vegan gelato flavors too. Not all, but some.

Ah, Sermoneta gloves. What an experience!  Quintessential Rome. I hardly need gloves where I live, more's the pity. 

Getting back to gelato and flavors. I have to admit I'm not the most adventurous. I'm a solid chocolate and hazelnut (noci) about half of the time, but I will try other combinations for the other half.

If you are really on the fence about ordering a flavor, you can ask to try it first.  If you want to ask in Italian, you can say:  "Posso assaggiare?"  (pronounced PAW-so Ah-sah-JAR-eh?)

• Like 2

Blue ice looks touristy but tastes good, and it’s close to where we usually stay!    You sound like my DH he always has nocciola!  
Thanks for the Italian way to ask for a taste.   
I will try to stay on topic,  I love and miss Italy so much!   Those gloves are such a happy memory in the winter.  

• Like 1

Anyone have any off the wall favorite gelato flavor combinations to recommend?

As a segue from gelato another favorite topic of mine -- Italian coffee -- let me tell you about a treat called an affogato.  It literally means "drowned" and it is a drink (or dessert, your choice what to call it) that consists of a scoop or two of vanilla gelato with a shot of warm espresso poured over the top. It's ordered at a coffee bar in Italy, not at a gelateria.  Great as a pick-me-up on a hot day of sightseeing!

There are other options for having your coffee chilled in Italy as well. Some are more regional than others. Here's a good introduction to some of these cool and creamy cafe drinks:   https://casamiatours.com/iced-coffee-beverages/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Saw some of  the most inventive flavours in  Trieste, can’t remember specifics but something with black pepper IIRC.   If anyone is in Anchorage they have spruce tips and birch syrup,  love the local twists.  

I would always recommend a dark chocolate with arancia (orange), it’s a great combination. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/15/2021 at 1:18 AM, bennybear said:

I will try to stay on topic,  I love and miss Italy so much!   Those gloves are such a happy memory in the winter.

So happy you are enjoying those gloves. I enjoyed reading that story, it was actually a fun thread, lots of members shared about purchasing some cool things. 

And we've all a little relaxed around here in case you hadn't noticed. 😂  It's been a tough time. 🤗

(so long as no one asks about tipping....)

And Blue Ice as the name of a gelato place? In Italy? If they were giving away gelato I wouldn't go in. Why wouldn't they call it Giacchio d'Azzurro? 🤔 (I've actually never used the word giacchio in Italian)

The pronunciation tips are helpful. I think what can be challenging about learning a language using an app or some other method is that they jump right into conversing which is good, but without learning the letters and phonetics, knowing how to say what one sees can become a challenge, though the Italians will be fairly forgiving if they can make out what someone is trying to say. They do not have an Academie Française policing the language, not that they should, lol. 

Maybe a gelato combination that included Anise would be interesting (it might be called something like finocchio, which would more aptly translate to Fennel) which would probably just take like black licorice for anyone who can stand it, which isn't me. 

The affogato, I could go for one right about now! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 1:21 PM, bennybear said:

If anyone is in Anchorage they have spruce tips and birch syrup,  love the local twists.  

As in... the tip of a spruce tree and syrup from a birch tree? Or is it a trade name for something? And how was it? Not knocking it, just clarifying, I know you're fully legit BB, and also think local specialties are so cool. Just didn't expect to read about this tree delight! 🌲

And I know it's not Italian, but we're here so it was via Italy (a stretch, I know 🙄 don't rat me out) but maybe an Italian citizen will venture to Alaska and think, "maybe for a new gelato flavor" up in the Dolomites or Alps? You never know. OK no, but I'm keeping us on topic. 😁

• Like 1

On 8/17/2021 at 8:11 PM, bennybear said:

Blue Ice

I remember seeing it, and when it comes to blue and anything food, I just cannot. And it's not Italian. Does not compute. 

Well, I'm excited, on a non-Italy Italian food related thing and it might be helpful for visitors because a once otherwise unaccessible, but otherwise BEST pizza places in Brooklyn (and maybe including other boroughs too) is opening up a location in DUMBO Brooklyn, which is only a walk across the Brooklyn Bridge (or, first stop in Brooklyn on the F, A, or Clark Street on the 1 train) and worth it!!!!!!

Spumoni Gardens aka L& B has their original home out where I'm from over in South Brooklyn, not far from Coney Island (or Bensonhurst) and so, not realistic for most visitors. How good is it? Any day or night, there is a queue and wait for the pizza that locals, LOCALS, will wait for. The squares (sicilian but just ask for squares) are what you want to go for, but the neapolitan (regular) slice are also excellent.

Consider trying a grandma square, which is also gaining in mainstream pizza-land (I think they might even be calling it something like this) at Papa Johns or one of those? It's the pizza without mozzarella and is so good. How good? The sauce [may] be the source of an incident that made The New York Times, wherein a dispute over the sauce recipe created a situation not unlike one you'd see in The Godfather, Goodfellas, A Bronx Tale, you get the idea. That was in my neighborhood. It's Brooklyn.

Hopefully they'll have an app where maybe you can order ahead and then walk up to the window and slices (and/or food) will be close to being ready. Grab your food and walk around historic DUMBO, into Brooklyn Bridge Park or back over the Bridge. Your belly will be happy and the views will be spectacular.

I don't know that any pizza actually matches the best NYC pizza, but I don't think I ever expected it to do that. I do know that I rarely expect pizza or Italian food to match what I can get in the right places in/around NYC and select places nearby. It is what it is. 

So where will everyone go when you DO get back to Italy? Town and establishment please? And dish, wine, desert. No details spared. Thanks in advance. 

I just want sciacciata in Tuscany again. Might be nice to have a barolo with it. I don't know why. And gelato, naturally. 🙂 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

As in... the tip of a spruce tree and syrup from a birch tree? Or is it a trade name for something? And how was it? Not knocking it, just clarifying, I know you're fully legit BB, and also think local specialties are so cool. Just didn't expect to read about this tree delight! 🌲

And I know it's not Italian, but we're here so it was via Italy (a stretch, I know 🙄 don't rat me out) but maybe an Italian citizen will venture to Alaska and think, "maybe for a new gelato flavor" up in the Dolomites or Alps? You never know. OK no, but I'm keeping us on topic. 😁

It was actually quite interesting,  think piney,  the birch was better IMO.  And yes perhaps in the 

Dolomites?   Locally we have  a flavour called Saskatoon Toasted  Hay,  I thank the Italians for their inspiration!  

and thanks for the tip on Brooklyn,  love NYC!  

I too am in serious Italy withdrawal,  can have the Brunello,  but even the imported Buffala Mozarella doesn’t taste like it does in Italy.   And DH is missing Cinghiale Pappardelle.   And the gelato!  

Edited by bennybear

Italian foods I'm longing for (not Italian-American....):

• Fried artichokes (carciofi alla giudia)
  • Fresh perfectly dressed arugula salad with parmesan and fresh-squeezed lemon
  • Cornetti filled with orange marmalade
  • Sicilian arancini
  • Crostini di fegatini (crostini with chicken liver pate, a Tuscan treat)
  • Gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce
  • Veal saltimbocca
  • and yes, love the pappardelle with cinghiale ragu!
  • Like 3

Oh yes those cornetti,  l love the apricot filled ones and sfogliatella.   Makes so much sense to bake the jam inside!  

I have never had salads as good as those in Italy,  my favourite is one with lemon and large shrimp.

I miss the amazing fresh pastas and most of all the tartufo that will soon be in season!  
and the salt crusted branzino.  

5285A113-E913-4676-94DE-6579F1ACB30E.jpeg

E84DD5A0-CCB5-4FDA-8E58-932D9F384307.jpeg

• Like 1

21 hours ago, bennybear said:

It was actually quite interesting,  think piney,  the birch was better IMO.  And yes perhaps in the 

Dolomites?   Locally we have  a flavour called Saskatoon Toasted  Hay,  I thank the Italians for their inspiration!  

and thanks for the tip on Brooklyn,  love NYC!  

Ohhh they were separate, the pine and the birch? I had been thinking of it as a combo and wondering what that would be like, the two tree delight. Shows me how aware I am at northern culinary delights, but it's all a learning experience!

And, you're welcome. Happy to hear you love it, I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea (actually we're totally about the coffee, we need it!!) and that's ok. So if you've been here before and seen/done a lot of things, definitely consider the Brooklyn jaunt just over the Brooklyn Bridge.

It's always spectacular, I never, ever, ever get tired of driving over the bridge and I do it often, as I try to look ahead and not sideways (or take photos, but I never said that) and it's super easy to get to DUMBO, or what I call, fancy Brooklyn.

It's also very historic Brooklyn, if you loved the movie Moonstruck, with Cher, (guarda la luna!) that was filmed in the neighborhood on the other side of the Bridge, Brooklyn Heights which is also historic and really beautiful–think gaslights, period houses–so, to your right as you head towards Brooklyn, (DUMBO is to the left) with many cobblestone streets (wear sneakers or soft shoes) and the park. If you were tired after it all, you could always get an Uber or Lyft back over the bridge for not a lot of $. But again, if you comfortable with the subway, the F, A & 1 are all there. So are the citibikes, which you can rent and ride. 

🙂

7 minutes ago, Host Bonjour said:

Ohhh they were separate, the pine and the birch? I had been thinking of it as a combo and wondering what that would be like, the two tree delight. Shows me how aware I am at northern culinary delights, but it's all a learning experience!

And, you're welcome. Happy to hear you love it, I get that it's not everyone's cup of tea (actually we're totally about the coffee, we need it!!) and that's ok. So if you've been here before and seen/done a lot of things, definitely consider the Brooklyn jaunt just over the Brooklyn Bridge.

It's always spectacular, I never, ever, ever get tired of driving over the bridge and I do it often, as I try to look ahead and not sideways (or take photos, but I never said that) and it's super easy to get to DUMBO, or what I call, fancy Brooklyn.

It's also very historic Brooklyn, if you loved the movie Moonstruck, with Cher, (guarda la luna!) that was filmed in the neighborhood on the other side of the Bridge, Brooklyn Heights which is also historic and really beautiful–think gaslights, period houses–so, to your right as you head towards Brooklyn, (DUMBO is to the left) with many cobblestone streets (wear sneakers or soft shoes) and the park. If you were tired after it all, you could always get an Uber or Lyft back over the bridge for not a lot of $. But again, if you comfortable with the subway, the F, A & 1 are all there. So are the citibikes, which you can rent and ride. 

🙂

We took the subway out to Brooklyn last time for a wander and walked back over the Brooklyn Bridge.  It was spectacular!   Our son lived in Williamsburg for awhile, Lucky guy! 

loved little Italy too! 

17 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:
  • Fried artichokes (carciofi alla giudia)
  • Fresh perfectly dressed arugula salad with parmesan and fresh-squeezed lemon
  • Cornetti filled with orange marmalade
  • Sicilian arancini
  • Crostini di fegatini (crostini with chicken liver pate, a Tuscan treat)
  • Gnocchi with gorgonzola sauce
  • Veal saltimbocca
  • and yes, love the pappardelle with cinghiale ragu!

I don't know how to break it to you Cruisemom, but in my Brooklyn and Queens neighborhoods, and even better, the households of friends/boyfriends, this was the Italian/American food. No one was more than what they would self identify as "off the boat" or first/second generation and so this is what we ate.

Restaurants would serve it too. And so many of the families grew their own vegetables, canned their sauce, made their wine, anything you could imagine (homemade limoncello, other liquers) the sweets for any holiday or feast day... baking for days. Bread wasn't easy to bake but there were special bakeries only for that (just bread) and ones for cakes, ones for pastry (Italian and regular), ones for cookies–Italian cookies and regular butter cookies (it mattered). 

You didn't get to eat this ALL the time as it was messy and laborious to make some of this, not to mention expensive, and naturally a lot of the families were working class (though as the story goes, kids, grandkids rise up, did well 😉 ) and but I understand where the concept of what Italian American food comes from. Kind of like chain pizza or frozen, which even I admit has gotten better, but won't ever be the same.

Not to knock any of the mainstream chain restaurants that serve Italian food, I've only been to two because I was out of town for one, and another person was dying for the breadsticks (they are good) but it is just basic Italian red sauce food, and that's perfectly fine! For a large percentage of folks, that is Italian food, it just never was for me, so aside from Italy or my old neighborhoods, I don't partake. I still live in the metro area but not in those neighborhoods and can't find restaurants that cook this way but that's ok. I'm happy to have found a pizza place whose owner used to be in Brooklyn and so I know they know what pizza and fast Italian take out should be. 

I can't cook or I would make those things I wish for. Next best thing will be getting back to Italy 🙂 but at least I can get the wines 😉 and every once in a while, interestingly, someone has some homemade going on somewhere 😂 but you have to be ready to go nowhere once one imbibes that stuff!!🚀

Now I really, really, wish I could get my hands on some fried artichoke pieces, but, I have some Sclafani artichokes in my cupboard and so that might just do. (decent Italian grocery section, thank goodness!)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, bennybear said:

We took the subway out to Brooklyn last time for a wander and walked back over the Brooklyn Bridge.  It was spectacular!   Our son lived in Williamsburg for awhile, Lucky guy! 

loved little Italy too!

Yes, Williamsburg is a wonderful experience, he was lucky! So much fun and wonderful location, the transformation has been amazing!

Ah you did exactly what I was thinking, awesome! It keeps changing and expanding too, just when I think they've done all they could, they keep adding or enhancing. And this area, all of it, Williamsburg too, it's hard to believe it was so run-down and grimy (waterfront property so close to Manhattan!!) but it was.

It's beautiful, peaceful and the view, Brooklyn Bridge Park is 85 acres (so much to do) well, I never tire of it. I guess because it's home, but I just think it's beautiful. Not the way Italy is, or Australia is, or other amazing places, but it's sparkly and awesome, imperfections and all.

Yeah, Little Italy is cool, it's smaller, I stopped there one night on the way home from Brooklyn for a slice that was good (at Manero's, just off Canal St, but before Hester) and a tolerable cannoli at Caffe Napoli, but still fun for visitors (or locals 🤣) to stop off at for the historical perspective and some food.

Ferrara's is still there, but honestly I think Veneiro's is better, over at the corner of 1st ave and 11th street which is on the East side I know, but so worth it. Ferrara's has a captive audience, so that's just where people go. 

And FYI Don Giovanni on W. 44th off 9th Avenue is safe for pizza and ok Italian (keep in mind nothing is brilliant in midtown, as a rule) and I think they have music now. They do coal fired pizza and I didn't even know that (I thought it was wood) been going there for years. Looks like there's one in Chelsea too on W. 23rd st & 10th Ave but I'm almost never in that neighborhood so don't vouch, but could be worth a try.

And buffala is a precious commodity if it's made right, which most don't ever do, it's too time consuming and sheep aren't easy to come by, especially around these parts. I've seen it on menus or at great fresh pasta stores, it's expensive, or else one may see it on the menu at a fancier restaurant and of course, Italy and even then, not every place you sit down at. But what a treat ❤️  

• Like 1

@Host Bonjour  Great stories. My ex FIL grew up in Brooklyn (Jewish neighborhood) but developed an affinity for the Italian culture and food there. Even years later after he and his family had migrated to Westchester, he still drove into the city to his Italian barber and while there would pick up various cheeses and breads at his favorite shops (as well as real NY bagels) to bring back to the 'burbs.

I have a question though -- is the bufala made with sheep's milk in the US?  That wouldn't be proper in Italy -- got to come from the water buffalo. I had thought most of the US varieties were made with cow's milk....

https://www.seriouseats.com/american-italian-buffalo-milk-cheese-yogurt-dairy-products-where-to-buy

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2021 at 10:00 AM, cruisemom42 said:

is the bufala made with sheep's milk in the US? 

Apologies for the late reply, I got hung up with the flu (in spite of all this hand washing and sanitizer!) but a negative covid test so the vax is holding up, thankfully. (<---Does not equal any stance or endorsement on the vax, just my own status is all. 🙂 )

They generally are only made here with cow's milk you're right, of course. I've had on a few rare occasions some bufala made with sheep's milk but it's ridiculously expensive. Some artisans in the US, in California and a few in Wisconsin (small), and then locally there'd be a restaurant or fresh pasta store (usually this) that might do a special around the holidays. Water buffalo, as you said, weren't easy to come by and the cows milk didn't quite taste the same. Some try mixtures, artisans are still working on finding alternatives but it's one of those things that just is what it is: national delicacy. 

I read every New York Times piece that comes out on bufala or mozzarella hoping for progress. You never know. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2021 at 12:17 AM, bennybear said:

Sermoneta,

It's not the same as shopping in the Piazza di Spagna but browsing is always nice: Sermoneta, before you know it, it's time to get on the plane, embark, and then you're in the shop deciding on styles and colors. What's even nicer is usually the items you find in the shop aren't the same as what's available online or even on this side of the ocean (depending on which side one is on) so that continues to make it a special purchase, aside from the sentimental value that instantly attaches with the purchase. 

It may be a food category but these gloves are smooth and wonderful as butter, so they qualify, in a metaphorical way 😉

🙂 

• Like 1