Italy: all things food and wine-related

cruisemom42

On 3/25/2022 at 7:47 PM, slidergirl said:

Where is your friend's favorite pizza/type?  Different regions/cities in Italy have different kinds of pizza.  If your friend likes Chicago or Detroit-style pizza, she is going to be very surprised!!!  My "taste test" pizza is always a Margherita.  Looks so simple, but it can go really wrong - the tomatoes, too much "juice" in the pizza, too much sauce, not fresh mozzarella...it goes on.  Don't look for "pepperoni" - it's not the pepperoni sausage we have in the US, but a type of pepper, kind of like a bell pepper.  Look for cured sausages, prosciutto, cotto (ham) and such if you want meat.  If you hit up Pizzarium, try the zucchini flower or the potato pizza if they have them.  Unique and good!  I also like the tomato, mozz and arugula (aka "rocket") on the pizza.  Get a few slices and everyone try them out!

I haven’t eaten pizza with her yet. We are meeting in April to go to the theater and we’ll eat pizza before while we look at the excursions. I like Chicago style pizza, Margherita and pepperoni so thanks for the information about the pepperoni because I don’t like bell peppers. I ‘ll try to go to the Pizzarium.

On 3/25/2022 at 8:47 PM, slidergirl said:

Look for cured sausages, prosciutto, cotto (ham) and such if you want meat. 

Oh but you left out the pizza with thon. I know I'm using the French spelling because I cannot even bear the thought of that being on pizza and yet... it was on the menu in Verona. 

And in France with a fried egg on top. But then what they do to it in some States. Less said the better 😉

Yes you will see pizza in shapes like a rectangle! Just enjoy the pizza and the experience of being in Italy and having pizza. Things won't be the same but if you wanted the same, you wouldn't be traveling, right? Buon Appetito!

Now with the gelato, you want to be trying a lot of it... 🤩 we have all kinds of feelings about it here with  very few meh stops, and even at that, you're in Italy, having gelato. It's not that bad 🙂

On 3/28/2022 at 5:10 PM, slidergirl said:

I'd love to be able to do Osteria Francescana in Modena, but I can't afford the 320EU PLUS 210EU

I went to an Armani outlet in Modena: 48, Viale Virgilio - 41123 Modena, but it wasn't this one, I feel like the one we went to was some kind of secret? Who knows. But the outside of this one says Armani, not Armani Exchange, so could still be very interesting.

I did have the real Lambrusco, didn't matter that it was upwards from the Riunite (which was drunk in less classy circumstances once upon a time 😂) I still wasn't into it. Senza Frizzante for me. The Barbera was another wine that seemed to be heavy in the rotation in the region and was ok. That's not so easy to get here, as with many other types of Italian wines. 

Nothing could have been better than the mad large hunk of cheese that was available at all times at my friend's house. Sharpest, most incredible, you can imagine - just crumbled in the right ways. 

And honestly, still the best gelato ever in Italy. It was some kind of roadside place and I can't remember the name of it I was drunk on how good it was and I never not write down these things. Not far from the football arena... I have to track it down one of these days. 

Definitely see if you can do the Franceschetta! Or just treat yourself. You got through Covid! 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

I went to an Armani outlet in Modena: 48, Viale Virgilio - 41123 Modena, but it wasn't this one, I feel like the one we went to was some kind of secret? Who knows. But the outside of this one says Armani, not Armani Exchange, so could still be very interesting.

I did have the real Lambrusco, didn't matter that it was upwards from the Riunite (which was drunk in less classy circumstances once upon a time 😂) I still wasn't into it. Senza Frizzante for me. The Barbera was another wine that seemed to be heavy in the rotation in the region and was ok. That's not so easy to get here, as with many other types of Italian wines. 

Nothing could have been better than the mad large hunk of cheese that was available at all times at my friend's house. Sharpest, most incredible, you can imagine - just crumbled in the right ways. 

And honestly, still the best gelato ever in Italy. It was some kind of roadside place and I can't remember the name of it I was drunk on how good it was and I never not write down these things. Not far from the football arena... I have to track it down one of these days. 

Definitely see if you can do the Franceschetta! Or just treat yourself. You got through Covid! 

Well, I didn't really get through COVID - I had the original flavor back in Jan. 2020 and the "O" flavor the other month.   

I've had egg (hard-boiled and sliced and fried) on pizza - I liked it.   Thon (tuna) - no, no, no.   

I like a big, bold Zinfandel, so the Barbera goes OK for me.  

I just can't bring myself to spend that money on one dinner anymore.  I've spent $110 for lunch at Le Bernadin in NYC and $200 for the tasting menu at Jose Andres old place in Los Angeles.   Franceschetta is EU310 for the tasting menu and EU210 for the wine paring.   On the a la carte menu, 1 appy is EU80 and a main is EU110.   It's not open for booking yet for my time.   I've got too many places that I want to eat in for this trip so I may have to pare down.  

34 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

Well, I didn't really get through COVID - I had the original flavor back in Jan. 2020 and the "O" flavor the other month.   

Oh you sure did get through it! Yayyyy! So glad you're well and able to travel. I wonder how many folks had it and didn't know it in the early days? It is what it is. 

I enjoy a nice Zin too, they're not as common in most stores and a bit more expensive, but a nice treat when the opportunity comes around. The Barbera will go down nice 🙂

I can't get my mind around the fried (hadn't seen the hard boiled offering!) egg on a pizza idea, and while I'm generally open to trying anything, especially when traveling, that's not a menu option I'm curious about. The tuna (international tuna, in general) I better understand because it's a fish, and I get how important fish is in Italy. Tuna in Europe, well I guess just not in a can, so amazing. Still don't really want it on a pizza but a salad or I don't know... get creative. But not pizza.

And I hear you about wanting to redirect the funds toward other plans. If the Osteria had a lunch menu, it might be worth that splurge. It's the way I've gone about my (not dozens) 3*** experiences: the dinners are generally out of reach. I did once order from the menu at Aureole in Las Vegas (it's back some years) and the price was not completely ridiculous, though I don't eat a lot or drink bottles of wine? The other great way is O.P.M. (Other people's money 😂 which just isn't always as convenient...)

Look, even Jose Andres has shifted his priorities to feeding the world where and when it needs food the most. It's not always about ultimate dining, is it? 

Find some little trattoria or unsuspecting place in Emilia-Romagna with a nonna cooking (or it's nonna's food) and you'll undoubtedly have an amazing, unforgettable Italian meal, probably new friends too. 

And this was where I experienced the equivalent of friends visiting our supermarkets and going: "there's so much in this place..." which was my reaction when I saw the aisle for balsamic vinegar in the Modena supermarket, which was all down the entire aisle. So much in this place! Cool 😎

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Host Bonjour said:

I did once order from the menu at Aureole in Las Vegas (it's back some years) and the price was not completely ridiculous, though I don't eat a lot or drink bottles of wine? The other great way is O.P.M. (Other people's money 😂 which just isn't always as convenient...)

The only times I EVER enjoyed Vegas were when I went there on business and my boss, who firmly believed in making good use of expense accounts, would arrange lovely meals in top places. Aureole was one of them. OPM is super fab in my book. 💖 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

The only times I EVER enjoyed Vegas were when I went there on business and my boss, who firmly believed in making good use of expense accounts, would arrange lovely meals in top places. Aureole was one of them. OPM is super fab in my book. 💖 😉

I loved those expense report and OPM meals, especially when the boss was paying.  There used to be a big computer networking convention in Vegas that we attended.  A startup company was trying to poach my now-ex and 2 co-workers to join his company.  Took us (hubbys & spouses) out to dinner at some chi chi place in the Bellagio.  The guys ended up going with the startup.  The CEO's Holiday Party at his home in Bel Air was like NOTHING I'd ever seen.  Multiple food stations with fresh foods - sushi with fish flown in that day from Japan, fresh-made noodles for Japanese and Italian foods, steak, you name it, he had it.  

I am starting to come up with places I want to eat.  Osteria Cinghale Bianca in Florence (my friends wanted to take me last time, but it was closed), maybe Sostanza again, but for lunch, in Florence.   Maybe the place you recommended, Cynthia, near the Mercato.  Either of Bottura's restaurants in Modena (I'd have to take the train to/from Bologna since I don't drink & drive).  That's all I have so far.  Usually I do pick one "must eat" spot then wander and find nice little places the other times.  Mercatos for lunch sandwiches, little stands for sandwiches or charcuterie.  

If in Florence on a day trip, people should try to get into Sostanza.  You share tables if need be.  Absolutely amazing Butter Chicken, but this time I want to try the tortino di carciofi (artichoke in eggs). You can only phone for reservations - no website.  

• Like 1

Agree about no thon on pizza, they seem to liked canned tuna🤷‍♀️    We’re of the liking the little local, or nonnas place.  Last trip we had homemade ravioli that nonna made and it was sublime.  We have a few places in the countryside we like and a Sicilian  in Rome. 
although I loved the buffet at the Bellagio complete with waygu, I preferred it in Japan in the small town near where it’s raised,

5F193F7E-06F1-4E27-8617-0EA9D06942EB.jpeg

Edited by bennybear
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, bennybear said:

Agree about no thon on pizza, they seem to liked canned tuna🤷‍♀️    We’re of the liking the little local, or nonnas place.  Last trip we had homemade ravioli that nonna made and it was sublime.  We have a few places in the countryside we likeAnd a Sicilian  in Rome. 
although I loved the buffet at the Bellagio complete with waygu, I preferred it in Japan in the small town near where it’s raised,

309552EF-5A66-48EE-B4A5-D117699E6C0B.jpeg

5F193F7E-06F1-4E27-8617-0EA9D06942EB.jpeg

I'm going to have to pick my carbs carefully over there!  I just worked hard to get my A1C back down to acceptable post-COVID and I don't want to overdo the pastas and breads and make it balloon back up!!!  One of the few times I'll do an antipasti and Secundo instead of an antipasti and a pasta.

• Like 1

I was thoroughly bored at work the last few days, so I've been doing a little research.   Don't ask me where I found this, but I did find a list of existing Wine Windows in Florence.  If anyone wants me to post it, I will.  I printed out a copy. 

• Like 6

Wine Windows in Florence

With COVID came the re-activation of some of the Windows.  Some may function, some may not, but still fun to do a "window crawl":

• Cantina del Gelato:  via de' Bardi 44
  • Osteria delle Belle Donne: via de' Benci 3
  • La Buchetta Food & Wine: via de' Benci 20
  • La Botteghe di Donatello: via dei Federighi 2
  • Trattoria Osteria da Que' Ganzi: via Ghibellina 121
  • Oibo: via Guelfa 82
  • Vivoli Gelateria: Borgo La Croce 59
  • Johnny Bruschetta: via Maffia 18/A
  • Il Latini: via de Palchetti 4
  • Finisterrae: via de' Pepi 8
  • Osteria delle Brache: via Pietrapiana 30
  • Babae: via della Scala 8   ** the one Stanley Tucci visited**
  • Odeon Bistrovia: Taddea 5
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, marazul said:

Well, I've been to 2 of the 3 in Rome.  I'd been to 1 multiple times and I'm waiting for the day when I can go to the second one with more than just me.  (Armando and da Cesare)

If you also search like "Gambero Rosso Florence" you'll get some of the articles, like one where chefs tell their favorites.  Works for other cities, too.  

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I desperately need someone who is going to be in Rome for a night to volunteer to go to dinner at Armanda al Pantheon for me.  As I was eating my buccatini in spicy marinara sauce, I realized this summer will be the first time I've been in Italy and not had a dinner there!!!  Reservations are absolutely needed - this is a small place.  BUT, you won't be disappointed.  

31 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I desperately need someone who is going to be in Rome for a night to volunteer to go to dinner at Armanda al Pantheon for me.  As I was eating my buccatini in spicy marinara sauce, I realized this summer will be the first time I've been in Italy and not had a dinner there!!!  Reservations are absolutely needed - this is a small place.  BUT, you won't be disappointed.  

If all goes to plan, I'll be in Rome in late November/early December, following a stint in Naples. My usual cycle of visiting what's new (archaeologically speaking) in both places.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, slidergirl said:

It's a huge sacrifice, but I volunteer for the task.

I already have my reservation for early June.

You'll owe me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gambero Rosso just named the best gelaterie in Italy for 2022.  Here are the Tre Coni (Three Cones) recipients by region:

LE GELATERIE TRE CONI

PIEMONTE
Canelin - Acqui Terme [Al]
Marco Serra Gelatiere - Carignano [To]
Gelati d'Antan - Torino
Mara dei Boschi - Torino
Casa Marchetti - Torino
Nivà - Torino
Ottimo! Buono non basta - Torino
La Tosca - Torino
Soban - Valenza [Al]

LIGURIA
Cremeria Spinola - Chiavari [Ge]
Profumo - Genova

LOMBARDIA
La Pasqualina - Almenno San Bartolomeo [Bg]
Il Dolce Sogno - Busto Arsizio [Va]
Oasi American Bar - Fara Gerra D'Adda [Bg]
Artico - Milano
Ciacco - Milano
Crema - Milano
Lo Gnomo Gelato - Milano
Paganelli - Milano
Pavé - Gelati & granite - Milano
Terra Gelato
Chantilly - Moglia [Mn]
L'Albero dei Gelati - Monza
Pallini - Seregno [Mb]
VeroLatte - Vigevano [Pv]

VENETO
Gelateria Naturale Scaldaferro - Dolo [Ve]
Golosi di Natura - Gazzo [Pd]
Chocolat - Mestre [Ve]
Gelateria Marisa - San Giorgio delle Pertiche [Pd]
Dassie - Vero Gelato Artigiano - Treviso
Zeno  Gelato e Cioccolato - Verona

FRIULI VENEZIA GIULIA
Timballo - Udine

EMILIA ROMAGNA
Cremeria Santo Stefano - Bologna
Cremeria Scirocco - Bologna
Stefino - Bologna
Bloom - Modena
Ciacco - Parma
Cremeria Capolinea - Reggio Emilia
Sanelli - Salsomaggiore Terme [Pr]
Il Teatro del Gelato - Sant'Agostino [Fe]

TOSCANA
Gelateria della Passera - Firenze
Chiccheria - Grosseto
De’ Coltelli - Pisa
Dondoli - San Gimignano [Si]

MARCHE
Paolo Brunelli - Senigallia [An]

LAZIO
Gretel Factory - Formia [Lt]
Greed Avidi di Gelato - Frascati [Rm]
Fatamorgana - Roma
La Gourmandise - Roma
Otaleg! - Roma
Stefano Ferrara Gelato Lab - Roma
Torcè - Roma

ABRUZZO
Gelaterie Duomo - Il Paradiso del gelato - L'Aquila

CAMPANIA
Di Matteo - Torchiara [Sa]
Cremeria Gabriele - Vico Equense [Na]

PUGLIA
G&Co - Tricase - [Le]

BASILICATA
Emilio - Maratea [Pz]
Officine del gusto - Pignola [Pz]

SICILIA
Cappadonia Gelati - Palermo

SARDEGNA
I Fenu Gelateria e Pasticceria - Cagliari
Dolci Sfizi - Macomer [Nu]

• Like 2

11 hours ago, slidergirl said:

We will be in Armanda in early November. Just waiting for reservations to open up. 

• Like 1

Happy to see some folks going to Armando al Pantheon!!  

Always listen to the daily specials!  

Save room for dessert. I really like the torta antica - ricotta with a raspberry filling.   

I was seriously considering taking the train from Florence to Rome a daytrip just so I could go there again!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, marazul said:

Gambero Rosso just named the best gelaterie in Italy for 2022.  Here are the Tre Coni (Three Cones) recipients by region:

LE GELATERIE TRE CONI

PIEMONTE
Canelin - Acqui Terme [Al]
Marco Serra Gelatiere - Carignano [To]
Gelati d'Antan - Torino
Mara dei Boschi - Torino
Casa Marchetti - Torino
Nivà - Torino
Ottimo! Buono non basta - Torino
La Tosca - Torino
Soban - Valenza [Al]

LIGURIA
Cremeria Spinola - Chiavari [Ge]
Profumo - Genova

LOMBARDIA
La Pasqualina - Almenno San Bartolomeo [Bg]
Il Dolce Sogno - Busto Arsizio [Va]
Oasi American Bar - Fara Gerra D'Adda [Bg]
Artico - Milano
Ciacco - Milano
Crema - Milano
Lo Gnomo Gelato - Milano
Paganelli - Milano
Pavé - Gelati & granite - Milano
Terra Gelato
Chantilly - Moglia [Mn]
L'Albero dei Gelati - Monza
Pallini - Seregno [Mb]
VeroLatte - Vigevano [Pv]

VENETO
Gelateria Naturale Scaldaferro - Dolo [Ve]
Golosi di Natura - Gazzo [Pd]
Chocolat - Mestre [Ve]
Gelateria Marisa - San Giorgio delle Pertiche [Pd]
Dassie - Vero Gelato Artigiano - Treviso
Zeno  Gelato e Cioccolato - Verona

FRIULI VENEZIA GIULIA
Timballo - Udine

EMILIA ROMAGNA
Cremeria Santo Stefano - Bologna
Cremeria Scirocco - Bologna
Stefino - Bologna
Bloom - Modena
Ciacco - Parma
Cremeria Capolinea - Reggio Emilia
Sanelli - Salsomaggiore Terme [Pr]
Il Teatro del Gelato - Sant'Agostino [Fe]

TOSCANA
Gelateria della Passera - Firenze
Chiccheria - Grosseto
De’ Coltelli - Pisa
Dondoli - San Gimignano [Si]

MARCHE
Paolo Brunelli - Senigallia [An]

LAZIO
Gretel Factory - Formia [Lt]
Greed Avidi di Gelato - Frascati [Rm]
Fatamorgana - Roma
La Gourmandise - Roma
Otaleg! - Roma
Stefano Ferrara Gelato Lab - Roma
Torcè - Roma

ABRUZZO
Gelaterie Duomo - Il Paradiso del gelato - L'Aquila

CAMPANIA
Di Matteo - Torchiara [Sa]
Cremeria Gabriele - Vico Equense [Na]

PUGLIA
G&Co - Tricase - [Le]

BASILICATA
Emilio - Maratea [Pz]
Officine del gusto - Pignola [Pz]

SICILIA
Cappadonia Gelati - Palermo

SARDEGNA
I Fenu Gelateria e Pasticceria - Cagliari
Dolci Sfizi - Macomer [Nu]

Thankyou!  

What will you be eating when you are watching Stanley in Piedmont on Sunday?   I went for the sweets this time.  Torrone (that heavenly Italian nougat) and Giandujotto (the creamy hazelnut/chocolate candy) are on the menu, from my local Italian store.  Have to hit the state store for a bottle of Piedmont Red.   

• Like 1

Everyone on this thread is so well traveled and knowledgeable about food and wine. All I know is how to eat and drink what is put in front of me, lol. So I’d appreciate any and all recommendations for lunch and dinner options in around the port area since we are coming in the day before the cruise. Naples is our first port but I think we are taking an excursion that stops either in Sorrento or Positino. Any suggestions for lunch at either of those towns? I love all Italian food. Living in NY I thought I had access to good pizza, that is until I went to Italy years ago and had the real thing 

• Like 2