Free at Sea package question

Twolittleboys

I am thinking of booking one of the 10 day Greece cruises on the Getaway in September. I am unsure though what would be the best choice for me as far as the included benefits are concerned. Not really interested in the internet package and definitely will take the included drinks. However, I am torn between the specialty restaurants or the $50 off excursions. I would use the restaurants but could do without if necessary or I believe they sell packages at a reasonable price. The cruise has seven ports. Normally I prefer going on my own but I will be travelling solo this time so not sure I am quite as keen on it and I am also a bit concerned if individual excursions will even be allowed. I believe they are at the moment but I guess that could change in which case $50 off times 7 (I definitely would like to get off the ship at each port) would probably a better deal than the dining package. Am I missing something? I will be booking from Germany if that makes any difference.

55 minutes ago, Twolittleboys said:

I am thinking of booking one of the 10 day Greece cruises on the Getaway in September. I am unsure though what would be the best choice for me as far as the included benefits are concerned. Not really interested in the internet package and definitely will take the included drinks. However, I am torn between the specialty restaurants or the $50 off excursions. I would use the restaurants but could do without if necessary or I believe they sell packages at a reasonable price. The cruise has seven ports. Normally I prefer going on my own but I will be travelling solo this time so not sure I am quite as keen on it and I am also a bit concerned if individual excursions will even be allowed. I believe they are at the moment but I guess that could change in which case $50 off times 7 (I definitely would like to get off the ship at each port) would probably a better deal than the dining package. Am I missing something? I will be booking from Germany if that makes any difference.

Since it sounds like you're from Germany, I'm guessing your Free at Sea package is different than we have in the USA.  In the USA, we don't have to choose between the Specialty Restaurants and Shore Excursions since both are offered in the promotion.  I assume that is not the case where you are?

If not, then I would ask how many meals are included in your package?  In the USA, we get 3 meals for a 10-day cruise.  To me, if I had to pick between 3 specialty meals or $50 excursion credit for 7 ports, then I would definitely pick the shore excursions perk.  You could still buy a restaurant package or perhaps just visit one or two at your own expense.  Unless you get something like 5 or more restaurant meals, I would favor the shore excursions.

1 hour ago, shof515 said:

dinning package is better overall. look at the some of the menus that is posted here and a decent dinner will always be over 50 dollars

Yes, but a) I definitely want to go off the ship in the ports but could do without specialty dining (though it would be nice to have, b) I believe it is only three meals for the trip but potentially seven excursions, and c) I could buy a package with three specialty meals for $99 so the maximum value of the promotion would be $ 99, no matter what the menu cost is (unless I am misunderstanding something)

15 minutes ago, MeHeartCruising said:

Since it sounds like you're from Germany, I'm guessing your Free at Sea package is different than we have in the USA.  In the USA, we don't have to choose between the Specialty Restaurants and Shore Excursions since both are offered in the promotion.  I assume that is not the case where you are?

If not, then I would ask how many meals are included in your package?  In the USA, we get 3 meals for a 10-day cruise.  To me, if I had to pick between 3 specialty meals or $50 excursion credit for 7 ports, then I would definitely pick the shore excursions perk.  You could still buy a restaurant package or perhaps just visit one or two at your own expense.  Unless you get something like 5 or more restaurant meals, I would favor the shore excursions.

That's what I am thinking. They did offer all inclusions but I missed out on that because I waited too long and right now it is pick two.

Pretty sure it is also 3 meals so clearly the excursions would be better if I booked at least three (or even two as I would save $100 and could get the dinner package for $99). I guess I am wondering whether a) there is something I am overlooking/misunderstanding and b) I am not sure how many excursions I want to book. I am usually quite happy to just walk off the ship and do my own thing (and NCL's excursions seem REALLY expensive) but I guess there is a chance excursions will be required (who knows what's next).

Specialty Dining is a gimmick. It is a way to get you to pay [a lot] more for marginally better food and marginally better service. We have sailed for decades eating all of our meals in the main dining rooms of many ships from many lines. And the main dining room food is perfectly good and included in your cruise fare. But all of the cruise lines know that with a little marketing, the contemporary cruiser is ready to spend top dollar in a specialty restaurant. 

Last month, we were on a 7-night cruise and took all meals in the MDR. Last week we took a 7-night cruise and had most meals in Specialty Dining establishments. 

On NCL, we definitely take the Free at Sea specialty dining and enjoy a meal for the cost of the grats on the package. And we get two free meals based on our NCL tier status. Last week, the average "retail"/a la carte price for our meals was about $65 per person per meal for multiple appetizers, an entrée, and an dessert. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

Specialty Dining is a gimmick. It is a way to get you to pay [a lot] more for marginally better food and marginally better service. We have sailed for decades eating all of our meals in the main dining rooms of many ships from many lines. And the main dining room food is perfectly good and included in your cruise fare. But all of the cruise lines know that with a little marketing, the contemporary cruiser is ready to spend top dollar in a specialty restaurant. 

Last month, we were on a 7-night cruise and took all meals in the MDR. Last week we took a 7-night cruise and had most meals in Specialty Dining establishments. 

On NCL, we definitely take the Free at Sea specialty dining and enjoy a meal for the cost of the grats on the package. And we get two free meals based on our NCL tier status. Last week, the average "retail"/a la carte price for our meals was about $65 per person per meal for multiple appetizers, an entrée, and an dessert. 

Yes, definitely. I have been on a number of RCI cruises and never, ever eaten anywhere for a fee. We did eat at several for cost restaurants on Aida but that was mostly because they only have buffets otherwise. There are a couple of specialty restaurants on Norwegian (never been) that sound good and I know I would use the three "free" visits with the promotion (but maybe wouldn't need to buy any extra meals if I chose the other option). The excursion credit on the other hand is more difficult to judge. If I knew that they will only allow ship excursions it would be a no-brainer as I would save $300+. But if you can get off without a tour (think that is how it is with NCL right now) I wouldn't need/want a tour in most of the ports.

2 hours ago, Twolittleboys said:

I will be on the September 13 cruise.  We are using NCL's beach transfers at 2 of the ports, but generally we prefer to find smaller group excursions that are not offered through NCL.  We have small group excursions booked for all the other ports using private tour operators.  Maybe see if anyone on your roll call has a group you could join?  As far as being solo, I think you'd be fine on any of the Greek ports.  When we visited Dubrovnik, the dock was a taxi ride away from the old town.  Once there, you could easily tour the area on your own or with a guide.  Hope my two cents helps!

3 minutes ago, OurAnniversary25 said:

I will be on the September 13 cruise.  We are using NCL's beach transfers at 2 of the ports, but generally we prefer to find smaller group excursions that are not offered through NCL.  We have small group excursions booked for all the other ports using private tour operators.  Maybe see if anyone on your roll call has a group you could join?  As far as being solo, I think you'd be fine on any of the Greek ports.  When we visited Dubrovnik, the dock was a taxi ride away from the old town.  Once there, you could easily tour the area on your own or with a guide.  Hope my two cents helps!

Thanks, it is helpful. I am not really worried about touring solo (and have been to Dubrovnik and Corfu on prior trips). It is more that normally I try to avoid the group tours partly due to cost and that isn't as much of a consideration for one person as it would be for three. Also, I am somehow a bit more worried about missing the boat (not sure why). Anyway, if  no tours are required to leave the ship I would probably/maybe book tours in Livorno/Naples/Olympia but not in Dubrovnik/Mykonos/Santorini/Corfu unless maybe a beach transfer.

3 minutes ago, dpepper64 said:

We are on the Sept 13 cruise as well.  Look forward to the trip.  We booked almost 500 days ago.  Now only 30 to go.  Are going in the a day or 2 before?

Still debating whether to book this cruise or two others (on MSC and RCI respectively) I am considering. But I would definitely fly in a day ahead.

5It will be great.  I have been doing some checking and what I have come with is about 60% full.  We are going in a day early staying in port near terminal at a BandB.   Coming back to Rome and spend a couple of days there before returning back to Virginia.

I think it really just comes down to doing the math. If you have a lot of ports and intend to use NCL’s excursions, then the excursion discount is easily the better perk. While I like the onboard specialty dining, we normally do more than the two that were included on our seven day sailing. So for us, it wasn’t that much of a savings as the specialty dining rates go down with the more nights that you purchase. 

We are also probably the minority that turned down the open bar perk. We rarely drink alcohol and I’d rather eat than drink my calories. As a result, we’re saving the $20+ per day we’d be spending on the gratuities for the package. 

personally i would take the  dining package. while i have been previously blasted for knocking the $50 excursion credit, while its better than a stick in the eye, depending on the total costs of a particular excursion, it would probably make little difference, while a meal for 2 at a specialty dining venue without the package could run anywhere between $75-$100 dollars,.

11 hours ago, shof515 said:

dinning package is better overall. look at the some of the menus that is posted here and a decent dinner will always be over 50 dollars

Look at the price of Maderno and Tepyenoke ( i can't spell it) they are flat rate restaraunts and it may actually be cheaper go go their not on a package.

@Twolittleboys 

a couple suggestions:

- check with NCL when you have to choose..

I read somewhere that in the US you can change your FAS option up to some number of days before sailing.. I wanna say 60 but too lazy to research.

- check NCL site to see if the ship excursions are interesting or worthwhile.

On my current planing I find the excursions overpriced ($119-149 for 3-4 hours, mostly in a bus with an hour or less on your own). There’s 2 of us so the $50 doesn’t make a dent and I’m probably not using that $50 in most ports but joining with 4-6 other cruisers or DIY. 

- meanwhile join the roll call on Cruise Critic and see whether anyone else is setting up excursions you might be interested in, calculate which cruise excursions you will buy and see how that $50 works out.

decisions, decision 🙂 I feel like a 1st world Prima Donna but am great evil to be able to cruise!

1 hour ago, grovesteve said:

Look at the price of Maderno and Tepyenoke ( i can't spell it) they are flat rate restaraunts and it may actually be cheaper go go their not on a package.

moderno & teppanyaki, restaurants. just trying to be helpful. still with the flat rate, package is better because dinner for 2 will be more than the $50 excursion credit

12 hours ago, Twolittleboys said:

Yes, but a) I definitely want to go off the ship in the ports but could do without specialty dining (though it would be nice to have, b) I believe it is only three meals for the trip but potentially seven excursions, and c) I could buy a package with three specialty meals for $99 so the maximum value of the promotion would be $ 99, no matter what the menu cost is (unless I am misunderstanding something)

The other thing to keep in mind is that independent shorex are frequently cheaper than the NCL sold ones.  So that $50 savings can sometime actually end up being more expensive than if you'd just booked a shore excursion separately.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

it is indeed a gimmick, however it is a brilliant gimmick... for a decidedly unexpected reason. most people are perfectly happy with their "free" dining packages, so NCL picks up only a bit of revenue here and there. but they are able to market a popular giveaway. but the real value of specialty dining for NCL is that it draws diners away from the main dining rooms. plain and simple, it's a way to manage dining load capacity. if they didn't have specialty dining, on any given night, there'd be 25% - 35% more guests clamoring for seats in the MDRs. 

i truly believe THAT is the real reason specialty dining was invented.

ive only ever sailed with norwegian, (the past 11 years) but dont most cruise lines offer specialty restaurants for an extra fee.  we love cagney's and teppanyaki, so we would normally eat there at least one night of the cruise, so as far as im concerned, its not a gimmick, its an added bonus. the 2 extra dinners for platinum plus is an even bigger bonus. while i dont mind the mdr's, i prefer the specialty ones.

1 hour ago, UKstages said:

it is indeed a gimmick, however it is a brilliant gimmick... for a decidedly unexpected reason. most people are perfectly happy with their "free" dining packages, so NCL picks up only a bit of revenue here and there. but they are able to market a popular giveaway. but the real value of specialty dining for NCL is that it draws diners away from the main dining rooms. plain and simple, it's a way to manage dining load capacity. if they didn't have specialty dining, on any given night, there'd be 25% - 35% more guests clamoring for seats in the MDRs. 

i truly believe THAT is the real reason specialty dining was invented.

I mean, I guess?

Conversely though, they'd still have the same amount of kitchen space, so in a world where specialty dining didn't exist, I'd assume that those restaurants would be combined into additional MDRs or buffets, no?

5 hours ago, complawyer said:

moderno & teppanyaki, restaurants. just trying to be helpful. still with the flat rate, package is better because dinner for 2 will be more than the $50 excursion credit

Good point, but I am cruising solo so the numbers stack up a bit differently. Also, if I was to go to specialty dining at all, I would buy a package if I didn't get the free one. Cost is I think around $120 for three meals so that would be my top value out of the free promotion for the restaurants.

4 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

The other thing to keep in mind is that independent shorex are frequently cheaper than the NCL sold ones.  So that $50 savings can sometime actually end up being more expensive than if you'd just booked a shore excursion separately.

Indeed! I did look at the offered shore excursions and do find them quite expensive (and not necessarily thrilling). At least based on the descriptions (obviously have not taken any Norwegian ones) I have seen much better ones offered. I guess my main concern is the COVID situation - right now NCL allows individual shore excursions. Hard to predict though if that will last. If not, I would be "forced" to go on their tours (unless I wanted to stay on ship which I don't). In that case, the shore excursion credit would be the much better deal for me (value of around $350). But if the individual excursions continue, the situation would be different.

20 hours ago, Named-Tawny said:

Conversely though, they'd still have the same amount of kitchen space, so in a world where specialty dining didn't exist, I'd assume that those restaurants would be combined into additional MDRs or buffets, no?

not sure i follow... there most likely would not be a dining room where the specialty restaurants are... there would be some other amenity or service or shop. the ships would be built differently.

back in the day, and i'm talking thirty or forty and fifty years ago... there only were the main dining rooms... the ships were smaller, of course, but people lined up on the first day of the cruise to get their seating times, much like they do now for specialty dining and show reservations. there were generally two seatings (an "early" and a "late") and you ate in the same dining room 3X a day, with the same wait staff and the same dining companions at tables of 8, 10 or 12. and then you went to the "midnight buffet" in some other function room or public space.  there were no general purpose buffet restaurants.

there is no efficient scale for MDRs at which you could accommodate 4000 guests for three meals a day. so specialty dining had to be invented to siphon off enough diners so as to make the MDRs manageable. revenue generation (from specialty dining) is secondary.

that's my story and i'm sticking to it.

• Haha 1

On 8/16/2021 at 2:16 AM, Twolittleboys said:

Indeed! I did look at the offered shore excursions and do find them quite expensive (and not necessarily thrilling). At least based on the descriptions (obviously have not taken any Norwegian ones) I have seen much better ones offered. I guess my main concern is the COVID situation - right now NCL allows individual shore excursions. Hard to predict though if that will last. If not, I would be "forced" to go on their tours (unless I wanted to stay on ship which I don't). In that case, the shore excursion credit would be the much better deal for me (value of around $350). But if the individual excursions continue, the situation would be different.

I agree NCL excursions are usually ridiculously over-priced, even compared to other lines’.

I think that is because they raise the price for the excursions to compensate for the $50 per cabin FAS excursion credit. We have a trip coming up with Italian ports, planned small group (~6 peeps) transport from Livorno to Florence was under $100 pp from local operator. NCL excursion is between 120-200 depending on time and whether you got a HOHO ticket or not. That is for cramming people on a bus, say 50 pax. The small groups makes great sense, both for value and comfort, as well as reduced exposure to possible viral loads. I’m kinda meandering 

2 points to this -

— they announced this week you Have to take an NCL excursion to go ashore (same policy as MSC’s last summer, but from experience MSC has excursions prices significantly cheaper!).

— so if we want to use our “free” $50, we have to pay full price for an overpriced excursion for one of us and will end up paying 250-350 to sit crammed on a bus with 50 people, driving quickly by historic sites and only able to see those on 1 side of the bus, instead of spending $150-180 to ride in a comfy van with 4 people and a local person to talk to with better opportunity to see the sites on both sides of the vehicle.

It is like my solar system.. I got an estimate for a solar install a year before the federal govt offered a 30% tax credit, started saving my coins. The tax credit took effect and I thought .. aha I can get my system now for less. Alas the solar contractors raised their prices by around 30% because ... well... they could, and why should the customer pocket that money when the contractor could have it?

Analogy to NCL ...offer a 50 credit (which is already built into the cabin price) then raise the excursion price and NCL reaps extra money from the 2nd un discounted ticket.

5 hours ago, ColdCruise said:

I agree NCL excursions are usually ridiculously over-priced, even compared to other lines’.

I think that is because they raise the price for the excursions to compensate for the $50 per cabin FAS excursion credit. We have a trip coming up with Italian ports, planned small group (~6 peeps) transport from Livorno to Florence was under $100 pp from local operator. NCL excursion is between 120-200 depending on time and whether you got a HOHO ticket or not. That is for cramming people on a bus, say 50 pax. The small groups makes great sense, both for value and comfort, as well as reduced exposure to possible viral loads. I’m kinda meandering 

2 points to this -

— they announced this week you Have to take an NCL excursion to go ashore (same policy as MSC’s last summer, but from experience MSC has excursions prices significantly cheaper!).

— so if we want to use our “free” $50, we have to pay full price for an overpriced excursion for one of us and will end up paying 250-350 to sit crammed on a bus with 50 people, driving quickly by historic sites and only able to see those on 1 side of the bus, instead of spending $150-180 to ride in a comfy van with 4 people and a local person to talk to with better opportunity to see the sites on both sides of the vehicle.

It is like my solar system.. I got an estimate for a solar install a year before the federal govt offered a 30% tax credit, started saving my coins. The tax credit took effect and I thought .. aha I can get my system now for less. Alas the solar contractors raised their prices by around 30% because ... well... they could, and why should the customer pocket that money when the contractor could have it?

Analogy to NCL ...offer a 50 credit (which is already built into the cabin price) then raise the excursion price and NCL reaps extra money from the 2nd un discounted ticket.

Oh, I agree but it is what it is. This is actually exactly what I was afraid of - ending up having to do ship excursions. In some cases ship excursions are a good alternative but often you can do the same/better much cheaper. But if I decide to go on NCL at this point I will have to deal with - maybe - taking ship excursions if I want to get off in a port (I do) and unfortunately they are overpriced so if I don't have the excursion promo I will overpay. So it seems to me chosing this promo is best in my case (I can live without specialty dining OR can get it for a fixed price I know upfront). 

I am more concerned as I have heard that many NCL excursions for the cruise I am considering are sold out. I am okay with somewhat pricey (after taking off the $50 credit) ship tours but not if I only have one or two possible tours to choose from. I really don't want to take one of those main sights bus drive by tours (especially as I have been to most of the Italian ports before). So many decisions!

Maybe MSC would be the better choice here. Haven't been to the ports before and excursions seem to be much cheaper.