Waitlist ?

seaver

We are booked on the 3rd and 4th legs of a 75 day cruise on the Dawn departing  Jan. 3rd in a suite gty.

However when you check Suites & Fares on Jan 3rd only 3 veranda suites categories are available and the rest

of the ship is wait listed. How is that possible? And does that mean we get a upgrade to a veranda?

1 hour ago, seaver said:

We are booked on the 3rd and 4th legs of a 75 day cruise on the Dawn departing  Jan. 3rd in a suite gty.

However when you check Suites & Fares on Jan 3rd only 3 veranda suites categories are available and the rest

of the ship is wait listed. How is that possible? And does that mean we get a upgrade to a veranda?

Presumably your guaranteed booking is for a certain category.  I assume from your message that it is a Vista guarantee.  It is possible that space will open up among the Vista suites and you will be housed there. But it is also possible that you will be upgraded to a Veranda suite. Veranda suites are of course the majority of suites on the ships.  I do not think it is unusual for other categories to be sold out/waitlisted while Veranda suites are available.

• Like 1

Silversea, like most lines offering long cruises with multiple segments, will hold back a number of cabins for those passengers wanting to book the full whatever number of days.  If they sell off too many of the segments then that opportunity becomes unworkable.   As for an upgrade it is probably highly unlikely you’ll get upgraded to one of the big suites but you could very well get a “better” veranda suite in terms of deck or location on the ship.   I’ve never done a percentage analysis but my gut impression is that the vast majority of cabins on Silversea are veranda suites.  They are with a few exceptions all exactly the same layout on a specific ship.  It really comes down to being either farther forward, in the middle, or aft and the deck level.  While the cabins are the same some are perceived and marketed as “better” and thus more expensive.  Personally we like to be as close to the pool deck as possible so lower is not typically our choice and we have been willing to pay a little extra for a location that meets that desire.  

• Like 1

Hi Randy🙂 you would love the cabin I got then LOL.....I booked a gty for my upcoming cruise to Alaska and they put me up on 9. It is a Panorama (window). I am good with it.  It is next door to one of the BIG owner's suites.......the pool is really close by but won't be using it this cruise😉  I have never been on a deck high up so the entire experience will be new for me.  That wasn't right....I have been up on high deck back in my Celebrity days......but not with SS.

5 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Randy🙂 you would love the cabin I got then LOL.....I booked a gty for my upcoming cruise to Alaska and they put me up on 9. It is a Panorama (window). I am good with it.  It is next door to one of the BIG owner's suites.......the pool is really close by but won't be using it this cruise😉  I have never been on a deck high up so the entire experience will be new for me.  That wasn't right....I have been up on high deck back in my Celebrity days......but not with SS.

I think the lowest we’ve ever been on Silversea is Deck 7 on the Wind and all of our Spirit cabins have been Deck 9 or higher.   On Celebrity and Holland America we pretty much stuck to at or one deck below the pool deck.  As an aside we also always try to book port side cabins.  Why?  On our 10-day honeymoon cruise 23 years ago I booked a port side cabin.  Next cruise we went with a starboard side cabin and Mrs K was always confused.  Went back to port side and all is good.   😬😀👍

13 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Congrats! I would be happy if I got a Panorama, with only 6 Vista suites and 3 of them are wheelchair

accessible,hopefully I will get upgraded.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

We would not take a Panorama.  Mrs K feels like she has to have access to the outside from the cabin.  She’s not a big elevator fan so my professional clinical diagnosis is minor claustrophobia.   Again it doesn’t help that her first cruise was in a large veranda suite on Holland America.....my bad...but it set the expectation.   🙂

15 minutes ago, Randyk47 said:

We would not take a Panorama.  Mrs K feels like she has to have access to the outside from the cabin.  She’s not a big elevator fan so my professional clinical diagnosis is minor claustrophobia.   Again it doesn’t help that her first cruise was in a large veranda suite on Holland America.....my bad...but it set the expectation.   🙂

I don't usually take one either but in this case? I will be fine with it🙂.....I understand that once folks book a balcony they never go back to anything else. I just know for me I wouldn't be using the balcony much on this sailing (Alaska) and am really looking forward to just being on the ship😃

11 minutes ago, Lois R said:

I understand that once folks book a balcony they never go back to anything else.

Like Abraham Lincoln said, don’t believe everything you read on the internet, Lois.  As JP, RachelG, Rojann, and Drron can attest, you’ll find us in Vistas during cold weather voyages, even though we much enjoy Verandas on warm weather voyages.

7 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Like Abraham Lincoln said, don’t believe everything you read on the internet, Lois.  As JP, RachelG, Rojann, and Drron can attest, you’ll find us in Vistas during cold weather voyages, even though we much enjoy Verandas on warm weather voyages.

I appreciate your post. Thanks🙂

14 minutes ago, Stumblefoot said:

Totally agree! Why pay the extra $$$ when you'll only use the veranda to step out for a minute to check the weather? Another plus - in rough weather the most stable decks are the lowest ones ... and that's where you'll find the Vistas.

35 minutes ago, bigmjh said:

Totally agree! Why pay the extra $$$ when you'll only use the veranda to step out for a minute to check the weather? Another plus - in rough weather the most stable decks are the lowest ones ... and that's where you'll find the Vistas.

Agree with your logic which we have applied with total satisfaction for 24 years in a centre of ship vista suite.Our verandah has always been the swimming pool area which we enjoy to the full.No intention of changing this policy for the rest of our SS cruising days.We appreciate that our preference would not suit everyone which is a good reason for travelling SS which provides such a wide choice of luxury cruising for all passengers.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brimary said:

Agree with your logic which we have applied with total satisfaction for 24 years in a centre of ship vista suite.Our verandah has always been the swimming pool area which we enjoy to the full.No intention of changing this policy for the rest of our SS cruising days.We appreciate that our preference would not suit everyone which is a good reason for travelling SS which provides such a wide choice of luxury cruising for all passengers.

Well said. We had a veranda booked for the 3rd leg and changed to Vista to justify adding the 4 leg. So basically we went from 21 days in a veranda to 37 days in a Vista.

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

I don't usually take one either but in this case? I will be fine with it🙂.....I understand that once folks book a balcony they never go back to anything else. I just know for me I wouldn't be using the balcony much on this sailing (Alaska) and am really looking forward to just being on the ship😃

Actually we used are balcony a lot on a Alaska cruise.  The views are so much better than a window, it’s a bit cold but you don’t go out to sun—but in and out mall then time for the view and then sounds.

7 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Actually we used are balcony a lot on a Alaska cruise.  The views are so much better than a window, it’s a bit cold but you don’t go out to sun—but in and out mall then time for the view and then sounds.

I will be fine without the balcony.  That is why I made the comment glad the ship offers cabins for all of us. Balcony, window, whatever is best for you.   Oh, I never said the view would not be better sitting outside........I will just go outside😃...the Panorama lounge is just down the other end and there are seats outside and the pool deck is one deck up.....I will hop up there.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, seaver said:

I'm surprised it's not already been allocated. We are booked on your first leg and similarly opted for a Vista GTY. I noticed at least 5 months ago, we'd been given a 5th deck balcony. Obviously always a gamble and to be fair, I wouldn't have been too miffed if we got the room we paid for....... My bigger concern is my doubts there is any chance its going to sail. I'm majorly looking forward to my 16 days - and very green at your 75! That hopefully WILL be awesome.

1 hour ago, les37b said:

I'm surprised it's not already been allocated. We are booked on your first leg and similarly opted for a Vista GTY. I noticed at least 5 months ago, we'd been given a 5th deck balcony. Obviously always a gamble and to be fair, I wouldn't have been too miffed if we got the room we paid for....... My bigger concern is my doubts there is any chance its going to sail. I'm majorly looking forward to my 16 days - and very green at your 75! That hopefully WILL be awesome.

I check every day and nothing so far. Don't be to green, we are doing only the 3rd and 4th legs for a total of 37 days.

Just now, seaver said:

I check every day and nothing so far. Don't be to green, we are doing only the 3rd and 4th legs for a total of 37 days.

Ah... I missed that bit... Just saw 75 days! lol.... But 37 is better than 16, though I'm usually terrified how many pounds I'd end up putting on. I think for that length I'd seriously need the gym every day or/and laps of the ship.

Are your flights showing? I was more than happy with our allocation, though guess that can change! 140 days to go for mine now.

9 minutes ago, les37b said:

Ah... I missed that bit... Just saw 75 days! lol.... But 37 is better than 16, though I'm usually terrified how many pounds I'd end up putting on. I think for that length I'd seriously need the gym every day or/and laps of the ship.

Are your flights showing? I was more than happy with our allocation, though guess that can change! 140 days to go for mine now.

Flights are not included for our legs ( got a credit ). I have not booked yet.