Free cabin upgrades on low capacity cruises?

Lou33

9 hours ago, Lou33 said:

I've received free upgrades to first class a few times.

Yes, the cruise lines would rather that passengers pay to upgrade, but that doesn't always happen.  Especially when the ship is at very low capacity.  We have been cruising for a long time, and I remember that 10+ years ago, it wasn't uncommon to receive unexpected and unsolicited upgrades.  Even if you booked a specific cabin number. Here on cruise critic that was known as the "upgrade fairy" coming to visit.  

Times have changed, and so has the willingness for cruise lines to give free upgrades.  But times have changed again where ships are sailing at 50% capacity and lucky to be sailing at all.  If it was my cruise ship and I didn't get passengers to guarantee their upgrade by paying for it, then yes I would give some passengers a free upgrade.  If they are in an inside cabin, and an outside or a balcony is sitting vacant, then there would be no loss.

There is also the question of people who booked a category guarantee.  If they booked an inside guarantee and there are plenty of outside and balcony cabins available, you would think that there would be plenty of upgrades for them.  

I'm just wondering if there are more upgrades happening now because of this unprecedented situation.  

But WHICH “some passengers” would you give an upgrade? 

4 hours ago, Jasukkie said:

Gone are the days. Royal Up is smart business. People think they are winning something, which is the right to pay more money. Does it get better than that for a company? 

I've done it and "won" without regrets. The program appears to be highly successful but it put a stake in the heart of the upgrade fairy, poor dear.

I tried Royal Up & Celebrity Move Up this month.

I have found that your Min Bid is based on your current cabin category/price. Example: you have an Inside bid for Balcony, Min Bid price is higher than a person with an Ocean view Min Bid price for Balcony.

I even seen where it was cheaper to buy the Balcony at current price than trying to Min Bid up to Balcony.

So, not all deals are in your favor. 

Yes, I know this is not always true.

Stay Safe & Happy Cruising!

• Like 1

When the Allure sailed for Spain March 2020, we were advised that there were 2000 pax that had chosen to cancel. That meant a huge inventory of empty cabins. If you wanted an upgrade, the word was out that all you had to do was go to Guest Services and ask. I'm sure the upgrades weren't free, but it was a common sight for several days to spot loaded luggage carts being pushed through the corridors. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Oxo said:

I tried Royal Up & Celebrity Move Up this month.

I have found that your Min Bid is based on your current cabin category/price. Example: you have an Inside bid for Balcony, Min Bid price is higher than a person with an Ocean view Min Bid price for Balcony.

I even seen where it was cheaper to buy the Balcony at current price than trying to Min Bid up to Balcony.

So, not all deals are in your favor. 

Yes, I know this is not always true.

Stay Safe & Happy Cruising!

I have been looking at Royal UP since it was first mentioned 2 months ago...I have talked to multiple agents, we always book through RCI, at no time was it feasible to upgrade whether just transferring to a different cabin in the same category or moving up that was as cheap as Royal Up.  It is vastly cheaper.  Right this minute in fact, I inquired about another cabin I was looking at the Spacious Ocean View, it would cost approx. $1000+ to switch our reg. ocean view.  The Royal Up Spacious Ocean View deal minimun is $200 a couple! which we've been hearing many people say they were accepted at minimum.  No way no how is it cheaper to book right now on any ship.  I check these prices daily and have been checking Royal Up daily as well to see if it goes down on our cruise...no joy.

Here is a current example of Celebrity Move Up posted by someone else. 

Move Up is open, but it looks like we’re staying put in our SV.  Min bids:

Vila $4000 pp

RS $3000 pp

CS $2000 pp

SS $1000 pp

Aqua $400 pp

Concierge $150 pp

My personal MU was over $1,000 for Concierge compare to the quote I got from my TA which was less than $800.

1 hour ago, lovesthebeach2 said:

But WHICH “some passengers” would you give an upgrade? 

In years past, it was not uncommon to receive unexpected free upgrades.  This was discussed many times on CruiseCritic, and it appeared that there was no rhyme or reason.  That's why we called it the upgrade fairy.  People speculated that priority was given to people who paid the most for their current category.  Or possibly their status on Crown and Anchor.  But many people got them on their very first cruise, and there was speculation that the cruise line did this to hook them to get future cruises.  

I would give upgrades to passengers who I thought deserved them the most for any of the above reasons.  If nobody else paid for an upgrade through Royal Up, then there is no point in leaving those upgrades vacant.  Especially considering the current situation.  

7 hours ago, rjrpar said:

Why don’t you just purchase the cabin type that you want.  So many people want free “stuff”

6 hours ago, grandgeezer said:

Upgrade fairy is not the same as begging at the pier or once on the ship.

If you are referring to my OP.  I never said that I wasn't happy with the cabin that I booked.  And nobody is begging for free stuff.  I just asked a question.

With the current situation, It seems to make sense for the cruise lines to bring the upgrade fairy out of retirement, at least temporarily, to do a goodwill gesture for loyal customers.  It wouldn't impact their bottom line.  I was just wondering if that was happening....

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Lou33 said:

It seems to make sense for the cruise lines to bring the upgrade fairy out of retirement, at least temporarily, to do a goodwill gesture for loyal customers.

I think the best one could hope for, and it seems to be happening somewhat, is getting min bid Royal Ups.

Yes, as I said, those days are probably gone, but it's worth a try for us, if not for others so be it.

The situation I mentioned on Liberty is not the only time I've been moved either.  Once we did a family reunion cruise and my son's wife wasn't happy with her interior stern cabin and she asked for a more central cabin due to motion sickness...not only did she get it, it was a balcony too.  And nobody begged for it either.  She never mentioned an upgrade at all.  So RCCL does go out of their way to accomodate, if you're nice about it!.