Carnival Coffee included brand

travelplus

I think both.  Difference is the quantity used.  Small batches for paid, which is also expresso roast and finer grind.  Large bags for the Lido, and contrary to what some think the MDR, which is coarser grind and more medium roast.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, crewsweeper said:

I think both.  Difference is the quantity used.  Small batches for paid, which is also expresso roast and finer grind.  Large bags for the Lido, and contrary to what some think the MDR, which is coarser grind and more medium roast.

I've never heard of that brand, so I looked it up. It's listed in one spot as "Italy's favorite espresso". Perhaps this is a nod to the Italian captains and officers on the ship?

12 minutes ago, ScottsSweetie said:

I've never heard of that brand, so I looked it up. It's listed in one spot as "Italy's favorite espresso". Perhaps this is a nod to the Italian captains and officers on the ship?

Local Publix sells it.  Several blends.  Remember what Italians call coffee, we call expresso.  And they drink it in small cups not 36 oz jumbo mugs. Plus they use milk in it. And sugar.  Lots of sugar.

• Like 2

based on the taste I'm guessing "Musgrave Pencil Co's finest shavings." I'm not a coffee snob but I find the stuff progressively more undrinkable as the week goes on. We don't do Cheers so for the past few years we've been brining Starbucks VIA instant coffee packets - they come to as low a 50 cents a cup depending on where you buy them, take up little room in a suitcase, and they don't taste at all like other instant coffees. 

• Like 4

What I found strange is that I could walk out of the buffet to Blue Iguana cantina and the coffee machine coffee out there was DELICIOUS.  One morning I did a side by side taste test and the difference was significant.  It has to be how the server is making the coffee.  Maybe the guys at BI don't follow Carnival's buffet coffee "protocols".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, newpherchris said:

based on the taste I'm guessing "Musgrave Pencil Co's finest shavings." I'm not a coffee snob but I find the stuff progressively more undrinkable as the week goes on. We don't do Cheers so for the past few years we've been brining Starbucks VIA instant coffee packets - they come to as low a 50 cents a cup depending on where you buy them, take up little room in a suitcase, and they don't taste at all like other instant coffees. 

Same here, though on recent sailings I've also brought a French Press, get a carafe of hot water and make a fabulous brew on my balcony 🙂

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Fivehole said:

Same here, though on recent sailings I've also brought a French Press, get a carafe of hot water and make a fabulous brew on my balcony 🙂

While French press and own favorite grind make great coffee, cleanup and ground disposal on board can be a bit of a hassle.

Sngle drip filter over cup can produce a good morning cuppa and disposal/cleanup is quick.

• Like 1

Little Euro trick

Many Euros enjoy Nescafe' instant coffee. Now before you gag and hack, instant coffee isn't what it once was and is very popular in other parts of the world.

If the buffet coffee is too bad, I use the instant that they always offer. Far better.

Don't scoff. It's not bad. I do it overseas a lot because American coffee isn't available or cafe Americano just doesn't cut it

Edited by EngIceDave
  • Like 2

On 8/18/2021 at 3:23 PM, asalligo said:

It is rough coffee in the buffet. Mix it with Hot Chocolate until drinkable. 

You are being kind using the word "rough"....almost undrinkable....STROOOOOOONG....NEED to add 1/2 water....yuck

• Like 1

On 8/18/2021 at 3:37 PM, crewsweeper said:

Local Publix sells it.  Several blends.  Remember what Italians call coffee, we call expresso.  And they drink it in small cups not 36 oz jumbo mugs. Plus they use milk in it. And sugar.  Lots of sugar.

I always add Anisette or Sambuca to my Italian Espresso coffee. Always great  when feasting on deserts at the holiday table. YUM!

Edited by coffeebean
  • Haha 1

On 8/19/2021 at 10:28 AM, EngIceDave said:

Little Euro trick

Many Euros enjoy Nescafe' instant coffee. Now before you gag and hack, instant coffee isn't what it once was and is very popular in other parts of the world.

If the buffet coffee is too bad, I use the instant that they always offer. Far better.

Don't scoff. It's not bad. I do it overseas a lot because American coffee isn't available or cafe Americano just doesn't cut it

i discovered instant Nescafe while traveling in the Philippines and was surprised by how good it was! i tried it back in the U.S. and it wasn't the same - that's why i go with the Starbucks VIA instant. 

On 8/18/2021 at 4:55 PM, newpherchris said:

😂 Too funny. Yep, the coffee is no Dunkin' but hey, I have to have my coffee and will add extra cream or whatever I have to do to make it drinkable.  Sometimes I will get the pay coffee, sometimes I don't have the patience to wait in the line that is usually there.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, newpherchris said:

i discovered instant Nescafe while traveling in the Philippines and was surprised by how good it was! i tried it back in the U.S. and it wasn't the same - that's why i go with the Starbucks VIA instant. 

I have found the euro type on several cruise lines.

I agree that the buffet coffee is barely drinkable.  I bring cappuccino powder & my own cream pods- add a tsp of instant cappuccino powder, some 1/2 &1/2, + my fav creamer & it is good enough.  In MDR I just add so much of their cream to the point of getting "looks from fellow dining mates.

• Haha 1