RCCL ~ Antigen Test onsite??? I wonder......

Hey All.....since everyone now must be vaccinated in order to sail I wonder if they'll set up the Rapid Antigen Test at the ports?  Would really help those that have the fear of test results with the PCR returning back in time.  Also for those that don't have a site that offers the Rapid Antigen Test,  the port would be a help.  Although if they do that, I guess the line would be insane.  IDK  ~ any thoughts on this?

At least in Miami, rumor is there's a contract problem for RCI to do this.

I am in Colorado, so Covid testing is free, readily available, and provides rapid results:  covidcheckcolorado.org

Florida, however, is running out of testing availability (timeslots, free rapid response times, and tests themselves), so it would be best if cruisers could find rapid testing before they get on a plane.  This kindness would spread the load from Florida's overtaxed Healthcare system.  I say this only after looking where testing is available in Florida for my mom this past week... and it is not a good situation:  https://floridahealthcovid19.gov/testing-sites/

• Like 4

This has been discussed on many many threads.    Highly unlikely this will happen.    first off do you want to travel, fly, long car drive, etc. to a port to possibly find out you test positive and cannot board?       Then what, you cannot fly to get back home and have to quarantine in a hotel?

IMO, If you live in a such a remote area that you do not have a place that offers rapid antigen testing I am sure you could do a PCR test and get results back in sufficient time (less people, less testing = better turn time for test results). 

I agree that something is going to have to change. Too many people ( not just travelers) are needing daily testing right now and there is just not enough manpower and availability in many areas, or the tester calls in and they have to cancel that days test clinic. I don't profess to have the answers, I just know that there is going to have to be something put into play or less and less people will book cruises knowing they risk not being able to board because of a delayed test result that is not fault of theirs . Just my opinion .

Just now, The sea calls my name said:

I agree that something is going to have to change. Too many people ( not just travelers) are needing daily testing right now and there is just not enough manpower and availability in many areas, or the tester calls in and they have to cancel that days test clinic. I don't profess to have the answers, I just know that there is going to have to be something put into play or less and less people will book cruises knowing they risk not being able to board because of a delayed test result that is not fault of theirs . Just my opinion .

5 minutes ago, Sunshine3601 said:

This has been discussed on many many threads.    Highly unlikely this will happen.    first off do you want to travel, fly, long car drive, etc. to a port to possibly find out you test positive and cannot board?       Then what, you cannot fly to get back home and have to quarantine in a hotel?

IMO, If you live in a such a remote area that you do not have a place that offers rapid antigen testing I am sure you could do a PCR test and get results back in sufficient time (less people, less testing = better turn time for test results). 

The issue this week were  test that had been scheduled for up to 10 days were being canceled the morning of the test which was making it difficult or impossible to reschedule a test in time. Here in Florida it is difficult to always find a location for a rapid antigen test right now. We personally had to drive 60 miles to get a rapid antigen test at CVS.  I read of one travel group that got the PCR and were told after getting it that due to high volume expect up to a 7 day reporting time. Lots of moving parts. I agree with your assessment regarding the air travel etc. As I posted I don't have answers, just concerns.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The sea calls my name said:

The issue this week were  test that had been scheduled for up to 10 days were being canceled the morning of the test which was making it difficult or impossible to reschedule a test in time. Here in Florida it is difficult to always find a location for a rapid antigen test right now. We personally had to drive 60 miles to get a rapid antigen test at CVS.  I read of one travel group that got the PCR and were told after getting it that due to high volume expect up to a 7 day reporting time. Lots of moving parts. I agree with your assessment regarding the air travel etc. As I posted I don't have answers, just concerns.

Lobby your city and county commissions. Amazingly, both of ours listened and we have two new testing sites set up.   The county site had nearly 800 people the first day. Both offer rapid and PCR tests.

• Like 3

At this time, the Miami Convention Center is doing rapid testing.  The convention center is 5.6 miles from the port. Center is open 7 days a week, with limited hours on Thursdays.   I have read that cruisers from the Ovation used this center without issue (results back in one hour).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So people are standing in line with other sick people in some areas, especially in Florida to get tested.  That seems risky too!  Then they get on a cruise ship 2-3 days later?  There has got to be a better way?