ON BOARD DISEMBARKATION COVID TESTING

cjpj

Can some one confirm for me. If I need a covid pcr to travel home, can this be done on the ship pre-disembarkation? I recall reading somewhere Princess would do this free of charge. Would be great if someone currently on board could ask the medical center. Willing to pay if necessary. I just don't want to have to stay in a hotel for a couple of days while I wait for testing.  Thanks for any assistance.

Edited by cjpj
Correction

• cjpj changed the title to ON BOARD DISEMBARKATION COVID TESTING
21 minutes ago, dog said:

I read that Princess will provide testing for those with international flights. It is on their website 

Now to find it on their website!

I stand corrected, below is from their web site:

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country and subject to availability, Princess will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered onboard the ship within the timeframe required prior to travel and prior to the end of the voyage. Guests will receive a copy of the test results. Guests are encouraged to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites to understand the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

Edited by LACruiser88
mispelling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Yes, if a negative COVID-19 test is required for re-entry into your home country and subject to availability, Princess will cover the costs of a COVID-19 test administered onboard the ship within the timeframe required prior to travel and prior to the end of the voyage. Guests will receive a copy of the test results. Guests are encouraged to review their home country’s health authority and travel websites to understand the latest guidance on required testing and timing for return travel.

Thanks, I cannot get things to copy/ paste. 

• Like 1

I was curious about this for our Transatlantic in Nov. We will be on the ship for 14 days after leaving UK. We need a 3 day test to get home at the end of the voyage so Princess will have to test us all. A complication maybe that we will have been in Caribbean ports within that 3 day time frame!

We were on the first wave of cruises in June and were tested on the day prior to disembarkation  so that we could all fly home from St.Marteen.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

As it says, "subject to availability."

A month ago when I checked in with Princess in regards to PCR test required to return home, the “subject to availability” verbiage was not there; I have a screenshot at home. 

In my opinion Princess needs to ensure all who need a PCR will be able to get them onboard or allow people to make reservations in advance.  

We are cruising in November and will require a PCR test within 72 hours of our flight home (to Canada), IF for some reason Princess doesn’t have testing availability this will directly impact us returning home. Currently we would be flying home the same day we disembark and these flights were chosen by confirming with Princess that we would be able to get the PCR onboard within the time window…. IF we are unable to get the test onboard we would have to change our flights to the following day and arrange a hotel for the night.  
I have looked and almost everywhere that does PCR in Fort Lauderdale will take up to 24 hours for results unless we pay a lot of money for same day, nonetheless makes our current flight home not possible. 

Now that the “subject to availability” verbiage has been added, I will reach out to Princess for further guidance. 

52 minutes ago, flyboy88 said:

A month ago when I checked in with Princess in regards to PCR test required to return home, the “subject to availability” verbiage was not there; I have a screenshot at home. 

In my opinion Princess needs to ensure all who need a PCR will be able to get them onboard or allow people to make reservations in advance.  

We are cruising in November and will require a PCR test within 72 hours of our flight home (to Canada), IF for some reason Princess doesn’t have testing availability this will directly impact us returning home. Currently we would be flying home the same day we disembark and these flights were chosen by confirming with Princess that we would be able to get the PCR onboard within the time window…. IF we are unable to get the test onboard we would have to change our flights to the following day and arrange a hotel for the night.  
I have looked and almost everywhere that does PCR in Fort Lauderdale will take up to 24 hours for results unless we pay a lot of money for same day, nonetheless makes our current flight home not possible. 

Now that the “subject to availability” verbiage has been added, I will reach out to Princess for further guidance. 

@flyboy88I'm  in the same situation. I did find a place you could get one in 4 hours for 500.00 at FLL. There are few Canadians on the ship, so we should be okay.  Most on the ship will be Americans who don't need testing to fly domestic. Not keen on spending any more time in Florida than I have to. Contingency plan would be to stay a day or two and pay for testing.  Need to be prepared to pay for various options... hotels, test, changing flights, etc.

Edited by cjpj
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, cjpj said:

"I have determined that it is in the interests of the United States to take action to restrict and suspend the entry into the United States, as immigrants or nonimmigrants, of noncitizens of the United States (“noncitizens”) who were physically present within the Schengen Area, the United Kingdom (excluding overseas territories outside of Europe), the Republic of Ireland, the Federative Republic of Brazil, and the Republic of South Africa during the 14-day period preceding their entry or attempted entry into the United States."

Last I checked, Canada was not part of any of these areas. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cjpj said:

We are flying. Currently restrictions are in place for land borders, however people can fly to/from the US.   When flying into the US, currently we are required to show a negative covid test (PCR or antigen) that was taken within 72 hours prior to arrival.  

At the moment my plan is to get tested at Toronto airport prior to my flight to the US (day before the cruise) via antigen test for approx $40. Results are emailed within 30 minutes.  Since this will be 24 hours prior to the cruise, I can use the same test results to satisfy the pre-cruise covid test requirement. 

5 minutes ago, flyboy88 said:

We are flying. Currently restrictions are in place for land borders, however people can fly to/from the US.   When flying into the US, currently we are required to show a negative covid test (PCR or antigen) that was taken within 72 hours prior to arrival.  

At the moment my plan is to get tested at Toronto airport prior to my flight to the US (day before the cruise) via antigen test for approx $40. Results are emailed within 30 minutes.  Since this will be 24 hours prior to the cruise, I can use the same test results to satisfy the pre-cruise covid test requirement. 

I think it is $60 at the airport.  Some have reported $40 at Shoppers Drug mart for the rapid antigen test.

• Like 3

On 8/21/2021 at 7:11 AM, LACruiser88 said:

My understanding is that Princess does not provide testing for disembarking.  They will provide onboard testing for back to back cruisers.

My PVP at Princess has confirmed that as of this past week, Princess will no longer require B2B passengers to get tested between sailings.  This could change back again but, I also see it has been removed from their website's FAQs.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

My PVP at Princess has confirmed that as of this past week, Princess will no longer require B2B passengers to get tested between sailings.  This could change back again but, I also see it has been removed from their website's FAQs.  

Not a wise move IMO. Passengers have been off the ship in ports and should be tested just like those embarking are required to  

• Like 1

@flyboy88 and @Cruise Raider okay... my situation is different. My cruise is a transatlantic in Nov. My concern is getting home from the US. Canadians can fly to the US but they cannot drive or arrive by boat; not real clear on ship. And for our cruise we have slightly different rules. For example we are tested at the port prior to departure to satisfy UK rules. They had said they would test us on return if needed, but can't find it in print any more. And anyone flying back to Canada will need a test to fly home.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dog said:

Not a wise move IMO. Passengers have been off the ship in ports and should be tested just like those embarking are required to  

I think they may have just been canceled for B2Bs that are shorter in length (B2Bs that are under 10 days total).  I should have explained that.  It's really not more of a risk than people that are on a longer cruise that have been off in the ports. 

To clarify---Unless things have changed recently( which is highly likely!!!)  When we board in UK

( Princess will test us on the pier for free)if we are on the ship for more than 14 days then the rule about Europe will not be valid. Everyone has to have been tested up to three days prior to ARRIVAL in US even those of us who live here, irrigardless of type of entry. It has nothing specifically to do with airplane trips.. So the Canadians have to have a test before stepping off the ship plus whatever their country's rules are.

P.S.   Do not rely on 24 hour PCR test results. Mine took 2 days in June. The result came back minuites before we left on our trip. I was up all night watching the computer for the results

To add to the confusion the CDC has put out a new rule that ships that have been in International waters must sit idle for 14 days before taking on passengers again. This seems totally crazy!! All the current rules are set to expire on Oct 31st but with the new surge in cases of Covid who knows??????

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rhblake said:

Take a look at Don's rant about Carnival. Princess is part of the same corporate group. Just be forewarned.

Odd. At 5:20 he states Princess is testing. Now I'm confused. At least he stated US will accept antigen test to fly home from a cruise ending in Fort Lauderdale 

Edited by Ombud

On 8/21/2021 at 11:00 AM, LACruiser88 said:

1 minute ago, Ombud said:

Odd. At 5:20 he states Princess is testing. Now I'm confused

Could he mean Princess at one point was/ is saying this? 
now this may be changing. They updated their website on August 20th 

2 hours ago, gmjc2 said:

To add to the confusion the CDC has put out a new rule that ships that have been in International waters must sit idle for 14 days before taking on passengers again. This seems totally crazy!! All the current rules are set to expire on Oct 31st but with the new surge in cases of Covid who knows??????

Every cruise goes into international waters.