Portugal and France river cruises, flying out Aug. 31 2021

terry&mike

Hi Terry and Mike, I have a logistics question for you......please.   I am flying into Lisbon on Oct 6th...arriving the morning of the 7th.  What paperwork did you need to enter the country? Your vaxx card and Passenger Locator Form? I see in your first post you flew into London first? 

I am just trying to make sure I have what is required.........

Thanks for any help.🙂 and I went to Portugal's website but thought I could get better information live on here👍

59 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Hi Terry and Mike, I have a logistics question for you......please.   I am flying into Lisbon on Oct 6th...arriving the morning of the 7th.  What paperwork did you need to enter the country? Your vaxx card and Passenger Locator Form? I see in your first post you flew into London first? 

I am just trying to make sure I have what is required.........

Thanks for any help.🙂 and I went to Portugal's website but thought I could get better information live on here👍

I think it could depend on where you transit through, but here was ours-

Washington Dulles to London Heathrow, PCR dated no earlier than 8/28/21 and Passenger Locater Form for UK (we stayed airside for our 6 hr layover).

London to Lisbon, PCR no earlier than 8/28/21, Passenger Locator Card for Portugal. 
We were asked for our docs at airline check in, and a couple times along the way. 
We were also asked for test results at Lisbon hotel check in. 
We were only asked for our vaccine card when we got to the River cruise. 

Edited by terry&mike
Copy

1 hour ago, terry&mike said:

I think it could depend on where you transit through, but here was ours-

Washington Dulles to London Heathrow, PCR dated no earlier than 8/28/21 and Passenger Locater Form for UK (we stayed airside for our 6 hr layover).

London to Lisbon, PCR no earlier than 8/28/21, Passenger Locator Card for Portugal. 
We were asked for our docs at airline check in, and a couple times along the way. 
We were also asked for test results at Lisbon hotel check in. 
We were only asked for our vaccine card when we got to the River cruise. 

Oh...my flight over is from here......Jax to Newark to Lisbon.  So no stopover in Europe except for when I return home.  I will just keep looking.........I could not see where it said I had to have a negative test but I will re-read again. I know when I sailed out of Athens in July I did not need a PCR test--only my vax card and QR code.  I guess every country has different rules.

14 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Oh...my flight over is from here......Jax to Newark to Lisbon.  So no stopover in Europe except for when I return home.  I will just keep looking.........I could not see where it said I had to have a negative test but I will re-read again. I know when I sailed out of Athens in July I did not need a PCR test--only my vax card and QR code.  I guess every country has different rules.

I’m just guessing, but that sounds like a United route. If so, go to your booked trip on the United website, and at the top of the page with your trip details, click on Travel Ready Center, it will spell out specially what tests and docs, and when, are needed. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, terry&mike said:

I’m just guessing, but that sounds like a United route. If so, go to your booked trip on the United website, and at the top of the page with your trip details, click on Travel Ready Center, it will spell out specially what tests and docs, and when, are needed. 

Good advice. We followed the Travel Ready Center instructions and all went smoothly. Well, as smoothly as possible these days. 😉

1 hour ago, terry&mike said:

Yes, flying United.  Thanks for that reminder.  I flew on them to Athens in July. Greece did not require a negative test.......only your vax card and QR code/Passenger Locater Form.

Thank you Terry and Mike.........I should have looked at the United website to begin with...........yes, I need to get a test before flying on this trip. They even tell you the best/last date for an acceptable test. 

In this case, they don't even ask for you vax card but I am bringing it with me anyway.

2 hours ago, Wings55 said:

Good advice. We followed the Travel Ready Center instructions and all went smoothly. Well, as smoothly as possible these days. 😉

Hi Paul, I went back and read everything in the Travel Ready Center instructions..........it sure was easier flying to Greece😉.   Will have to make sure I go on the right day to get the results back in time for my flight.

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Paul, I went back and read everything in the Travel Ready Center instructions..........it sure was easier flying to Greece😉.   Will have to make sure I go on the right day to get the results back in time for my flight.

We utilized a same day results PCR testing facility, it cost $159 pp, but we felt it was worth it to cover our bases. We scheduled an appointment for the morning before our departure. 

6 hours ago, terry&mike said:

We utilized a same day results PCR testing facility, it cost $159 pp, but we felt it was worth it to cover our bases. We scheduled an appointment for the morning before our departure. 

Hi, that is something I will look into.......thanks.

Today we had a relaxed morning on board with scenic sailing. Spent the afternoon visiting Mateus palace and gardens, and then a visit to a Quinta for a tour and port tasting. Tonight we have a local folk/fado band on board. 

• Like 2

The folk and fado music band that performed last night was excellent!

Today we had a walking tour to the train station in Pinhao to see its beautiful tile murals. Then had free time to wander about for another hour plus. I took a nice walk, and bought a painted tile. 

The rest of today spent sailing towards Spain, the scenery is stunning. 

The food onboard has been top notch, interesting, good selections, local flavor sets, delicious. 

Every day we say to each other how happy we are that we came on the trip. 

They are offering Covid testing on Thursday afternoon, PCR 80 euros, Antigen 20 euros. We think we don’t need either to fly from Portugal to France on Saturday, unless something changes. 

• Like 2

Today we enjoyed a full day in lovely Salamanca, Spain. The buses departed at 8:30a for a 2 hour drive. We stopped at the Hotel Alameda Plaza when we arrived, and then had free time of about 45 minutes at a market and in the main square. Then a 1 hour walking tour. Followed by an incredible lunch at the Hotel Alameda plaza, we flamenco dancers, singers, music. Then about 2 hours free time to wander about, and a 2 hour drive back to the ship. We arrived back at 6:15p. Great day!

• Like 2

Today we visited Castelo Rodrigo, a beautiful stone town with the ruins of a castle on top of a hill. It is surrounded by miles of almond trees, and produces many delicious almond products  - flavored almonds of many types, almond liquors, etc - and beautiful cork handicrafts. 
This evening will we have dinner and entertainment at a Quinta. 

• Like 2

This evening we had a fabulous traditional Portuguese dinner of many courses, paired with local wines, at the lovely Quinta de Avessada, near Pinhao. The host was delightful with fun stories, there was lively music, and everything was delicious. The views were spectacular. 

• Like 2

We went to Lamego today and those that wanted to could climb the 686 steps up to the Cathedral. We did the climb and it was very nice to get a little exercise. 
Afterwards we had lunch at a lovely Quinta/winery, Pacheca I believe. The setting and lunch were wonderful, and the wines and ports were some of our favorites. 
We are having our disembarkation briefing this afternoon, and a gala dinner tonight. 

• Like 2

We are docked in Porto today. There are a couple of tours to choose from, we chose the Active tour. It was a walking tour for about 3 hours with a guide that included a ride on a cable car and a visit to Sandemans port house and tasting. 
At 2pm DH and I had a Covid antigen test and are awaiting our results. Passengers who were interested in tests could schedule for Thursday or Friday, and for antigen or PCR. Our cost was 20 euros pp; I believe the PCR test was 80 euros pp. 

We will remain docked here until tomorrow’s disembarkation, and are free to wander around Vila Nova de Gaia (where we are docked), or Porto (10 minute walk across the river). There is also a shuttle bus to Porto, but I’m unsure of the schedule. 

• Like 1

Pardon if this is a double post, as I don’t see my post here. 

Yesterday (Friday) DH and I took Antigen tests at 2:45pm, and were relieved when our results came back negative around 9pm. 

Passengers could choose to take tests on Thursday or Friday, Antigen or PCR, if they were interested. Most passengers took tests on Thursday as most were flying back to the US on Saturday. 

On Friday at lunch, 45 minutes before our test we were notified a passenger had tested positive on Thursday on his antigen test. As we are only 34 passengers on board, it was easy to figure out who and then scurry up some details.

The ship was notified very quickly of his positive test and he and his wife were quarantined to their cabin on Thursday. He was given a PCR test which came back positive Thursday during the night. They remained in cabin quarantine until today (Saturday), and will then be quarantined in a hotel in Porto until 10 days of quarantine have been met, and will then test again. They were scheduled to return to the US today, so that has changed for them. 

As for us, we are flying on to France today, and will stay in an Airbnb in Bordeaux for the night, and will board the Scenic Diamond tomorrow. Our pass sanitaire has not come through yet though. 

• Like 1

Thanks for posting the details of the unfortunate passenger’s positive test result.  It’s good to know there’s a process in place for such an event.  Now I’m wondering how he could have contracted Covid with so many precautions.  Timewise is it possible he contracted it just prior to embarking on the cruise and was asymptomatic until the departure test?

What are the odds... Only 34 passengers, shows you have many carriers are around that this person would catch it. I hope the crew is taking further tests, otherwise they will be a potential risk for the next cruise passengers. Picking up Gourmet Gal's thought: did you all have a test during the river cruise or were all the passengers last negative results from the day (or within the 72 hour period) before embarkation?

I hope everything goes smoothly in France and that you have a great time.

notamermaid 

Edited by notamermaid

I would imagine he could have picked up Covid in a number of different ways. Passengers attended several tours with free time afterwards, so they could have interacted with shop keepers, waiters, and so on on multiple occasions. We also attended several nice lunch, dinners, wine tastings off the boat, so again ample time for someone to interact with others, and possibly pick up a bug. 
As to when, he would have had a Covid test to fly in, and then he did a pre cruise stay in Lisbon for 3 nights, boarded on Saturday, then took his test on Thursday. That would be about the 10th day since his international flight or so. 
I don’t remember having to show our negative test to board the ship. We did show it several times for the international flight. I remember showing proof of vaccine to board.