NCL Epic for the British

Trimone

14 minutes ago, Trimone said:

I haven’t a clue, I started doing the Italian health forms and thought to myself why am I doing this! In my opinion it’s down to NCL to do, in all my cruises except a disaster with RCL in China I’ve never known nothing like it.

Barcelona has suffered terribly with covid, I went on a walk about around all the old haunts last night, business owners would personally lynch the local politicians, the closed businesses speak for themselves 😭

I imagine 😞 

Hope your cruise is great and that you'll report back with all the info! I'm setting off next week for the Getaway!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Trimone said:

I haven’t a clue, I started doing the Italian health forms and thought to myself why am I doing this! In my opinion it’s down to NCL to do, in all my cruises except a disaster with RCL in China I’ve never known nothing like it.

I have cruised from Barcelona to Italy 2 times this summer with MSC, not PLF needed for guided shore excursions.

I suppose Epic will be the same.

As  I understand it, PLF is only for disembarking, not for stops.

On the second one, Italy passed the law requiring green pass for visiting many places. As MSC doesn't require vaccination, they did antigen test every 2 days for those that didn't have the pass. I don't know what the protocol will be for those vaccinated but without an euro covid pass, but I suppose it will be handled the same way, if Italy recognises the vaccination cards directly you will use that, and if not, they will test onboard and make certificates for those people.

On 8/31/2021 at 1:11 PM, ScratchTheRat said:

Currently, guests who are residents of the United Kingdom are required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 antigen or PCR test, performed by a third party and taken no more than 72-hours prior to embarkation, upon boarding. Additionally, these guests will receive an antigen test at the terminal as part of the standard protocols. Those that cannot present a negative test at the terminal during check in will be denied boarding without refund.

It looks like this has now been removed from their site.  Every time I read their site, it says something different.

34 minutes ago, Lisa353 said:

It looks like this has now been removed from their site.  Every time I read their site, it says something different.

It's not on the main site, it's on the "Prepare for your cruise" microsite that gets emailed out at 21 days: 

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/prepare-for-your-cruise/2021

image.png.854f19fcb705cd9d76828a805f7db055.png

12 minutes ago, ScratchTheRat said:

It's not on the main site, it's on the "Prepare for your cruise" microsite that gets emailed out at 21 days: 

https://www.ncl.com/uk/en/prepare-for-your-cruise/2021

image.png.854f19fcb705cd9d76828a805f7db055.png

The FAQ has been removed and on chat today I was told the mandate is removed, a fellow passenger was told this on the phone today too

39424019-9FD7-4D03-89B8-11C47550FD94.jpeg

• Thanks 1

We’re due on the Epic 29/09 from Rome.
Am I understanding the testing procedures correctly , NCL only accept a test done in a testing centre as opposed to a test done at home and sent by post or uploaded on internet. It’s so complicated. 

12 hours ago, Fifi1910 said:

We’re due on the Epic 29/09 from Rome.
Am I understanding the testing procedures correctly , NCL only accept a test done in a testing centre as opposed to a test done at home and sent by post or uploaded on internet. It’s so complicated. 

Correct, no self tests.

The following is taken from the NCL site - does anyone know when the 72 hour window closes, it is 6pm on the day or departure or to the time you check in?

Many thanks

Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guests travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible

4 hours ago, Armadillo-girl said:

The following is taken from the NCL site - does anyone know when the 72 hour window closes, it is 6pm on the day or departure or to the time you check in?

Many thanks

Norwegian Cruise Line will assist with applicable expenses related to any mandatory quarantine that are not covered by a guests travel insurance only if the guest provides proof of a negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours prior to their sail date. Proof of negative COVID-19 PCR or antigen test taken within 72-hours of sail date must show guest name, date of birth and date the test was taken in order to be eligible

I read it as 72 hours prior to embarkation. 
Italy require 48 hours prior to landing. 
We don’t usually fly in on day of cruise but we wanted to simplify the testing, our flight lands at 12 noon on the 29th. 
We’re going to get an antigen test done at a test centre on Monday afternoon or Tuesday morning. 

Fingers crossed it goes to plan. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Armadillo-girl said:

Many thanks

NCL told me the 72 hours is calculated before the sailing departure time of 6pm

• Like 1

Just had an online chat with NCL regarding Covid test 72 hours prior to boarding.
I asked specifically if it needs to be done by a third party in a clinic they said NO it just needs to have  guest details and date of test. 
Makes it slightly easier that we can do home test and upload results online to get certificate for travel, saves a bit of money too. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Fifi1910 said:

Just had an online chat with NCL regarding Covid test 72 hours prior to boarding.
I asked specifically if it needs to be done by a third party in a clinic they said NO it just needs to have  guest details and date of test. 
Makes it slightly easier that we can do home test and upload results online to get certificate for travel, saves a bit of money too. 

I would be just a tad worried about that - are you sure?  Is this UK related, or are you referring to the 72 hour antigen test that ensures you are covered for quarantine costs if you test positive at the pier?

It seems unlikely they'd take home tests, it would seem akin to taking your word.  Just be sure!

2 hours ago, MrsD27 said:

Interested to see where you’ve had these antigen tests prior to embarking/departing. I’m booked on epic 26th and just starting to look at tests so any recommendations would be great! 

I have organised a booking with a local Boots chemist. (Ireland)

15 hours ago, Fifi1910 said:

A home test is something I do myself and the only person who can give a proof is me. There are of course video supervised home tests where the person supervising your test is eligable to give you a certificate with your name, date of birth, date of the test / time of the test. So for a certificate you definitely need some third party who is eligable to give you the certificate.

steamboats

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steamboats said:

A home test is something I do myself and the only person who can give a proof is me. There are of course video supervised home tests where the person supervising your test is eligable to give you a certificate with your name, date of birth, date of the test / time of the test. So for a certificate you definitely need some third party who is eligable to give you the certificate.

steamboats

Home test kits designed for travel include a QR code where you log the results online and receive a certificate to back-up the test results, there is no need for a video supervised test unless your destination requires that.

For us, a "return to the UK" test only needs to be a home antigen test so it's easy to take one with you, do the test overseas and log the results online (A PCR test is however needed 2 days after return).

Some countries need supervised tests (video), some require clinic tests and others allow home tests there is no standard, in each case the requirements need to be checked with the country or company (in the case of NCL) requesting it.

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

Home test kits designed for travel include a QR code where you log the results online and receive a certificate to back-up the test results, there is no need for a video supervised test unless your destination requires that.

For us, a "return to the UK" test only needs to be a home antigen test so it's easy to take one with you, do the test overseas and log the results online (A PCR test is however needed 2 days after return).

Some countries need supervised tests (video), some require clinic tests and others allow home tests there is no standard, in each case the requirements need to be checked with the country or company (in the case of NCL) requesting it.

Yes this is what I meant as a home test.
I will order an antigen test to my home and upload the results online and the company will email me a certificate. 
It will save me a two hour round trip to my nearest boots, makes it easier for timing as well as we are staying at Heathrow the night before as we have an early flight.

NCL seem to keep changing their policy on this that’s why I asked them directly. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ziggyuk said:

Thanks for the explanation. This type of home test is not available in Germany.

steamboats

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fifi1910 said:

Yes this is what I meant as a home test.
I will order an antigen test to my home and upload the results online and the company will email me a certificate. 
It will save me a two hour round trip to my nearest boots, makes it easier for timing as well as we are staying at Heathrow the night before as we have an early flight.

NCL seem to keep changing their policy on this that’s why I asked them directly. 

Thanks for the info. Where do you get this type of test from? I am in UK next week so that would be a better option than the brain tickle tests we get over here

9 minutes ago, SpainAlien said:

Thanks for the info. Where do you get this type of test from? I am in UK next week so that would be a better option than the brain tickle tests we get over here

You can get them here for £22.40, take them with you and use them in your hotel room, upload the results for a certificate:

https://www.chronomics.com/britishairways?affiliate=british-airways

Note: not suitable for some countries like the US who need a supervised test.

EDIT: It's still a brain tickle test but you get to tickle your own brain 😂

Edited by ziggyuk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ziggyuk said:

You can get them here for £22.40, take them with you and use them in your hotel room, upload the results for a certificate:

https://www.chronomics.com/britishairways?affiliate=british-airways

Note: not suitable for some countries like the US who need a supervised test.

EDIT: It's still a brain tickle test but you get to tickle your own brain 😂

Thank you

• Like 1