Tipping in Luminae and Butler tip

Brookefairway

I usually tip in the beginning and end. I let them know that I am appreciative of the preparation they did to prepare for my arrival. Things like in a suite filling my requested preferences. Thankful to have their assistance and look forward to the vacation. 

• Like 1

You have been lucky, then.  Out of somewhere around 18 cruises, I have had two butlers, one on Celebrity and one in the NCL Haven, who really didn’t give a hoot.  Normally, I would let those chips fall where they may.  I’m still on a cruise and having a wonderful holiday.  Their tip at the end would reflect their level of service.  But this is different.  Most likely my friend never will cruise in a suite again.  I am willing to be a bit “tacky,” as you described it, to insure she gets the best experience. 

8 hours ago, WhenIam64 said:

Other posters “opened” this old thread a few days ago.  There were 5 or 6 new comments, so I felt comfortable posting as well.  Frankly, I suspect the community as a whole would not appreciate me starting a brand new tipping thread! 😱😱😱

I did not question you , only the person reopening the thread after a couple of years. We have had a few very good butlers on royal suite last week we mentioned we were having a few people over and butler brought us a nice spread with fruit, shrimp and more . Our only penthouse butler was fantastic, entire staff treats penthouse special. MSc yacht club butlers are great.

5 hours ago, WhenIam64 said:

You have been lucky, then.  Out of somewhere around 18 cruises, I have had two butlers, one on Celebrity and one in the NCL Haven, who really didn’t give a hoot.  Normally, I would let those chips fall where they may.  I’m still on a cruise and having a wonderful holiday.  Their tip at the end would reflect their level of service.  But this is different.  Most likely my friend never will cruise in a suite again.  I am willing to be a bit “tacky,” as you described it, to insure she gets the best experience. 

It's not tacky to tip up front, especially if you are expecting more than the norm from your butler.  I would prepare a written list of everything you would like for them to do to take care of your friend.  Review the list with the butler at the same time that you are providing the tip.  It's helpful for the butler who has several suites to take care of to have a list he/she can refer to and letting them know that you are going to make sure they are well taken care of for their extra efforts I am sure will be appreciated.  

• Like 1

On 3/25/2024 at 3:14 PM, WhenIam64 said:

I also usually avoid tipping threads, but I have a bit of a unique situation on my next cruise, so I thought I would share my thinking and encourage feedback.

I have worked with a personal trainer for the last five years.  I have a health condition that makes this necessary if I am going to continue to enjoy good strength and mobility.  This trainer has been wonderful to me, so I am treating her to a cruise in an 8-day EV on Beyond.  
This woman has had it kinda rough the past few years.  She takes care of everyone else, but nobody takes care of her. I want her to be pampered and treated like the wonderful person she is by our butler and room steward.  
I am a generous tipper because we usually do ask a lot, especially from the butler.  I likely will ask a lot of both of them - keeping beverages stocked, keeping the plunge pool hot and clean, breakfast in the suite every morning after she puts me through my paces in the gym, perhaps a small cocktail party if we meet some nice folks.  I would even hope for a towel animal or two to delight her!

I was thinking that I might tip both the butler and the room steward at the beginning and the end of the cruise, discreetly, without my friend knowing. At the beginning, cash in a note that tells them how very much I want my traveling companion to feel special and valued.  I would tell them both that I also intend to tip generously at the end of the cruise, but that the initial tip is my gesture of good faith in the hopes that they will help me insure she has the time of her life.

I know that in-suite service varies from one cruise to another.  I just want this one to be the best!  
Do you think this approach is appropriate or over-the-top showing off?  It has never been so important for me to have a cruise be the ultimate luxury experience, for her more than for me.  Please be kind but honest in your feedback.

Personally, I like your plan.  It is discrete and I suspect, will be effective.  I hope you both have a wonderful cruise. 

• Like 1

On 3/26/2024 at 2:57 AM, George C said:

I did not question you , only the person reopening the thread after a couple of years. We have had a few very good butlers on royal suite last week we mentioned we were having a few people over and butler brought us a nice spread with fruit, shrimp and more . Our only penthouse butler was fantastic, entire staff treats penthouse special. MSc yacht club butlers are great.

I apologize if I offended you.  I am the one who reopened this thread.  It was the only thread I found specifically about tipping butler and in Luminae and my question was about that topic.  To my mind, additional comments in an old thread about the topic makes more sense than starting a new thread about same topic.  

• Like 2