Tipping in Luminae and Butler tip

Brookefairway

1 hour ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I also asked about the dishwashers, the folks that did the laundry and other “behind the scenes” activities and she said those folks are on full salaries. The tips are pretty much for those folks “out in public” like the folks I mentioned above.

Which makes sense, and is the same as tipped employees under FLSA. You have to be front of house, or “out in public” to be on a tipped employee wage, otherwise you’re fully salaried. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Also, for those interested, here is the Additional Gratuities Form you can pick up at CS if you want to designate an additional amount to a particular department or to a specific Stateroom Attendant and/or Personal Retreat Host (butler).

00FE7613-4A33-4EF6-B9FA-E7F5C1484421.jpeg

Hi Ken,

Quick question for you:  Are you positive that if you fill out this form the money will actually go to the person you designated it to go to (i.e., your butler, room steward, waiter, etc.)?  I was always leary of filling out this form and using OBC for tips at the end of the week because I was never SURE that the money was given to the person I wanted it to go to.  I would always give the individual cash.  I'm presuming you've filled out this form for your past 2 cruises.  If that's the case, did your butler or waiter or anyone actually tell you thanks and that they got the money.  I do have lots of OBC on my September 4th Edge sailing and I would definitely consider filling out this form if I was sure the person actually got the money.  (I know......I'm being paranoid about this but I don't want, for example, my butler to get "shorted" any tip money).  Thanks so much for your feedback.

34 minutes ago, jcpc said:

Hi Ken,

Quick question for you:  Are you positive that if you fill out this form the money will actually go to the person you designated it to go to (i.e., your butler, room steward, waiter, etc.)?  I was always leary of filling out this form and using OBC for tips at the end of the week because I was never SURE that the money was given to the person I wanted it to go to.  I would always give the individual cash.  I'm presuming you've filled out this form for your past 2 cruises.  If that's the case, did your butler or waiter or anyone actually tell you thanks and that they got the money.  I do have lots of OBC on my September 4th Edge sailing and I would definitely consider filling out this form if I was sure the person actually got the money.  (I know......I'm being paranoid about this but I don't want, for example, my butler to get "shorted" any tip money).  Thanks so much for your feedback.

Yes, after our second leg we had $130 in OBC left over and we designated $65 each to our stateroom attendant and butler and they both thanked us early on in this cruise. Right now it looks like we’re going to have over $600 left at the end of this leg and a majority will go to the Luminae staff, whom we haven’t given any extra yet to along with more to our stateroom attendant and butler. 😎

8 hours ago, laslomas said:

Are you saying that they do not get a wage / salary, but just the money from the gratuities that works out at $6/hour?

Or do they get paid a wage / salary, and of course full board, plus an extra $420 a week tip (gratuity) on top of that?  

My understanding is that they do get paid a small salary - it was $50 a month a few years back, with full board. Gratuities are additional to these arrangements, so the $6 an hour is exclusive of living costs.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Couple-Somerset said:

I wish I could find an old TV program in which RCI head Richard Fain went aboard a ship and worked in various departments. He readily admitted how physical the stateroom attendant role was but was visibly shocked to discover they were earning something like $50,000 per year inc tips (pro rata based on contract length).

IF true that's great.  Don't begrudge them a single penny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It is their choice and I understand that.  And it must make economic sense compared to what they might get in the country they come from.  I don't think the "free" room and board is a reason that the crew signs up.  It is the money.  Even the small amounts they earn.  They are mostly all incredibly hard workers and many send money home to families.  And miss them for months at a time.  Maybe tipping them a bit extra is the right thing to do- for me anyway.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Yes, after our second leg we had $130 in OBC left over and we designated $65 each to our stateroom attendant and butler and they both thanked us early on in this cruise. Right now it looks like we’re going to have over $600 left at the end of this leg and a majority will go to the Luminae staff, whom we haven’t given any extra yet to along with more to our stateroom attendant and butler. 😎

Thanks, Ken.  This is exactly what I was hoping for.  I may just use the form this time around.  Enjoy the remainder of your week onboard the beautiful Edge.

• Like 1

On 8/24/2021 at 2:09 AM, Couple-Somerset said:

I was under the belief the basic wage was approx $260 per month so around $50 per week (plus free board and lodgings)

As highlighted above, a Butler could be getting $420 per week in pre-paid gratuities.

So, a weekly amount of $470 with free lodging and board.

(1) Seriously, how many people at home have that amount of disposable income every week?

(2) Yes, they work long hours - which is the normal for where they live. Its only the rest of us who are "lazy" in comparison.

(3) Yes, they send money home for their families - but being blunt, that is their choice. Do remember the cost of living at "home" is much much less too so that $1 of purchases might be $5 in the USA. The average daily wage in the Philippines is $20 too.

(4) Why aren't western workers doing the job? - too lazy and not as friendly perhaps.

I wish I could find an old TV program in which RCI head Richard Fain went aboard a ship and worked in various departments. He readily admitted how physical the stateroom attendant role was but was visibly shocked to discover they were earning something like $50,000 per year inc tips (pro rata based on contract length).

Anyone this incredulous about tipping has either never worked in the service industry, is European, is a cheapskate, or has a misconception of how and why Americans tip.

I don’t ask my waiter or busboy at Cheescake Factory what they make before I tip them. I don’t ask my local bartender how many hours she works each day before I tip her. I don’t ask my Uber driver if he sends part of his income to family members before tipping. And I don’t compare what I do to what my housekeeper at the Las Vegas MGM Grand does when considering her tip.

Rather, I ask my self, “did this person do a good job, make me feel like a valuable customer, did it all with a smile despite my many requests, and went the extra mile for me?” If the answer is “yes,” I tip. If the answer is “absolutely,” then I tip a lot.

I sure don’t try to figure out if the hotel, restaurant, employer, or pub passes on any portion of my bill to the server. If they get paid twice for great service, that’s fine with me!

And I should note – if a server sucks, I still might tip if I know the establishment pools their tips (but it won’t be a lot).

As for that Celebrity gratuity form discussed earlier, I’ve asked multiple purser staff on various ships if my butler, room steward, and waiter get the full amount I put down on the form. The answer I consistently get is “Yes, but write down their name under the amount box just to make sure.”

However, under the general housekeeping and restaurant boxes, it’s distributed to all staff in that specific department. If you want to tip a specific waiter, you’ll have to do it with an envelope – but he/she still may be required to submit it to the general department gratuity pool.

A lot of these crew members don’t see their families for 6-8 months at a time, share an inside cabin with 1 or 2 other crew members, eat in a cafeteria below decks with no access to passenger dining areas, and work 8-16 hour days depending on the position. If they make $50,000 each per year, they’re worth it. Because you couldn’t pay me enough to clean up 24 passengers’ sh*tty toilets every day, worrying if they have COVID, and being treated like a lowly servant by most of them. And yet they do it… often with a smile.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 6

I usually try to stay out of tipping discussions because everyone seems to know exactly Celebrity's tipping service works for their staff, even if they have no clue. But I will say that RichardRahl's response above is one of the best I've seen. It's none of my business how employees get paid or have tips distributed, if pooled.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RichardRahl said:

Anyone this incredulous about tipping has either never worked in the service industry, is European, is a cheapskate, or has a misconception of how and why Americans tip.

I don’t ask my waiter or busboy at Cheescake Factory what they make before I tip them. I don’t ask my local bartender how many hours she works each day before I tip her. I don’t ask my Uber driver if he sends part of his income to family members before tipping. And I don’t compare what I do to what my housekeeper at the Las Vegas MGM Grand does when considering her tip.

Rather, I ask my self, “did this person do a good job, make me feel like a valuable customer, did it all with a smile despite my many requests, and went the extra mile for me?” If the answer is “yes,” I tip. If the answer is “absolutely,” then I tip a lot.

I sure don’t try to figure out if the hotel, restaurant, employer, or pub passes on any portion of my bill to the server. If they get paid twice for great service, that’s fine with me!

And I should note – if a server sucks, I still might tip if I know the establishment pools their tips (but it won’t be a lot).

As for that Celebrity gratuity form discussed earlier, I’ve asked multiple purser staff on various ships if my butler, room steward, and waiter get the full amount I put down on the form. The answer I consistently get is “Yes, but write down their name under the amount box just to make sure.”

However, under the general housekeeping and restaurant boxes, it’s distributed to all staff in that specific department. If you want to tip a specific waiter, you’ll have to do it with an envelope – but he/she still may be required to submit it to the general department gratuity pool.

A lot of these crew members don’t see their families for 6-8 months at a time, share an inside cabin with 1 or 2 other crew members, eat in a cafeteria below decks with no access to passenger dining areas, and work 8-16 hour days depending on the position. If they make $50,000 each per year, they’re worth it. Because you couldn’t pay me enough to clean up 24 passengers’ sh*tty toilets every day, worrying if they have COVID, and being treated like a lowly servant by most of them. And yet they do it… often with a smile.

Amen.  Thank God there are some of us who understand fairness and compassion!!!!!

7 hours ago, RichardRahl said:

Thank you for stating exactly my feelings on the subject.

@Couple-Somerset If you do not like tipping I think you should stick to P&O or Marella Cruises where they make a big thing of a non tipping culture. Admit I still tipped on my one P&O and Marella cruises.

The UK does not have a tipping culture and I personally only tip taxis, sit down served restaurant meals and hairdressers for decent service in the UK. I have never tipped a barman or in Starbucks as they earn an hourly rate. 

However if you travel to the USA/Caribbean or cruise it is the done thing. People live on their tips. I intend to tip on my next cruise for good service and have some OBC reserved for tipping too. In the unlikely possibility I get bad service I will not. Usually found I tipped the most on private excursions with US folk too. 

The cruise staff, although on full-board, are away from their families. Often paying for children to go through college so they do not have to leave home for several months at a time when they grow up. Every dollar helps. I have been away from home for months in the Army and regret the loss of family time. 

We are so fortunate that people leave homes to make our holidays great. As for British or US citizens serving on the ships, like in the olden days when only the rich would cruise. Can you imagine the cost of the cruises! The quality of service in UK hotels/Restaurants seems to have gone down since so many Eastern Europeans went home with Brexit and Covid and I can't see many Brits taking their places.

Every year we travel to France and have a week with a guide skiing off-piste. He was surprised we tipped restaurant staff, as the French never do and the staff do not expect it 'from the French'. So no more tipping in France. However he was grateful for his tip and all the meals we bought him.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 8/23/2021 at 10:44 AM, Gracie115 said:

Last time we were in a suite on Celebrity our butler had 12 suites to take care which included 4 Royals, a Penthouse, 3 Celebrity suites and 4 Skys.

Three years later -- We are on Eclipse at the moment and are in a Sunset Sky Suite.  Our butler said she has responsibility for 22 suites now.  She said Celebrity briefly stopped having butlers for sky suites and used a care team for the butler responsibilities.  But that lasted only a month and assigned butlers were returned. 

I have read this entire thread and still have no idea what is an appropriate amount to tip the butler.  The person who stated he tips $50 or $100 did not mention the length of the cruise for which he would tip that amount.  We are sailing 12-nt cruise.  We always tip stateroom attendant $10 per day; so, assumed should tip the butler at least that much and possibly $15 per day.  More than that amount seems excessive, IMO, as we are not 'needy' people.  I know....personal decision.

• Like 1

Well it took Celebrity much longer than a month to return the Butlers to Sky Suites but that's another thread.

My opinion is $10/day would be very generous and quite a bit more than we do but I'm sure it would be appreciated.   I usually base it as a multiple of what their share of the "required" tip is.  I think the current butler share is < $5/day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We don’t have a set amount.  We base extra tips on what we have asked them to do over and above the normal duties ( ice, restock mini bar, pick up and deliver laundry, remove dirty glassware and replace).

In a few cases we have tipped nothing extra and on others anywhere from $25 to $150.  The high being when we have had gatherings for 10+ in our suite. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Posted (edited)

I agree 100% with @jelayne and use the same approach, especially with the wait staff in the bars and restaurant, including the Retreat Lounge and Luminae, even though we have pre-paid gratuities.

Edited by DaKahuna
  • Thanks 1

I also usually avoid tipping threads, but I have a bit of a unique situation on my next cruise, so I thought I would share my thinking and encourage feedback.

I have worked with a personal trainer for the last five years.  I have a health condition that makes this necessary if I am going to continue to enjoy good strength and mobility.  This trainer has been wonderful to me, so I am treating her to a cruise in an 8-day EV on Beyond.  
This woman has had it kinda rough the past few years.  She takes care of everyone else, but nobody takes care of her. I want her to be pampered and treated like the wonderful person she is by our butler and room steward.  
I am a generous tipper because we usually do ask a lot, especially from the butler.  I likely will ask a lot of both of them - keeping beverages stocked, keeping the plunge pool hot and clean, breakfast in the suite every morning after she puts me through my paces in the gym, perhaps a small cocktail party if we meet some nice folks.  I would even hope for a towel animal or two to delight her!

I was thinking that I might tip both the butler and the room steward at the beginning and the end of the cruise, discreetly, without my friend knowing. At the beginning, cash in a note that tells them how very much I want my traveling companion to feel special and valued.  I would tell them both that I also intend to tip generously at the end of the cruise, but that the initial tip is my gesture of good faith in the hopes that they will help me insure she has the time of her life.

I know that in-suite service varies from one cruise to another.  I just want this one to be the best!  
Do you think this approach is appropriate or over-the-top showing off?  It has never been so important for me to have a cruise be the ultimate luxury experience, for her more than for me.  Please be kind but honest in your feedback.

Don’t like reopening a couple year old thread, but we just got back a few days ago from summit royal suite. We tip Luminae servers with each meal , less for breakfast more for dinner and tip with each drink . End of the week we tip our favorite servers and bar staff an extra twenty or so. Butler , room steward and concierge depending on service . 

2 minutes ago, George C said:

Don’t like reopening a couple year old thread, but we just got back a few days ago from summit royal suite. We tip Luminae servers with each meal , less for breakfast more for dinner and tip with each drink . End of the week we tip our favorite servers and bar staff an extra twenty or so. Butler , room steward and concierge depending on service . 

Other posters “opened” this old thread a few days ago.  There were 5 or 6 new comments, so I felt comfortable posting as well.  Frankly, I suspect the community as a whole would not appreciate me starting a brand new tipping thread! 😱😱😱

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WhenIam64 said:

Do you think this approach is appropriate or over-the-top showing off?  It has never been so important for me to have a cruise be the ultimate luxury experience, for her more than for me.  Please be kind but honest in your feedback.

I think your approach is fine but I usually tip at the end of a cruise or directly after a special event - like a party for 12 purple in our suite. Regardless of the timing or amount of the tip given, some butlers do an amazing job while some don't. I would speak to the retreat manager early on if your expectations are not met.

• Like 1

Speaking to the retreat manager is an excellent idea, if necessary.  I also usually tip on the last night.  This time, I plan to tip at both ends of the trip.  I must confess, I am more excited about my friend having an amazing time than I ever have been about my own experience.  I hope it’s everything that I know a Celebrity cruise can be!

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

I have never felt the need to tip at the beginning of a cruise and have always received excellent service. I’m sure you’ll hear from others who say it’s critical to get excellent service, but it’s never been my case. I think it’s a bit tacky as well in that you’re automatically making an assumption that they won’t do their job and the only way they will do it is to tip upfront. 

Edited by dcbiker97
  • Like 1