MSC Italy & Spain Restrictions for UK Passengers

heathstockton4

Looks like it's been extended.... 

The cruises until the end of September 2021 are available only for those passengers residing in the countries of the Schengen Area (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein , Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland), Romania, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia and the United States.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, karissa2000 said:

Looks like it's been extended.... 

The cruises until the end of September 2021 are available only for those passengers residing in the countries of the Schengen Area (Austria, Belgium, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein , Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland), Romania, Bulgaria, Cyprus, Croatia and the United States.

So residents of UK, Ireland, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and 150 countries will not be allowed to board MSc European Cruises up to 30 September 2021.

And it's looks like even USA may be banned by European countries from 1st September 2021.

An announcement is expected on the 31st August, according to Reuters.

So it does not make sense to buy the MSc travel protection plan, if you are going to be denied boarding anyway.

The entire payment made for a cruise can be  shifted to any other Cruise up to 30th September 2022,  but payment made for the travel protection plan will not be refunded.

I doubt if it can be carried forward to a future cruise.

In any case after one year , covid may be under control and this insurance may not be required at all

Edited by drsel

There was no reason for Ireland to be excluded; we’re EU members and were not required to quarantine in any of the countries on the itineraries.  Anyone who was double jabbed received the EUDCC. 

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

There was no reason for Ireland to be excluded; we’re EU members and were not required to quarantine in any of the countries on the itineraries.

similarly,  there is no reason why USA is given a special privilege,  when they have the highest number of active cases in the world!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, drsel said:

What will happen to those who have bought the MSC full Travel Protection plan, if they are not allowed to enter some countries?

I don't know about the UK policies, but the policy wording in the US has a General Exclusion for that (see Q) in attached.  I suspect that means that means premium will have been paid and no reimbursement from the insurance company - only what MSC gives if they cancel the cruise?

MSC Ins.png

4 hours ago, sidari said:

Could you claim off your holiday insurance for money paid for the MSC Insurance in the event of a cancellation ?

I suspect that any money paid for the MSC travel protection plan will go to waste, if you are denied boarding, being a resident of any one of 150  countries.

NO OTHER HOLIDAY INSURANCE WILL REIMBURSE YOU THIS AMOUNT.

You will only be able to transfer the full payment of your Cruise to a future Cruise before 30th September 2022

On the other hand, there has been not a single report of anyone being denied boarding up to date.

But MSC rules are very clear.

so who will take a chance and risk flying to the port only to be denied boarding?

No one wants to waste his precious time and airfare

Edited by drsel

27 minutes ago, drsel said:

I suspect that any money paid for the MSC travel protection plan will go to waste, if you are denied boarding, being a resident of any one of 150  countries.

The dilemma is that as has been said by prior posters, for UK they are not being denied entry due to gov't actions (at least not at this time), but MSC is denying boarding.  So, does the insurance policy apply (if MSC fails to reimburse $)?

13 minutes ago, KeepSailing said:

The dilemma is that as has been said by prior posters, for UK they are not being denied entry due to gov't actions (at least not at this time), but MSC is denying boarding.  So, does the insurance policy apply (if MSC fails to reimburse $)?

MSc allows you to transfer 100 percent of the Cruise fare paid to any future Cruise before 30th September 2022. (double the cost for the same itinerary)

They will not refund your Cruise fare, if fully paid.

I think that having the MSc travel protection plan will also not get you a cash refund of your cruise fare, if you are denied boarding.

Because MSC is  giving you full flexibility up to 48 hours prior to sailing, without any fee or charge or penalty.

By now it is obvious that residents of 150 odd countries  (including UK, Ireland, Canada Australia New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong Singapore, China etc) have to postpone their September 2021 Med Cruises,  because MSc has laid down the rules which have to be followed.

Edited by drsel

1 hour ago, drsel said:

MSc allows you to transfer 100 percent of the Cruise fare paid to any future Cruise before 30th September 2022. (double the cost for the same itinerary)

They will not refund your Cruise fare, if fully paid.

I think that having the MSc travel protection plan will also not get you a cash refund of your cruise fare, if you are denied boarding.

Because MSC is  giving you full flexibility up to 48 hours prior to sailing, without any fee or charge or penalty.

By now it is obvious that residents of 150 odd countries  (including UK, Ireland, Canada Australia New Zealand, Japan, Hong Kong Singapore, China etc) have to postpone their September 2021 Med Cruises,  because MSc has laid down the rules which have to be followed.

Why should passengers “postpone” their cruises ? Lets MSC cancel them, because they are obviously making up the rules as they go along

• Like 2

8 hours ago, soloadventurer said:

Why should passengers “postpone” their cruises ? Lets MSC cancel them, because they are obviously making up the rules as they go along

Agreed, MSC has recently cancelled some September 2021 bookings.

I expect that by late September they will cancel some October bookings too, if the rules remain the same.

Not sure if anyone know the answer to this?

As travel to Spain is not restricted for UK visitors would MSC permit a UK passenger to board in Barcelona and then if they would allow this what happens at the Italian ports on the itinerary. As per Italian Government regulations, visitors from the UK are now permitted but are MSC going to go against this and not allow UK passengers to go ashore?

I understand the logical decision is delay any Med cruise with MSC until all restrictions are lifted but this October cruise for us was for a 50th birthday hence our real desire to book it.

1 hour ago, heathstockton4 said:

Not sure if anyone know the answer to this?

As travel to Spain is not restricted for UK visitors would MSC permit a UK passenger to board in Barcelona and then if they would allow this what happens at the Italian ports on the itinerary. As per Italian Government regulations, visitors from the UK are now permitted but are MSC going to go against this and not allow UK passengers to go ashore?

I understand the logical decision is delay any Med cruise with MSC until all restrictions are lifted but this October cruise for us was for a 50th birthday hence our real desire to book it.

It would seem that passengers from the UK are again banned from MSC cruises until the end of September, NCL who are cruising the Med with UK passengers are not allowing them off at the Italian port stops.

Has anyone had any luck getting a refund from MSC on this or at least finding out what the situation is? Been trying to get a firm answer from them for the last 2 weeks as I’m due to sail on the Virtuosa on the 20th September from Barcelona, but supposedly can’t as I am a non Schengen resident.

1 hour ago, ropo26 said:

Has anyone had any luck getting a refund from MSC on this or at least finding out what the situation is? Been trying to get a firm answer from them for the last 2 weeks as I’m due to sail on the Virtuosa on the 20th September from Barcelona, but supposedly can’t as I am a non Schengen resident.

Litterally in the same boat (we board in Genoa 22/09). I spoke with MSC last night but no real information to add. They say changes are happening all the time and they expect an update in the next few days.

Annoyingly though, late last night i had 2 Bid to upgrade emails sent through for this sailing. So whilst MSC wont currently allow us onboard, they're more than happy to continue taking our money.

We're in a dilema, that we've booked a back up holiday to greece, and we need to make the decision if we are to cancel, or wait for MSC to make the call, but risk being able to board. We have until tuesday to make the decision on what to do.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, stuart2468 said:

Litterally in the same boat (we board in Genoa 22/09). I spoke with MSC last night but no real information to add. They say changes are happening all the time and they expect an update in the next few days.

Annoyingly though, late last night i had 2 Bid to upgrade emails sent through for this sailing. So whilst MSC wont currently allow us onboard, they're more than happy to continue taking our money.

We're in a dilema, that we've booked a back up holiday to greece, and we need to make the decision if we are to cancel, or wait for MSC to make the call, but risk being able to board. We have until tuesday to make the decision on what to do.

Ouch that sounds painful! It is ridiculous though as each time I call them to say the information is in black and white on your various websites, they are still claiming to be waiting for information about something. 

We too want to book something else separate from a cruise, but MSC aren't playing ball. I am tempted to take them to Watchdog or ABTA as it is really bad still taking money from us when they know full well we can't travel. 

2 hours ago, ropo26 said:

There is no chance of getting any refund.

you have to to transfer your funds to a future Cruise before 30 September 2022.

Have you received your cruise ticket & luggage tags ?

MSC US & UK sites both clearly state---

For cruises non-domestic cruises, we will welcome guests who are residents in the 26 European ‘Schengen’ countries (Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland) and Bulgaria, Romania, Cyprus, Croatia and the USA.

MSC UK additionally states that--

Non-Schengen residents (except for Romania, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and the USA) are currently not allowed to sail because of international and national travel restrictions in the Mediterranean and Northern Europe. This is applicable to cruises till end of September 2021. Any update will be shared in due time before their cruise. Our guests are kindly invited to regularly check the list for the latest updates. 

Even if MSC breaks its own rules & allows UK passengers to board, they will NOT be allowed to disembark at any port in Italy.

Most 7 night cruises have 3 ports in Italy, which means hardly 1 or 2 ports will be available for sightseeing.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I dont think its worth flying to Barcelona or Rome for just 1--2 days of sightseeing, while being confined to the ship for 5--6 days.