Black out shades

easteregg7

I'm interested in booking a South America cruise around bottom of cape horn. Oceania has a good itinerary that goes to antarctica also.  I'd like a balcony room. But I have difficulty sleeping with extraneous light in the room. Antarctica has long daylight hours during thier summer.

So my question: does Oceania have good quality black out shades at balcony curtains?

3 hours ago, easteregg7 said:

I'm interested in booking a South America cruise around bottom of cape horn. Oceania has a good itinerary that goes to antarctica also.  I'd like a balcony room. But I have difficulty sleeping with extraneous light in the room. Antarctica has long daylight hours during thier summer.

So my question: does Oceania have good quality black out shades at balcony curtains?

A simple suggestion is to get yourself a very comfy blindfold which you can take with you whenever you travel.   

Hank

• Like 1

3 hours ago, easteregg7 said:

the  curtains are  good to block the light  but I take a couple of clothes pins to hold them together

We did an Arctic cruise  & it worked out  fine for me

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

the  curtains are  good to block the light  but I take a couple of clothes pins to hold them together

Or if you can spare one of the provided trouser hangers, simply clip the curtain panels together.  The panels do have a heavy light-blocking lining.

Edited by KatieBelle
  • Like 2

The clothespins sound like a great suggestion but I can say, our staterooms have always been Black so sleeping and outside light was not an issue. One added suggestion we will make is to bring along a Bungy Cord as we use it to connect the door handle of the bathroom door to the handle of the stateroom entry door. Sometimes the bathroom door can rattle with ocean motion and another benefit, we prefer to have the bathroom door open during the night to make those short trips in the dark easier for venturing out of bed. 👍🤞😁🤪😷
Mauibabes

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Noxequifans said:

The others who have responded made good suggestions. My experience has been that curtains and light have not been an issue. 

I agree. In fact, we keep that slither of sunlight coming in, an otherwise very dark room, to more easily find the bathroom in the middle of the night. A little light can be safer!!!

1 hour ago, mauibabes said:

we prefer to have the bathroom door open during the night to make those short trips in the dark easier for venturing out of bed. 👍🤞😁🤪😷
Mauibabes

Never had a problem finding the W/C in the dark  usually enough light from under the cabin door or the W/C door from the nightlight

YMMV

On 8/29/2021 at 6:23 AM, LHT28 said:

I read that years ago and it worked great. Also in Alaska we had an inside cabin and the only light was a sliver under the door.