Latest (8/29) on COVID Testing

Cruise Suzy

On 8/31/2021 at 4:22 PM, dobiemom said:

CovidClinic.org has a testing site on Third Ave. Appts available Oct 5. Bad things: #1 You need to get there 😧; #2 (Rapid) Antigen (results in 1 hour) is $129. 
Good Luck. 

Why not BinaxNow AG by Abbott Labs? Two tests for about 70 bucks. If you do it at at the hotel you'll need a laptop.

2 hours ago, twodjs said:

Carnival has just announced changing the 3 day period down to 2 days prior to cruising starting with the weekend of Sept. 11 and 12. Other cruiselines are expected to follow suit. So one more glitch in the planning process. They are discussing plans for mobile testing at the pier but didn't expect anything confirmed until probably November. 

I hope this is not true!  The Binax NOW ag card tests  I ordered arrived (6 for $150 + shipping and tax=$180)  and I found back up places, but I would like to have printed results in hand when we drive to San Diego to stay overnight pre cruise in Nov.  2 days cuts it close.

To all that live near Seattle or flying into Seattle early.  We tested at Carbon Health in Bellevue yesterday (Wednesday) and they were excellent, no issue on parking, very efficient and nice, and we had results by midnight the same day.  They only have the PCR test and the cost is $150.  They also do NOT take walk in's at this location, so you don't have to worry about arriving on time and encountering a two hour wait.  Don't fret about the appointment making, they have plenty of same day available.  

Something to note if you are using a smartphone: when you try and print the PDF, it will save directly into your file manager, you'll have to print from there via google docs; to view/screenshot, you'll need to copy the link and paste into chrome, I was not able to do either within their website itself.  This might be a bit tricky for the less tech savvy among us, so be forewarned.  

Does anybody know if HAL can look at a smartphone to see test results?  A bit of a bummer that we need to print while they automate everything else.  

3 hours ago, twodjs said:

Carnival has just announced changing the 3 day period down to 2 days prior to cruising starting with the weekend of Sept. 11 and 12. Other cruiselines are expected to follow suit. So one more glitch in the planning process. They are discussing plans for mobile testing at the pier but didn't expect anything confirmed until probably November. 

I made our appointments for the Wednesday before our cruise. I saw this on Carnival's site as you referenced. I needed to call and ask a different question, so I also also asked about this. Rep told me it's still three days for now, but I won't be surprised if it changes! This is so fluid right now!
Be safe everyone!

6 hours ago, Loreto said:

I hope this is not true!  The Binax NOW ag card tests  I ordered arrived (6 for $150 + shipping and tax=$180)  and I found back up places, but I would like to have printed results in hand when we drive to San Diego to stay overnight pre cruise in Nov.  2 days cuts it close.

You can print the results  of your BinaxNow test. If at the hotel use the hotel printer or stop at a Fedex/Kinko in town. Of course you have it in the NAVICA app. on your phone

My husband Rick and I will be cruising on the 21st of October..  I just finished speaking with a Holland America Rep regarding the new 2 day testing requirements.  They suggested using emed https://www.emed.com/products/covid-at-home-testkit-six-pack  where you purchase their tests and when you are ready to do the test you start the app and they will come online to medically supervise the test for you.  They offer medically supervised testing 24 hours a day.  This makes our planning a lot easier and I wanted to let others know about it. 

• Like 1

I read about Carnival's change to the 2 day requirement yesterday, as well.  For the 3 day requirement we were planning on testing at the Fairbanks airport on Thanksgiving day.  We are flying to San Diego late that night and arriving just before noon on November 26th.

With the 2 day requirement, that put us in a spot!  So I did some research and we are able to test at the San Diego airport upon our arrival on 11/26.  We were able to make an appointment (required for testing) for that day through the Carbon Health website. https://carbonhealth.com/covid-19-travel-clearance-san-diego-airport?utm_source=gmb&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=san-diego-airport&utm_content=website   We can always cancel this if HAL decides to test at the pier.  

I am so relieved to have a backup plan.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 4:48 PM, eigig said:

I live in The Villages Florida and I am going on the 9/04 sailing from Seattle to Alaska

Hence, I need a test this week. I have already booked a PCR at CVS (free) and a rapid test at Advent Health ($179) for Wednesday 9/01. I booked the PCR first and kept the appointment because in these parts it is never certain that you will have a rapid test available to you when you show up. My back up rapid test plan is Orlando airport on my way to Seattle or at SeaTac when I arrive. I also had delivered to me the Binax self test (not the supervised home test) so in case I have to fly without knowing my status I can be reasonably sure that I am negative and will eventually get a test. 

RE: Quest and HAL-- I went on the site noted just to check it out and there are no appointments within 70 miles (I gave up then). I suspect that if I had said I was symptomatic or had been exposed then I would have had more success. They never  listed "travel" as a reason for taking this test. I had to honestly check no to all questions so I guess I am low priority. 

Not a problem at this point-- maybe they will get their acts together at some point but right now I will pay my $179 and keep my fingers crossed for a negative test to get on the ship and enjoy myself. 

Hal says they have it available with 1500 Quest labs, that is less than 25% of Quest labs. Ther are over 6800 Quest labs in the US.

4 hours ago, Loreto said:

How will Quest know you are from Holland America?

That does not matter - because they make it sound like the test is free through HAL. It is not. It is only free if your insurance will foot the bill for testing for travel - most will not. You simply need to make sure they offer the correct test with a quick enough turnaround time. We could not find any Quest locations close by so ordered the obseved home tests instead. 

I am planning a Caribbean cruise for Dec 2021. Since I always fly in a few days early, I am bumping my flight up by a day so I have time to schedule a test. Right now I am looking at Walgreens. I will schedule the test as soon as  I can for that date. I will also do a test before I leave so I have time to change things if necessary.

Many of us seasoned cruisers fly in several days early so having to find and schedule a test in the port city can be difficult.

1 hour ago, lka1012 said:

I am planning a Caribbean cruise for Dec 2021. Since I always fly in a few days early, I am bumping my flight up by a day so I have time to schedule a test. Right now I am looking at Walgreens. I will schedule the test as soon as  I can for that date. I will also do a test before I leave so I have time to change things if necessary.

Many of us seasoned cruisers fly in several days early so having to find and schedule a test in the port city can be difficult.

I think I’m a pretty seasoned cruiser but I also work so several days ahead is not an option.  I definitely fly in the day before.  If you have that luxury more power to you.

3 hours ago, twodjs said:

That does not matter - because they make it sound like the test is free through HAL. It is not. It is only free if your insurance will foot the bill for testing for travel - most will not. You simply need to make sure they offer the correct test with a quick enough turnaround time. We could not find any Quest locations close by so ordered the obseved home tests instead. 

Yes, HAL makes it sound as if it is free, but belonging to an HMO it won't be with Quest, and 48 hour results is no good anyway.  I ordered the Binax home test 6 pack...and then our cruise was cancelled, buried at the end of the list....very ambiguous!  There is a silver lining, though.  our European River cruise leaves next week and the cruise line is recommending a rapid test, even though it it not required.  So we will use the Binax tests.