Latest (8/29) on COVID Testing

Cruise Suzy

From HAL's FAQ

Yes, we require ALL guests to produce a negative, medically observed, viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 3 days of their embarkation on all Holland America line sailings. This currently applies to sailings through October 31, 2021, however, guidance will be re-evaluated on an ongoing basis.

For U.S. guests, Holland America Line has partnered with Quest Diagnostics to provide over 1,500 locations in the United States to schedule a no-cost* COVID COVID-19 test appointment, with results delivered within 48 hours. Click here (No-Cost COVID-19 Testing (questdiagnostics.com)) to find a testing location near you.

* This COVID-19 no-cost-to-you program is available to eligible individuals for $0 out of pocket when billed to a health plan or the government.

Edited by Cruise Suzy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Cruise Suzy said:

From HAL's FAQ

Yes, we require ALL guests to produce a negative, medically observed, viral COVID-19 test (PCR or antigen) taken within 3 days of their embarkation on all Holland America line sailings. This currently applies to sailings through October 31, 2021, however, guidance will be re-evaluated on an ongoing basis.

For U.S. guests, Holland America Line has partnered with Quest Diagnostics to provide over 1,500 locations in the United States to schedule a no-cost* COVID COVID-19 test appointment, with results delivered within 48 hours. Click here (No-Cost COVID-19 Testing (questdiagnostics.com)) to find a testing location near you.

* This COVID-19 no-cost-to-you program is available to eligible individuals for $0 out of pocket when billed to a health plan or the government.

This seemed like what we've all been looking for (HAL to take some of the testing burden).

Then I put in my zip code (San Francisco Bay Area) to find "no testing sites" within 50 miles.

Then I tried my departure port (San Diego) and got the same result. 

Back to square one. But I assume it will work for lots of others if they have 1500 locations!

• Like 1

I took a quick look - it says results typically within 24-48 hours but I saw nothing that it guarantees it.  Also, at least in our area, it doesn't appear they offer the rapid tests.  Not sure what this gains us.

• Like 3

I go to Quest for my bloodwork. Checked this out and, as usual, the website is not the easiest to navigate when you get to where you have to select a date. Had to try three times before it showed the date I was looking for; it kept skipping ahead too far.  Have something scheduled but need to call to see what kind of PCR test they are doing.  I need an RT-PCR prior to an Iceland trip in September.

Edited by Reagan0712
Spelling

50 minutes ago, markwfpb said:

This seemed like what we've all been looking for (HAL to take some of the testing burden).

Then I put in my zip code (San Francisco Bay Area) to find "no testing sites" within 50 miles.

Back to square one. But I assume it will work for lots of others if they have 1500 locations!

===

Quite a few medical groups use Quest for their lab sites.  Maybe you have to check with your Patient Care Provider first to give you a referral to Quest.

I use UCSF and had to have a referral from a UCSF doctor to schedule test at UCSF.

Peter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, zelker said:

I took a quick look - it says results typically within 24-48 hours but I saw nothing that it guarantees it.  Also, at least in our area, it doesn't appear they offer the rapid tests.  Not sure what this gains us.

When I looked at the locations, there is a Quest Lab about 2 miles from my home...too good to be true!  I asked my HMO Kaiser what their turn around time was and was told 5 days.  I ordered the Binax Now ag card test 6 pack and it is scheduled to be delivered tomorrow.  More options would be nice other than a CVS for rapid testing 36 miles away and through a mountain pass which right now is on fire.

Karen

4 hours ago, zelker said:

Exactly--we need a rapid test result, not 24-48 hours with no guarantees of that for heaven's sake.  Who is dreaming up these things at HAL.  I want to know results while I'm at home and so I have a day (or two) to cancel res. if needed. 

Edited by 12cruise2
added words
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, markwfpb said:

I can find testing sites but there are no appointments available at any of the 3-8 sites (depending on the city or zip code entered) 🤨😡 Maybe they haven’t be entered? 

I live in The Villages Florida and I am going on the 9/04 sailing from Seattle to Alaska

Hence, I need a test this week. I have already booked a PCR at CVS (free) and a rapid test at Advent Health ($179) for Wednesday 9/01. I booked the PCR first and kept the appointment because in these parts it is never certain that you will have a rapid test available to you when you show up. My back up rapid test plan is Orlando airport on my way to Seattle or at SeaTac when I arrive. I also had delivered to me the Binax self test (not the supervised home test) so in case I have to fly without knowing my status I can be reasonably sure that I am negative and will eventually get a test. 

RE: Quest and HAL-- I went on the site noted just to check it out and there are no appointments within 70 miles (I gave up then). I suspect that if I had said I was symptomatic or had been exposed then I would have had more success. They never  listed "travel" as a reason for taking this test. I had to honestly check no to all questions so I guess I am low priority. 

Not a problem at this point-- maybe they will get their acts together at some point but right now I will pay my $179 and keep my fingers crossed for a negative test to get on the ship and enjoy myself. 

I have been pondering a question for the past couple of weeks concerning Covid on cruise ships. There is very little information and appears to be closely guarded by the CDC and cruise lines. The question I have been asking is if everyone follows all the conditions as discussed here what per cent of passengers or crew are being infected. Put another way if 2000 people get on Covid free how many of the 2000 are getting off with Covid or can be eventually traced back to cruising? Simple question. I would like to know the number/per cent because it will affect my future cruise planning. The wife and I are fully vaccinated. We have also taken a flu shot for the coming season. We follow the rules. We will take a booster (Covid) when offered. We miss cruising. Just would like to know the "breakthrough" stat so if any one can point me to an article it would be appreciated.

• Like 1

So I’m reading this with a critical eye. It implies HAL is covering the cost by the phrase “we have partnered with Quest.”

But there is also the disclaimer/qualifier:

This COVID-19 no-cost-to-you program is available to eligible individuals for $0 out of pocket when billed to a health plan or the government”

Is HAL taking the patient place of a health plan or the government?  If one has Kaiser, who a poster above says won’t cover for travel, is it still not out of pocket for the prospective pax?

• Like 1

I don’t know folks. Maybe I’m just getting a bit dense as I grow older. We are scheduled for three weeks on the Nieu Statendam commencing 2/23. We always fly out of Philly 2 days before the cruise. (there is always a chance of snow so we leave ourselves some cushion). That means we have to be tested on the day before we fly out and have the results in our hands. If the drug store fouls thing’s up we are screwed. For the first time after many cruises I have to wonder whether it is worth the hassle. Maybe we should consider just flying to one of the islands for a couple of weeks. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ICUQT said:

There is very little information and appears to be closely guarded by the CDC and cruise lines.

If you distrust the CDC and cruise lines this much, why would you even consider taking a cruise?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lstrong said:

Not helpful here in East San Diego county. No sites. I’m with Kaiser,  but they only test with a doctors order and not for travel. I guess I go to cvs, but was told $170 there:(

I just went ahead and ordered the Binax now, came to $180 for the six test kits.  Registered both of us.

1 hour ago, ICUQT said:

I have been pondering a question for the past couple of weeks concerning Covid on cruise ships. There is very little information and appears to be closely guarded by the CDC and cruise lines. The question I have been asking is if everyone follows all the conditions as discussed here what per cent of passengers or crew are being infected. Put another way if 2000 people get on Covid free how many of the 2000 are getting off with Covid or can be eventually traced back to cruising? Simple question. I would like to know the number/per cent because it will affect my future cruise planning. The wife and I are fully vaccinated. We have also taken a flu shot for the coming season. We follow the rules. We will take a booster (Covid) when offered. We miss cruising. Just would like to know the "breakthrough" stat so if any one can point me to an article it would be appreciated.

There have been news stories about every reported case on a cruise line operating out of the US, and some coverage on those cases on ships operating outside of the US. In summary, the numbers are VERY low.  A Google search will get you a number of stories.

To the best of my knowledge, HAL has none. Alaska cruises had one incident, involving one positive...think the cruise line was Celebrity. Carnival in the Caribbean, had a single patient, ending with a death. Celebrity or RCI had an incident with two positives in the Caribbean, I think. There have been one or two other incidents with American oriented cruise lines.

The info is out there if you look. Overall, my impression is the numbers are VERY low. The cruise line protocols seem to be working very well. Its as much about their reaction and management of new case(s), as the fact that they have a new case...how successful they are at isolating that new case(s) and preventing spread. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TiogaCruiser said:

So I’m reading this with a critical eye. It implies HAL is covering the cost by the phrase “we have partnered with Quest.”

This COVID-19 no-cost-to-you program is available to eligible individuals for $0 out of pocket when billed to a health plan or the government”

Is HAL taking the patient place of a health plan or the government?  If one has Kaiser, who a poster above says won’t cover for travel, is it still not out of pocket for the prospective pax?

This was my question to MinuteClinic (who does the testing for CVS). I called and explained that my health insurance would not cover the test since I am asymptomatic. I asked if I would be eligible for the federal program for testing. Customer service rep (Reina) said no, since I’m asymptotic the test would be $120 (which is strange because the website says $139). 

So maybe the same for Quest??? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Digging a little into the quoted Quest link yields this:

This COVID-19 no-cost-to-you program is available to eligible individuals for $0 out of pocket when billed to a health plan or the government. 

Individuals also have the right to have testing without submitting to insurance or the government for reimbursement. Individuals who want to pay for the testing and do not plan to seek reimbursement can purchase a COVID-19 Molecular Testor a COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test (NY Only) from QuestDirect. QuestDirect is unable to provide a receipt that contains the information generally required by health plans for reimbursement.”

Quest now has a direct lab testing “product” where you can go online and order, and pay for many “wellness” oriented tests without a prescription. Perhaps this is part of that?

2 hours ago, ICUQT said:

...The question I have been asking is if everyone follows all the conditions as discussed here what per cent of passengers or crew are being infected. Put another way if 2000 people get on Covid free how many of the 2000 are getting off with Covid or can be eventually traced back to cruising? Simple question. I would like to know the number/per cent because it will affect my future cruise planning....

See Post 230 and following on this Thread, where cases since the resumption of cruising in North America have been chronicled, up until a couple weeks ago. 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2778201-would-you-go-iv-everyone-is-not-vacinated/page/10/?tab=comments#comment-61257000

Other Cruise Line’s boards here on CC have been quite informative. Interesting how different lines have handled things.

Also, here is the CDC’s Cruise Ship Color Status page, updated Monday-Friday. 

https://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/cruise/cruise-ship-color-status.html 

Here’s some discussion on Nieuw Amsterdam’s Yellow status: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2794220-cdc-yellow-category-for-na-does-anyone-have-any-info-as-to-why/

Also see this about crew vaccinations: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2797507-is-the-crew-on-new-amsterdam-fully-vaccinated/

All the Best!

Edited by syesmar

7 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Quest now has a direct lab testing “product” where you can go online and order, and pay for many “wellness” oriented tests without a prescription. Perhaps this is part of that?

Perhaps, although HAL says it should be no cost. I would imagine with HAL’s mention of a partnership, there might be some sort of code in the future?

I wonder how long it will be before testing sites catering to cruise passengers in cruise port cities become available?

9 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Right, the small print says it is free, but only if you qualify for it being free.

12 hours ago, 12cruise2 said:

Exactly--we need a rapid test result, not 24-48 hours with no guarantees of that for heaven's sake.  Who is dreaming up these things at HAL.  I want to know results while I'm at home and so I have a day (or two) to cancel res. if needed. 

It seems the CDC with their ever changing recommendations is the one dreaming up these things.

10 hours ago, Boytjie said:

If you distrust the CDC and cruise lines this much, why would you even consider taking a cruise?

Boytjie nowhere in my post do I use the word "distrust". I lifted the "closely guarded" comment from an online article one of several articles in which I read. If you want to ask me do I have full confidence in the CDC my answer is NO! So if the CDC is so trusted (my word) then why is 50% of the US population vaccinated and the other 50% not? It appears to me that the CDC is trying to drive the Cruise industry into submission by regulation and mandate.  I believe in "personal choice" I don't want to be mandated, lock downed or otherwise told by the government (CDC) what they think is medically best for me. Just give me the information and I will make a sound decision like stated in my post above. The cruise lines will make that same type of decision because it will be in the best interest of their bottom line and the passengers they serve. Knowledge is power. I suggest you take a look at post 17,20 of this thread.

1 hour ago, ICUQT said:

Boytjie nowhere in my post do I use the word "distrust". I lifted the "closely guarded" comment from an online article one of several articles in which I read.

Since you did not apply quotes to the comment from an online article, one would assume it was your opinion.  

1 hour ago, ICUQT said:

So if the CDC is so trusted (my word) then why is 50% of the US population vaccinated and the other 50% not?

Since the CDC is not, and cannot, force anyone to get vaccinated, I am not sure what you are getting at. 

Edited by Boytjie
  • Like 1