Latest (8/29) on COVID Testing

Cruise Suzy

18 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

What people need to understand is the very rapid tests (which a cruise line would likely be doing at the gangway) are much more expensive, and somewhat less accurate. But people just think "no big deal, the deep pockets cruise line will pick up the cost".

Said it before, will say it again....testing 72 hours out is not as complicated as people think...just takes a little thought or planning. Have tested twice to go to Hawaii, with another, third trip in Covid time, already scheduled for Oct 2, testing if needed. And a similar timeline imagined for our cruise in late February.

We leave Mon. 10/4 for San Diego arriving 10:00 PM.  No testing here on Sunday.  Advised that I can get a test on Tuesday, but where?  CVS has two stores within walking distance of hotel, but they are not listed as giving tests.  Called our hotel and they were unaware of this issue and recommended a CVS miles from the hotel.  Will keep trying here in SW Florida at my local CVS for maybe early Monday morning.

It would be nice if HAL offered testing at the pier for 3 days prior to each sailing.  That way, we could be accommodated.  Are you listening HAL?  

Edited by Skipper's Mom
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, JB&JLG74 said:

We are near the McKay Creek trailhead.  When did they catch the arsonist?  Didn't see the news in the Daily Miner downloaded this morning.

They had video of him buying a jug of gasoline about an hour prior to the Two Rivers fire.  They had him in custody the next day, I think.  Here's an article from ADN: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crime-courts/2021/08/27/17-year-old-charged-in-connection-with-series-of-fires-in-two-rivers-area-east-of-fairbanks/

6 minutes ago, Taters said:

They had video of him buying a jug of gasoline about an hour prior to the Two Rivers fire.  They had him in custody the next day, I think.  Here's an article from ADN: https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crime-courts/2021/08/27/17-year-old-charged-in-connection-with-series-of-fires-in-two-rivers-area-east-of-fairbanks/

Thanks!!! I hope they throw the book at him.

• Like 1

I see many people suggest that HAL provide the testing at the pier.

• How many people would it take to administer tests for  everyone that boards a ship?
  • How do they provide testing at the pier for 3 days before the cruise if the terminal is also used by other ships?
  • How many support personnel are needed at the terminal to accommodate the testing (security etc), if the terminal is not open (no ships departing that day)?

3 hours ago, Skipper's Mom said:

We leave Mon. 10/4 for San Diego arriving 10:00 PM.  No testing here on Sunday.  Advised that I can get a test on Tuesday, but where?  CVS has two stores within walking distance of hotel, but they are not listed as giving tests.  Called our hotel and they were unaware of this issue and recommended a CVS miles from the hotel.  Will keep trying here in SW Florida at my local CVS for maybe early Monday morning.

It would be nice if HAL offered testing at the pier for 3 days prior to each sailing.  That way, we could be accommodated.  Are you listening HAL?  

CovidClinic.org has a testing site on Third Ave. Appts available Oct 5. Bad things: #1 You need to get there 😧; #2 (Rapid) Antigen (results in 1 hour) is $129. 
Good Luck. 

3 hours ago, Skipper's Mom said:

Well clearly you are not thinking or planning enough 🙄.  I just love it when people that are retired and can do things at anytime tell others how it’s no big deal.  If it’s no big deal for a person that’s  fine.  I would never make that assumption for others.  People seem to forget home much time work takes of your day.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boytjie said:

I see many people suggest that HAL provide the testing at the pier.

• How many people would it take to administer tests for  everyone that boards a ship?
  • How do they provide testing at the pier for 3 days before the cruise if the terminal is also used by other ships?
  • How many support personnel are needed at the terminal to accommodate the testing (security etc), if the terminal is not open (no ships departing that day)?

Everyone would likely not take advantage of it.  I have to fly from Canada so I’ll need to do a test before I leave.

12 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Well clearly you are not thinking or planning enough 🙄.  I just love it when people that are retired and can do things at anytime tell others how it’s no big deal.  If it’s no big deal for a person that’s  fine.  I would never make that assumption for others.  People seem to forget home much time work takes of your day.

Are you serious?  What makes you think that I'm retired or not working?  I've spent hours looking into this problem.  Why, if the cruise is listed as "vaccinated", do we need to test?  Unfortunately, HAL added this little additional task after most people were fully paid or more would have said forget it.  Your response is not helpful and unwarranted.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2021 at 1:42 PM, Taters said:

Well, there is no Quest Diagnostics in Fairbanks, Alaska, or in any part of Alaska.  They used to be here, but it looks like they've bailed. 

Honestly, HAL needs to recognize that they should set up testing facilities within their terminals like some other cruise lines do, and like they've done in Greece.  Luckily for me there is testing 7 days per week at the Fairbanks airport, holidays included.  If I didn't have this option I'd have to cancel my upcoming B2B cruises in late November/early December, as we have to get tested on Thanksgiving day.  Hopefully they will change their tune soon.  It seems a lot of people are cancelling due to lack of testing facilities.

Have you checked how the testing works at FAI?  That is, what kinds of tests available, what cost, and how quick for results?  I'll be departing from ANC to SEA to start my cruise.  Just curious because I am hoping that I can do the Walgreens test in ANC 3 days before, but like everyone, am looking for that backup.  

• Like 1

I am so happy I booked back up testing for us!

I showed up for my appointment at 11:45 am this morning and the health department drive through testing site was closed up.  No signs, no notification on the app, nothing!

My BF went at 8am and was promised results in a max of two hours and nothing.

We went to our scheduled Urgent Care appointments and had negative test results in hand in 30 minutes.

1st, 2nd and 3rd choice of date - May 19,20, or 25th 2023

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Skipper's Mom said:

Why, if the cruise is listed as "vaccinated", do we need to test?  

You're joking right? You are flying from Florida, which has one of the highest rates of Delta variant in the nation, and although being fully vaccinated helps, it does not GUARANTEE you are not bring the variant with you. HAL is simply adding one more level of protection with the negative test. Yes, it is a hassle, but being fully vaccinated, fully masked and testing negative makes the HAL cruise much safer than visiting your local grocery store! And Alaska is worth it!

6 hours ago, Skipper's Mom said:

Are you serious?  What makes you think that I'm retired or not working?  I've spent hours looking into this problem.  Why, if the cruise is listed as "vaccinated", do we need to test?  Unfortunately, HAL added this little additional task after most people were fully paid or more would have said forget it.  Your response is not helpful and unwarranted.

I'm not sure why you are angry with me.  I was 100% agreeing with you.  I was speaking about people upthread that were saying it's so easy to arrange test etc.  If you are not working of course everything is easy.  I guess you didn't read the thread or your would have seen that.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AKJonesy said:

Have you checked how the testing works at FAI?  That is, what kinds of tests available, what cost, and how quick for results?  I'll be departing from ANC to SEA to start my cruise.  Just curious because I am hoping that I can do the Walgreens test in ANC 3 days before, but like everyone, am looking for that backup.  

My adult daughter works on the North Slope, 2 weeks on/2 weeks off.  She has to test each and every time she she goes to work.  Most of the time she has to fly from Fairbanks to Anchorage to Deadhorse, then Kuparuk, and she has used the test sites at both FAI and ANC regularly.  They offer free COVID testing, and the last I heard they were doing several different kinds of testing.  The hours are from 6 AM to 2 PM 7 days per week in Fairbanks.  I'm not sure what the hours are in ANC.  At FAI they offer results via email, they can print it for you, and for Slope workers they give them a hospital type bracelet for them to wear to work so that no one loses their results.  I've tried to Google some recent information for you, but WOW there is a lot out there and I haven't been able to find exact answers online.  My daughter keeps me filled in...  With all of her flying and testing, she has had the latest information for me.  

In Fairbanks the testing site is in the baggage claim area.  I'm sure that someone in the ANC airport can point you in the right direction upon your arrival.

1 hour ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I'm not sure why you are angry with me.  I was 100% agreeing with you.  I was speaking about people upthread that were saying it's so easy to arrange test etc.  If you are not working of course everything is easy.  I guess you didn't read the thread or your would have seen that.

And even if someone is retired, that does not mean it is necessarily easy if there are no nearby testing facilities or if appointments get cancelled!

• Like 2

Finding the right testing with guaranteed turnarond time has NOT been easy. This partnership with Quest has been useless for us. I wasted a lot of time on the computer, since most of those locations in our area only test if you have symtoms or their results take too long. Thank goodness for another CC member who recommended a local pharmacy that does the correct test with quick turnaround. Never popped up on Google searches. Granted, if you are flying, most major airports offer the service, but our airport is 3 hours away, and we're driving directly to the cruise port. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ontheweb said:

And even if someone is retired, that does not mean it is necessarily easy if there are no nearby testing facilities or if appointments get cancelled!

Absolutely.  When a few people on the board say it’s so easy if you just look for appointments I get annoyed. Not once, but over and over it’s said how it’s no problem.  My day starts around 4 to 4:15 am until  I walk in the door 12 plus hours later 5 days a week.  I can’t even keep up on housework because I’m so wiped out.  Doesn’t leave a lot of time to run around getting a test never mind finding a place that is open after hours.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I apologize if I was not sympathitatic.  I am trying very hard to get scheduled.  Trying times indeed.

• Like 2

Yes, I feel all the frustration and it is comforting to know I am not alone! We are sailing 9/25 and I have spent  hours the last 2 days trying to find places that will give us a rapid test (few and far between) or a PCR test that will be back in time. Just when I think I have found an answer, it disappears or they don't  do that kind or they have no openings or it's too early to book or they've left town or........... Feels .like one of those dreams where you try and try but just cannot get to the goal. Maybe traveling right now is a stupid idea, but I just have to try because I really love the sea and the beach at HMC and the Dive-in burgers and the Pinnicle fillet with bearnaise and the spa.

So I'll try again tomorrow. Thank you all for listening. I feel a little calmer.

• Like 2

We live in San Diego and have used Worksite Labs before flying to Hawaii. Their cheapest rate is $90 for standard handling with results in under 24 hours.  They are located inside the Wally Park structure near the airport.

i also have Kaiser and know people who have taken their tests there before a flight.  they just messaged their doctor and asked for the order.

There isn’t a CVS that does rapid Covid testing downtown or near the airport for those of you flying in to board the ship.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mbiggers said:

We live in San Diego and have used Worksite Labs before flying to Hawaii. Their cheapest rate is $90 for standard handling with results in under 24 hours.  They are located inside the Wally Park structure near the airport.

i also have Kaiser and know people who have taken their tests there before a flight.  they just messaged their doctor and asked for the order.

There isn’t a CVS that does rapid Covid testing downtown or near the airport for those of you flying in to board the ship.

Here's what I found if you fly into SAN DIEGO and stay overnight an extra day or two:

From SAN, take transportation to the Doubletree by Hilton San Diego Mission Valley (be sure to get the correct Doubletree--in Mission Valley).  Stay overnight a couple of nights here.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/San+Diego+International+Airport+(SAN),+3225+N+Harbor+Dr,+San+Diego,+CA+92101/DoubleTree+by+Hilton+Hotel+San+Diego+-+Mission+Valley,+7450+Hazard+Center+Dr,+San+Diego,+CA+92108/@32.7442935,-117.2235433,13z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x80deab3944f1e6ef:0xdc2e46f957550b6b!2m2!1d-117.1933038!2d32.7338006!1m5!1m1!1s0x80d9553af85b1c11:0xa48611e9d9040b81!2m2!1d-117.1601746!2d32.7700114?hl=en

The CVS is .6 mile walk from the Doubletree at 5644 Mission Center Road, San Diego 92108.  This CVS offers the Rapid Antigen test at least as of now at 9/2/21.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/5644+Mission+Center+Road,+San+Diego,+CA/DoubleTree+by+Hilton+Hotel+San+Diego+-+Mission+Valley,+7450+Hazard+Center+Dr,+San+Diego,+CA+92108/@32.7722289,-117.1604659,17z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x80d955394700057f:0x550ad048b5de42c6!2m2!1d-117.1569999!2d32.7745868!1m5!1m1!1s0x80d9553af85b1c11:0xa48611e9d9040b81!2m2!1d-117.1601746!2d32.7700114?hl=en

Here's the CVS info.  If this link doesn't work, just google CVS covid testing, enter the zip code 92108 answer the few quick questions and it will take you to the CVS location at 5644 Mission Center Road.

I just backed into this info by looking first at CVS locations, then entered them on google maps one at a time, opened the map and looked for hotels nearby.  Hope these links work.

I'm guessing there are other CVS locations that could be found that might be near hotels that aren't very far from the pier. . .

Edited by 12cruise2
added words
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

Absolutely.  When a few people on the board say it’s so easy if you just look for appointments I get annoyed. Not once, but over and over it’s said how it’s no problem.  My day starts around 4 to 4:15 am until  I walk in the door 12 plus hours later 5 days a week.  I can’t even keep up on housework because I’m so wiped out.  Doesn’t leave a lot of time to run around getting a test never mind finding a place that is open after hours.  

Right, people make the assumption that it is easy where they are so it must be easy for everyone.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2021 at 6:53 PM, dobiemom said:

I can find testing sites but there are no appointments available at any of the 3-8 sites (depending on the city or zip code entered) 🤨😡 Maybe they haven’t be entered? 

Hi I was able to book an appointment at www.rapidtestingsd.com.  Located in San Diego. Same day rapid per test, with results the same day

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I apologize if I misinterpreted your post.  

19 hours ago, Taters said:

I've tried to Google some recent information for you, but WOW there is a lot out there and I haven't been able to find exact answers online.

You are absolutely right.  This whole testing thing is not easy at all.  Another issue that many people have said is that they have an appointment but then it's canceled because they don't have enough tests.  We are going to try and nab a morning appt. in Anchorage at Walgreens three days before vs worrying about the 72 hours (unless CDC then HAL changes the testing time) just so that we can try to avoid any issue of running out of tests.  Then, I think we will try and pop over to ANC since we're going to be in Anchorage anyway and talk to them about testing.  If we can do both; we will.  Out here in Wasilla, they have actually been closing testing at Capstone because so many people are getting testing.  I'm assuming this is due to DV and the high number of infections now present in the state.  Who knows what will happen in a few weeks?  We'll know what we know when we know it!  🙂  Thanks for your information.  

• Like 1

Carnival has just announced changing the 3 day period down to 2 days prior to cruising starting with the weekend of Sept. 11 and 12. Other cruiselines are expected to follow suit. So one more glitch in the planning process. They are discussing plans for mobile testing at the pier but didn't expect anything confirmed until probably November.